Honored Contributor

I have suddenly developed a pain in my forefoot.  The part of the foot just before the toes.  The one where you put your weight on it while you walk.  It's just one foot.  I took an Advil and the pain is a lot less.  Anyone have this?  The pain isn't burning.  Just a kind of a dull, achy kind of pain.  I checked symptons online, but it could be anything. I know it's not my shoes.  I've been wearing my favorite sneaker with any kind of discomfort for months now.  I'm wondering if I have a stress fracture.

Super Contributor

I have that pain because I have flat feet so the ball of my foot takes the brunt of the weight my toes should be helping with. I cant remember what my doctor called it but there are inserts you can use. It felt like a stone bruise. I used the inserts for awhile and it went away. It bothers me a little off and on but not that much.   

Valued Contributor

You could have a stress fracture.  See a Podiatrist.

Respected Contributor

I think ZenWen is referring to a Morton's Neuroma.  I've had one for many years, but I learned how to control it to the point where I rarely have any pain.  If that's what it is, the pain will be at the base of the middle toes.  It may not hurt real badly at first, it could start out as periodic numbness, but if you ignore it, it will get so bad it will keep you awake all night.

It usually happens to people with flat feet and who are wearing shoes that don't have enough room in the toe box and don't have enough arch support.  There is a nerve that passes between a couple of bones in your forefoot, and when it's getting "squished" between those bones it developes a little growth on it (Morton's Neuroma).  That neuroma rubs on the bones even more, so that's what causes the pain.  You make it get smaller again by adjusting your footwear.

What worked for me was getting rid of all my old shoes (gradually) and replacing them with more supportive ones with either rounded or anatomically shaped toe boxes.  My favorite band is Birkenstock, but I also can wear Earth, Naturalizer, Alegria, and a few others.  Thankfully, there are many more fashionable choices these days.  For running, I usually have to add an extra arch support to my shoes.  Supporting the arch is really key.  If it's really a broken bone (very possible), an arch support will not help, so you'll know......but bones usually break farther back on the foot, not near the toes.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I have suddenly developed a pain in my forefoot.  The part of the foot just before the toes.  The one where you put your weight on it while you walk.  It's just one foot.  I took an Advil and the pain is a lot less.  Anyone have this?  The pain isn't burning.  Just a kind of a dull, achy kind of pain.  I checked symptons online, but it could be anything. I know it's not my shoes.  I've been wearing my favorite sneaker with any kind of discomfort for months now.  I'm wondering if I have a stress fracture.

@songbird

You ever have cramps in your calf muscles on either leg? Do you have flat feet? My feet are as flat can be, and since I was a runner for many decades, and I already had back surgery to remove to ruptured discs(L-5/S-1), I had 2 different Sports Med Podiatrists work together to make me permanent Orthotics for me. My back issues along with very flat feet, made it harder to come up with the exact Orthotic that would work for me.

Foot problems can be responsible for injuries to many parts of your body, even above the hips.

I'll see what you reply before I throw everything it could/might be at you. As far as a stress fracture? Unless your bone density is very low, or you have been doing a lot of high impact exercises, I would be surprised if that were your problem. But some stress fractures don't even show up on a regular X-ray, so who knows.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@songbird - get to the doctor and get checked out and even an X-ray.  It might be a pinched nerve or something else.  I woke up one morning and had pain on the top of my left foot.  Pinched nerves and went for months to a chiro...no walking for about six months, then light weight bearing for six months after. This was two plus years ago and my foot still aches, however, I can do moderate exercise....jogging. No running, no sand. No trails. No hills...just treadmill. Don't wait and get it checked out.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

It does sound like Morton's neuroma.  The foot doctor can tell you for sure.  I don't suffer from it, but my high, flexible arches cause problems.  I, too, swear by Birkenstocks, and wear their insole in my sneakers.  I wish they'd bring them back here.

Regular Contributor

Yep, Mortons Neuroma....

Honored Contributor

This must be what I have  on my right foot. It comes and goes. 

Esteemed Contributor

YES, COULD BE MORTONS NEUROMA.  I have it .  Never bothers me until I actually sit down after 2-3 hours of dancing.  I do wear good shoes but it bothers me horribly for about five minutes.  I take off my shoe (right foot), stretch my toes, the pain goes away and I get up to dance the rest of the evening.  Never  a problem when I am actually moving, just went I sit to rest.