Esteemed Contributor

I have written before about dh and his health problems. He was in a hospital and then a nursing home. I just got a call his time with medicare is up and will be released this weekend. I can not afford $7,OOO. I called hospice and signed in hopes this will be helpful. I am scared for he looked awful when I was there last. He is on oxygen. I have only one child who helps me a lot for I do not drive. No other living relatives. Please wish the best for all of us. Again give up those cigarettes, he couldn't or didn't want to.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I have written before about dh and his health problems. He was in a hospital and then a nursing home. I just got a call his time with medicare is up and will be released this weekend. I can not afford $7,OOO. I called hospice and signed in hopes this will be helpful. I am scared for he looked awful when I was there last. He is on oxygen. I have only one child who helps me a lot for I do not drive. No other living relatives. Please wish the best for all of us. Again give up those cigarettes, he couldn't or didn't want to.

I lost both my beloved mother (age 49) and sister to lung and colon cancers due to smoking.  Believe me, I am with YOU 100%!! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I have lost so many i love from smoking, my dadwas 61,  my mil, my grandmother,and my dear aunt.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry the OP is going through this.  We run a business where we meet and see a lot of high school and college age boys.  So many of them smoke.  I just don't understand it.  We have known that smoking was bad for your health for such a long time.  Why do these young people start?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry that you are going through this . My mom who was the strongest person I have

ever known, couldn't give up smoking, and my dad quit after 2 heart attacks. Though neither

one had lung cancer. smoking contributed to their deaths. I quit in 1996 and I think it was the best thing I have ever done for myself.  You have my thoughts and prayers, for whatever they are worth.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Halfpint1 I'm so sorry for you and your Family. I to wish now I never started smoking over 35 years ago. I have Heart Disease runs on my Moms side and though they had other health issues it was Heart Attacks that killed them meaning Grandparents on my Moms side and my Mom who smoked and passed away at age 42 of a Heart Attack and the very next Morning a Massive Heart Attack which took her. Even with this knowledge it didn't affect me smoking. Smoking for me eased my nerves and I actually enjoyed sad to say but true. Then on September 24,2014 I had a Heart Attack and didn't realize it and waited four hours to go to Hospital and my Husband drove me there. I quit smoking the day of my Heart Attack. Now I also have Diabetes. As if this isn't bad enough I go into the Hospital for low Blood Pressure and find my Hemoglobin is low, will need Blood and a Chest X ray shows a Mass this was on 12/26/2016. I see my now Surgeon and I have stage 1 Lung Cancer. The mass is small and operable and he doesn't see me requiring Radiation or Chemotherapy. I have been so afraid and have lost 19 lbs I now think due to Stress and not eating much. I had my Pet Scan on Tuesday which confirmed Cancer and that it hasn't chaged any and it is no where else.  So I agree with the please don't Smoke in some form you will pay a huge price. My Cancer was found early and some intervention had me go to the Hospital for my Heart and they found a Nodule they called it now is Cancer.

Respected Contributor

@kitty4me  Your story touched my heart.  I pray you will have a complete recovery and have many more wonderful years of life.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@halfpint1  I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.  It always breaks my heart to see people being controlled by that horrible habit.  I'm so thankful I never started it.  I'm divorced, but my former MIL, who was a wonderful person, had asthma and emphysema, but still professed she would never give up her cigarettes.  When she was about 72, she was diagnosed with lung cancer.  When I went to visit her, she told me she had quit smoking as soon as she was diagnosed.  I said that must have been really, really difficult.  Her reply to me was that it actually was easy!  I was so taken aback.........What a shame she hadn't done it sooner.   She succumbed to the disease soon after.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:

Halfpint1 I'm so sorry for you and your Family. I to wish now I never started smoking over 35 years ago. I have Heart Disease runs on my Moms side and though they had other health issues it was Heart Attacks that killed them meaning Grandparents on my Moms side and my Mom who smoked and passed away at age 42 of a Heart Attack and the very next Morning a Massive Heart Attack which took her. Even with this knowledge it didn't affect me smoking. Smoking for me eased my nerves and I actually enjoyed sad to say but true. Then on September 24,2014 I had a Heart Attack and didn't realize it and waited four hours to go to Hospital and my Husband drove me there. I quit smoking the day of my Heart Attack. Now I also have Diabetes. As if this isn't bad enough I go into the Hospital for low Blood Pressure and find my Hemoglobin is low, will need Blood and a Chest X ray shows a Mass this was on 12/26/2016. I see my now Surgeon and I have stage 1 Lung Cancer. The mass is small and operable and he doesn't see me requiring Radiation or Chemotherapy. I have been so afraid and have lost 19 lbs I now think due to Stress and not eating much. I had my Pet Scan on Tuesday which confirmed Cancer and that it hasn't chaged any and it is no where else.  So I agree with the please don't Smoke in some form you will pay a huge price. My Cancer was found early and some intervention had me go to the Hospital for my Heart and they found a Nodule they called it now is Cancer.

@kitty4me  I hope your treatment goes well. Don't beat yourself up. There are many, many cases of lung cancer today in non smokers. Not making excuses, but you need all your energy channeled into positive thoughts for recovery. 

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 ~ I am sorry for what you and your family are going through.

My dad is nearly 88 years old and was a Camel, non filter cigarette smoker even since I can recall.  He had triple bypass when he was 62 and quit for a few years.  Then, 3 years ago he had an aortic valve replacement and never picked up another cigarette. 

DH developed stage IV bladder CA when he was 46 (he just turned 70).  When his PCP was discussing DH's case with his partner, the senior partner asked if the patient smoked.  PCP said, "Yes".  Senior partner said, "that's the #1 cause of bladder CA".  DH never picked up another cigarette the day of surgery.  He also used to embibe a bit and he never touched alcohol for years after.  He now has an occasional beer or glass of wine but those are far and few between.

Hospice is a good choice and I believe it's good for up to one year.  At least when my mom was in a nursing home, that's the way it was but, I'm now sure about now.