Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis: where do I begin????

@Julie23 wrote:

There's a lot to say on this but your mind might be swimming, so I'll keep it brief.  Hopefully, with looking into things on your own, you'll find more information.  Knowledge is power.

One of the things I found very interesting was first learning that the countries with the highest "dairy" consumption have the highest rate of hip fractures.  "Dairy" is not what it's sold to be.  I know hearing that is controversial.  But, it's something to consider.  As someone else mentioned, much of what we eat as Americans is acid-forming.  That acidity created in the body is "buffered" using the body's own calcium reserves (bones).

Also, if you want to listen to additional information specifically on osteoporosis and the drugs that are used to treat it (and the effects of those), I highly recommend simply doing a google search for John McDougall, MD and osteoporosis.  

I hope you find this information helpful.   

Dairy really isn't the best source of calcium, but most people will refuse to believe that.       There are good supplements out there .......   and ones that just waste your money.    

My friend's aunt has terrible osteoporosis, and she's crazed because she made a point of taking Tums for calcium every day of her adult life.    Unfortunately, calcium carbonate doesn't absorb well into the system, so she might as well have been taking nothing.

Respected Contributor

I am in total agreement with you on the dairy issue-I knocked it out of my diet. I really do enjoy vegan cheese when I need a "cheese" fix, and nutritional yeast is not a bad stand in.  As far as supplements go, I am not a fan....and on the Tums issue, overuse can cause serious electrolyte disturbances. The only supplement I have used as of late is Vitamin D: my levels were so low they were almost off the scale. That being said, my doctor put me on 2000 IU a day and they are now in the "low-normal" range, so that's an improvement.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Julie23 wrote:

There's a lot to say on this but your mind might be swimming, so I'll keep it brief.  Hopefully, with looking into things on your own, you'll find more information.  Knowledge is power.

One of the things I found very interesting was first learning that the countries with the highest "dairy" consumption have the highest rate of hip fractures.  "Dairy" is not what it's sold to be.  I know hearing that is controversial.  But, it's something to consider.  As someone else mentioned, much of what we eat as Americans is acid-forming.  That acidity created in the body is "buffered" using the body's own calcium reserves (bones).

Also, if you want to listen to additional information specifically on osteoporosis and the drugs that are used to treat it (and the effects of those), I highly recommend simply doing a google search for John McDougall, MD and osteoporosis.  

I hope you find this information helpful.   

Dairy really isn't the best source of calcium, but most people will refuse to believe that.       There are good supplements out there .......   and ones that just waste your money.    

My friend's aunt has terrible osteoporosis, and she's crazed because she made a point of taking Tums for calcium every day of her adult life.    Unfortunately, calcium carbonate doesn't absorb well into the system, so she might as well have been taking nothing.

Calcium carbonate works for me, my osteopenia has remained stable for the last 12 years, take 1200 mg daily.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already commented above so I'll just add this in here.  It might be helpful to those wanting to know more regarding supplements.  Again, just something to think about.  I honestly believe calcium is better absorbed and utilzed by the body when gotten from food.  A Google search for plant sources of calcium will bring up different foods.  The plant sources do not have the issues that dairy has.  And, there is a free website called cronometer (dot) com.  When you put in your food intake, it will log your calcium intake, among other things.

Nutritionfacts (dot) org has helpful research-based information on various subjects.  He has videos that speak to the concerns with calcium supplements. 

Respected Contributor

Julie, I agree with you. Every other year, our dear government spends millions on studies that demonstrate vitamins and supplements don't work....and supplements are unregulated, so one can never be sure of what one is consuming.  A number of physicians and RDs have said the best source of nutrients is our food.  There are millions of wonderful micronutrients and phytonutrients in plants that are just now being identified: still, science has a long way to go, and until "they" figure it out, whole, fresh food is our best bet!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Mine came on early due to the chemo I had.

It's hardly Doom worthy. Now I'm moving onto Prolia to treat it but again it's still not cancer. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have words of wisdom, but just wanted to commiserate.  Several years ago I was diagnosed with severe osteo.  I was mad at my doctors and mad at myself.  I consider myself fairly intelligent but for some reason this stuff never entered my mind and I never realized that it could be a problem.  No doctors ever suggested I be tested or anything.  And I am very fair -cannot tolerate the sun, and am very small boned and thin and went through menopause.  I was angry at both my primary and gyne. as neither of them suggested any tests or told me about any of this and I for some reason just was not knowledgable about it.  So, now I have it.  I have been getting Reclast for the last 5 years.  It has not helped me at all.  I don't know what to do.  I cannot do much in the way of exercise because of health problems.  I have always tried to eat well and I take various supplements.  I always used to exercise, too -- alot.  So, I guess it was all for naught.  I wish you good luck.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Life Extension has a nice article about if you would like to read:

http://www.lifeextension.com/protocols/metabolic-health/osteoporosis/page-01

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

Mine came on early due to the chemo I had.

It's hardly Doom worthy. Now I'm moving onto Prolia to treat it but again it's still not cancer. 

Prolia is a twice a year injection with good data.  I'd take that FAR before I'd take a biphosphonate.  Prolia actually can build bone.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Thank you all for taking time to respond. There is no question it's osteoporosis.....but what is very frightening to me is a possibility of multiple myeloma. I am going for more tests, and we will see what those reveal. I have a pretty strong rheumatoid factor that finally showed up: I say "finally" because my body was showing me something, but tests were negative until now. I have to say, whatever is going on, it's crankin'!  All kinds of things going on ranging from symptoms of Sjorgren Syndrome to maybe rheumatoid arthritis....( This week my fingers not only swelled at the joints, but my right thumb actually looked broken). The pain woke me up....I have all kinds of nodules on my thyroid, but believe me, my docs are not smiling on testing.

Reba, you voiced one of my worst fears with what you have suffered with Fosamax....my heart goes out to you, and I mean that. A couple of docs have told me there is a strong correlation with osteonecrosis and daily use of this class of drugs. We don't have a full and clear picture of what is going on with me, and my question is what does indeed happen if you take one of the long term medications and crop up with something like parathyroid issues, or cancer originating in the marrow?

Sidsmom, I agree with you. I gave up dairy and red meat the past year because fat can carry a lot of toxins, and the longer it takes for an animal to achieve maturity, the more toxins it can absorb. I am still an omnivore: I would like to go vegan, but I really need to speak with a RD or Diabetes Educator before I take that plunge.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to post

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  I'm sorry, I missed your response. We have some things in common. I have tested negative for RA, Sjogrens, and Lupus although it is highly suspected and I have a strong family history. I have been diagnosed with MGUS which is a precursor to multiple myeloma, but may never develop. Bloodwork is stable now. I've also had thyroid nodules that went away right before they thought they would have to do surgery. I know this was from prayers answered. They just were all of a sudden gone! Nothing has come back and I just had an ultrasound again recently.  How weird that we have all that in common?  Hmmm. 

I was prescribed Fosomax way back when we didn't have access to information like today and I stupidly just followed my doctor's orders. I have heard positive things about Prolia as another poster stated and know someone doing very well with it 

The Vitamin D connection to bone health is interesting too. I can't take any type of Vit D, they all cause allergic type reactions. My Vit D stays low now, never before. Im a native Floridian who in my younger days before having so many health issues, was always out in the sun. I have to remind myself often now to get out and get some sun!

There's been great advice given. Try not to fret, a good diet with green leafy veggies, weight bearing exercise. I've gotten lax again with some things. I've been in a lot of pain and I'm a bit worn down. This is a great reminder to us all. Hopefully with the New Year I can get motivated to work on my diet more. I don't eat that bad and I'm not overweight but I eat too many carbs. And I have been drinking too much coffee again. Bad for this, but good for some things. Can't win 😆

I'm super tired. Hope I didn't babble on too bad. We just have much of the same things so I wanted to point that out. Let me know how things turn out.   If I find any great answer to mine, I'll let you know. Good luck!!