Esteemed Contributor

A friend and I were having a discussion about the side effects included with our prescriptions.  I don't think I want to read them anymore.  Let's face it, some of those side effects sound worse than the disease the medication is supposed to cure.  I will admit there  were times I was hesitant to take the medication and I do realize the percentage of the effects rarely, if at all happens.  Nevertheless, they are scary.  Do they bother you?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: PRESCRIPTION SIDE EFFECTS

I have been fortunate most of my life to need very few medications. That being said recently I was put on a BP med, that made my legs and ankles swell alarmingly. Then I was prescribed an antibiotic that made me break out in a rash that was so bad I look a bit like a burn victim. I take nothing for granted anymore, and .I know what to watch out for.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Many Drs have told me over the years that when people are testing out these drugs, the drug company has to (by law) list every complication (or whatever happened) during the testing.

My son-in-law (in college) volunteered for some of the testing for cold medicines and a few other things (til my daughter put a stop to it).

He said he used to talk to some of the people who were volunteering.  Some of them were hypochondriacs and thought they had some of just about everything.  He said he stopped talking to people because he thought they were just weird.

I don't read those things.  My Dr usually tells me (because they know ME) what to expect and look out for and what I should expect.

I don't take very many kinds of medicine.  When my Dr tells me he/she would like for me to try something we talk about it and in the end I decide if I want to take it and how necessary it is.

I guess I'm lucky because I don't have much wrong with me.  Recently the Dr said, "Why do you fight me on medicine?"  I said, "When was the last time you subtracted a medicine"?  He said, "Good point".  Period.

I know people who take a medicine and then have to take another one to counter the first medicine.  In the end we should listen to our Drs AND to our own bodies.

My grandmother raised me.  She was 1/2 Cherokee Indian.  She taught me lots of home remedies to use and to learn to listen to my body.  That's what I try to do.

Incidentally, I'm going to my Drs tomorrow to pick up the free medicine he gives me because I won't take the generic brand and the original brand is over $300 per month.  He gives me his free samples to take every month.  No medicine should cost anyone $300 per month.

Honored Contributor

It only bothers me when a drug that I have been prescribed causes side effects that require me to take another Rx medWoman Frustrated. To me that's just crazy.true.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I have been fortunate most of my life to need very few medications. That being said recently I was put on a BP med, that made my legs and ankles swell alarmingly. Then I was prescribed an antibiotic that made me break out in a rash that was so bad I look a bit like a burn victim. I take nothing for granted anymore, and .I know what to watch out for.

Was the BP med Benicar (sp)?  I was on that one for a year and a new doctor took me off of it due to ankle swelling.  BP meds have a diuretic in them, at least that is what I was told so there shouldn't be swelling.  Hope all is good with you now.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

They all say basically the same thing. They have to cover all bases and give every dire warning possible. The last one is usually death.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Many Drs have told me over the years that when people are testing out these drugs, the drug company has to (by law) list every complication (or whatever happened) during the testing.

My son-in-law (in college) volunteered for some of the testing for cold medicines and a few other things (til my daughter put a stop to it).

He said he used to talk to some of the people who were volunteering.  Some of them were hypochondriacs and thought they had some of just about everything.  He said he stopped talking to people because he thought they were just weird.

I don't read those things.  My Dr usually tells me (because they know ME) what to expect and look out for and what I should expect.

I don't take very many kinds of medicine.  When my Dr tells me he/she would like for me to try something we talk about it and in the end I decide if I want to take it and how necessary it is.

I guess I'm lucky because I don't have much wrong with me.  Recently the Dr said, "Why do you fight me on medicine?"  I said, "When was the last time you subtracted a medicine"?  He said, "Good point".  Period.

I know people who take a medicine and then have to take another one to counter the first medicine.  In the end we should listen to our Drs AND to our own bodies.

My grandmother raised me.  She was 1/2 Cherokee Indian.  She taught me lots of home remedies to use and to learn to listen to my body.  That's what I try to do.

Incidentally, I'm going to my Drs tomorrow to pick up the free medicine he gives me because I won't take the generic brand and the original brand is over $300 per month.  He gives me his free samples to take every month.  No medicine should cost anyone $300 per month.

When my very close friend had cancer she had to take drugs that cost thousands a month.   Fortunately she was able to get them free as many people do because pharmaceutical companies will allow it upon request for certain situations.

Honored Contributor

OOOOHHHH!

I never have a adverse side effect from a drug until I had to take Anastrozole.

I had breast cancer. And the Cancer Doctor put me on Anastrozole. He said I was to take it for 5 years and then later said maybe 10 years.

My right knee started killing me. Then my left foot started to hurt. I kept telling the Doctor about being barely able to walk. He changed my medication 2 times. He said the drug I am on now, I shouldn't have any trouble. 

But I think because my right knee hurts so much, I am making my left knee do alot more work. So on occasion my left knee and left hip start to bother me. 

When it first started hurting, my husband went on line to read reviews. And the first review he read said " this prescription has changed a 50 year old women into a 90 year old man". The prescription blocks estrogen production, therefore she feels like a man. That is exactly what I feel. I hobble around like I am 90 years old.

Honored Contributor

Yes. It is very important to me what I put in my body or not.  I read everything about the drug....and ask lots of questions before I  decide take something prescribed to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Doctors just love me.  I take nothing theyy prescribe.  Adverse effects for everything.