Trusted Contributor

Re: Pain relievers

[ Edited ]

Tylenol or motrin. I have to be careful with the motrin, had gastric user. I take plain old asprin for rare migraines.

I use tramadol daily for chronic pain, degenerative arthritis. And Voltaren cream.

Honored Contributor

Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Tylenol or motrin. I have to be careful with the motrin, had gastric user. I take plain old asprin for rare migraines.

I use tramadol daily for chronic pain, degenerative arthritis. And Voltaren cream.

You're fortunate.  Where I live you have to have a prescription for Tramadol.   I won't go into how I acquire it but I find that it does pretty much nothing for my pain.  However, it does help some with my depression and with this creepy physical anxiety I get in my arms and legs (especially my legs!).   I hate that worse than the pain! Smiley Happy   

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Tramadol is a much stronger medication than OTC motribn or tylenol. If it isn't helping your pain I doubt they will.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and find Advil does help.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For many years, ibuprofen has been the pain reliever that works for me. Thank goodness that two tabs will almost always alleviate the aches and pains within minutes.  Like other posters have mentioned, Tylenol does not work for me either.

Honored Contributor

My go-to is ibuprofen. Tylenol doesn't do diddly for me and never has. Aleve really gets to my stomach after only a couple of OTC doses, while I easily take Rx strength ibuprofen for multiple doses over days and it rarely or never affects my stomach. Sometimes I'll ask for a Rx because it's simpler to take 1 pill at a time than 4.

I have only had an injection of tramadol, not pills, but it didn't do a thing for pain re my particular issue. Have not taken Voltaren pills but the cream does work for my arthritis, to a point. Not available in the US OTC but is in Canada and can be mail order purchased.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I know you didn't ask for natural pain relievers, but here's to offer what I know: turmeric and Noni. (not necessarily together)

Pain is not a constant with me; I take turmeric (and use it on certain foods) for its antioxy properties.

But when I feel a migraine coming on, I have to grab the liquid gel Advils. 

There is another herbal pain reliever, if it's legal in your state. It comes in many types and forms and the type for medicinal use need have nothing to it except the pain relief factor.

I have had recent acute muscle and spinal issues and dental issues as well and the herb did more to allow my muscles to relax, the acute pain to fade to manageable, and allowed me to have a healing sleep so my body had a leg-up on healing itself, than any OTC med and even some Rx meds.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

You're fortunate.  Where I live you have to have a prescription for Tramadol.   I won't go into how I acquire it but I find that it does pretty much nothing for my pain.  However, it does help some with my depression and with this creepy physical anxiety I get in my arms and legs (especially my legs!).   I hate that worse than the pain! Smiley Happy   

@chickenbutt--I believe (am not a medical doctor, mind you) that you may have Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS).  If unfamiliar with it, google it.

I've had it before when I was low on iron.  Horrible feeling like I just wanted to run a marathon or anything.  Only happened in PM.  (Too late to go for a jog!)  I called it *happy feet*, but it really was in my legs.  Just wanted to exert energy or something.  Hard to explain.

But some people actually experience a creepy crawly feeling like ants or something running up your legs.  Some people experience intense pain.

Luckily, for me, it (RLS) went away with (doctor prescribed) over the counter iron supplements.  And the deficiency went away when I went through meno.  Had to do with heavy....blah.

I've read (here possibly) some people experienced RLS from magnesium deficiency, potassium defic., and I think even calcium deficiency. 

So most likely you are lacking something in the vitamin/mineral category.  You may want to give one at a time, a try, to see if it alleviates your feeling.

I've gotten it in my arms before which is weirder than the legs and it is the worst feeling.  Almost like it's in your chest or something.

HTH.  Sorry so long.....!

Honored Contributor

I found out through a GI test (can't remember if it was an endoscopy looking for Celiac) that my stomach is very irritated.

Had no idea!  Not known to me through pain or *anything*.  But one thing I'm supposed to stay away from is acetemiphin, ibuprofen, etc. 

Luckily, I'm never in pain.  I don't get headaches, but maybe one a year and it usually goes away on it's own.

I don't want to tempt fate and develop anything worse, so I don't even do the baby asprin a day.  My Dr. never suggested taking one of those anyway.

I guess if he did, and I gladly would, if it could be cleared by a GI doc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi LC!   Thanks for all that useful and helpful information!    I do have some degree of that.

Because of that I had done some research a while back and determined that Magnesium and Folic Acid were what I needed.  So, every evening I also take 1500mg of Mag Citrate and a Folic Acid/something else sublingual.

I think this must have really helped me a lot because I hardly ever get more than a hint of it.  One time I tried dialing back the Mag to 1,000 and it wasn't enough.    I thought I could save some money having a bottle last 60 days instead of 45.  Nope!   So I went back to the 1,500.  

I also eat some raw almonds every day.

I don't go to doctors anymore so I just do my own research and treat things the best I can.  That RLS thing, though - what a nightmare.  I'd rather be in extreme pain than have that because it will keep me awake the whole night, no matter how tired I am.

ETA - I forgot to say that I also was getting it during the night but the really weird thing was that it was always my right leg and often my right arm along with it.  Strange, that!  The kind of slight jimmy leg thing I get during the day, with which the Tramadol helps, is different.  It's like a weakness/anxiety combination.  Not severe but enough to not feel good.