Super Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis: where do I begin????

[ Edited ]

The first piece of advice I can give you is don't panic.  Enjoy your family for the holidays.  Then take time to read information about the treatments and natural things you can do so that you can make and informed decision about your body.  When I was diagnosed I panicked and took the Reclast injection as per doctor's orders.  I then researched everything and my choice would have been different.   So take your time.

It would be great if you can find a doctor that will take the time to find out the cause of your sudden change.  Dr. Susan Brown has some of the tests on her website mentioned below.

I walk using a weighted vest using good posture and do the exercise program  by Margaret Martin - Melioguide site mentioned below.  Margaret's program has given me the greatest hope.  It is really important to learn how to move safely and without flexion which is on her website and youtube videos.

I also eat a diet with lots of vegetables, some fruit and nuts and low fat protein.  I don't eat much sugar or dairy but use almond milk.  I also went gluten free.  I do take some supplements.  I took an average of what was suggested in everything I read to make my daily dose. It seems that vitamin k-2 is the newest vitamin to add to calcium and vitamin d.

Like I said earlier, relax.  Stressing out over your diagnosis is not good for your bones or your spirit either.  There are so many people out here like me with osteoporosis living happy lives.   Wishing the best for you.  Keep us posted on what you learn and/or decide.

Books -

Your Bones by Lara Pizzorno

Dr. Lanis' No-Nonsence Bone Health Guide by Lani Simpson

Websites -

www.melioguide.com - Margaret Martin is a Physical Therapist that has developed exercises safe for people with osteoporosis.  She has many youtube videos that I recommend you spend some time on.  It is importatnt to learn how to do everyday tasks safely.

www.Betterbones.com - Susan Brown is another good source.

www.Lanisimpson.com - website for the book above.

www.NOF.org - National Osteoporosis Foundation is a good reference and also has a community board where you can learn more from people with osteoporosis.

http://strengthtrainingforosteoporosis.com - Susie Hathaway has some exercises and a blog.

www.Saveourbones.com - Vivian Goldschmidt has some good reading on her site but I don't know that I would buy her program.

A lot of the websites have email newsletters you can sign up for.

Honored Contributor

I have stage 2 renal failure which can lower vit D levels and I take daily prednisone for my asthma which can predispose you to osteoporosis. So I spend some time every day outside - usually either walking or swimming. (I live in Fl. so I can swim most of the year) My doctor recommends a half hour  a day outside - no sunscreen.(vit D is blocked by sunscreen, so I only put it on my face) I also eat a lot of dairy and drink lots of milk. I can't quite stand skim but I do drink 1%. So far my vit D & calcium levels have been staying within the normal range, despite that my doctors keep expecting them to drop. My dexascan was also normal. So far so good. It is extremely difficult to replace vit d and calcium with supplements.

Honored Contributor

My doctor advised me to take supplements, and said that to consume enough dairy through diet would lead to weight gain. I take both calcium and vitamin d, plus drink two 8 ounce servings of Fairlife skim milk daily. I get thirty minutes of sun and fun each day in Texas. 

Honored Contributor

Just for your knowledge - in order for your body to hold onto calcium you have to have vitamin D and in order for you to hold on to vit D requires a fat molecule. Every person requires at least 40 gm of fat a day. Many people develop low vit D & then of course low calcium due to never being exposed to any sun without sunscreen and doing low fat diets to excess. Frequently people are unable to keep enough supplement Calcium or vit D in their body making using supplements a poor choice. 

Frequently things that are a good idea - like sunscreen or low fat diets become very unhealthy when done to excess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tissyanne wrote:

My doctor advised me to take supplements, and said that to consume enough dairy through diet would lead to weight gain. I take both calcium and vitamin d, plus drink two 8 ounce servings of Fairlife skim milk daily. I get thirty minutes of sun and fun each day in Texas. 

1% milk has 2 1/2 gm of fat per 8 oz glass. Your body requires  40 gm of fat a day.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a lot to say on this but your mind might be swimming, so I'll keep it brief.  Hopefully, with looking into things on your own, you'll find more information.  Knowledge is power.

One of the things I found very interesting was first learning that the countries with the highest "dairy" consumption have the highest rate of hip fractures.  "Dairy" is not what it's sold to be.  I know hearing that is controversial.  But, it's something to consider.  As someone else mentioned, much of what we eat as Americans is acid-forming.  That acidity created in the body is "buffered" using the body's own calcium reserves (bones).

Also, if you want to listen to additional information specifically on osteoporosis and the drugs that are used to treat it (and the effects of those), I highly recommend simply doing a google search for John McDougall, MD and osteoporosis.  

I hope you find this information helpful.   

Contributor

Ms X, I had the same problem with calcium supplements. Please check out Lessman's vitamins. He is on hsn. This vitamin I can take & have no problem. It's a capsule you'll love them.  When he is on his shipping is free and he always has good specials. All his vitamins have no fillers and they are not rock hard. Check it out. ;-)

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Sidsmom, I agree with you. I gave up dairy and red meat the past year because fat can carry a lot of toxins, and the longer it takes for an animal to achieve maturity, the more toxins it can absorb. I am still an omnivore: I would like to go vegan, but I really need to speak with a RD or Diabetes Educator before I take that plunge.

@Poodlepet2

You're on the right track!

FYI:  RD, Diabetes Educators and especially Physicians are very biased with their services.  Rare you will find them promoting a plant-based diet.  Why? There's no money in it.  RD/Diabetes Educators are usually sponsored by supplements or councils that have very deep pockets.  Doctors?  Just look at the drug companies they promote...to keep you coming back.  

With the online resources, anyone can do this with ease.  When someone is shoving down Dominos pizza every night with Twinkies & Coke, no one worries if they're nutritional deficient.   Tell someone you're plant-based & suddenly everyone worries about your protein/calcium/etc need.  It's really a SMH moment!

"...take that plunge" makes it sound difficult.  It's not.  It's just a little potato.  Just a little apple.   It's not scary!  

If you want a plant-based RD, check out Jeff Novick, RD.  He works with many of the popular plant-based doctors.  Go to YouTube, search for Jeff Novick...lots of videos. He also has a FB page, Jeff Novick, MS, RD...lots of informative articles & meal suggestions. 

Respected Contributor

Once again, thank you all for sharing your insights, and Lizzy, thank you for all the wonderful information. Knowledge is power and I like to know various viewpoints.

Sidsmom, I am familiar with Dr. M: bless my soul, I latched onto him in the 80's when AOL and Prodigy ruled the Net.  At that time, he divided plants into "rich" not so good for you and "good" for you....any use of nuts or oil was frowned upon. There were a couple of juvenile diabetics in the group who used his rubric with success.  Me, not so much...We really didn't have a word for it back then other than hyperinsulinism, but I was chronically hungry and fatigued with the McDougall diet. I will "revisit" his site. I really love vegan cuisine: books and recipes from Dr. Fuhrman and Neil Barnard(sic)  rock! BTW, I am meeting plenty of nurse practitioners who are not only vegan, but gluten free as well-and not because of celiac either. It's just me, but I do want some firmer guidelines....but I agree with you: Diabetes is big business-and heart disease as well......and with all that being said, I am really looking forward to making Christina Pirello's vegan cheesecake topped with wonderful blueberries. One of the ingredients she uses is agar.....I know Amazon probably has it.....but what am I looking for?  

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Have you had your parathyroid checked?    (My cuz found out that was causing her osteo problem).

Have you had bloodwork recently?  High blood calcium could indicate a parathyroid problem.