Honored Contributor

Nothing by mouth or just clear liquids ....

and diabetes. My DH has to have a test yesterday and they had him on clear liquids for a day then kept him nothing by mouth most of yesterday. He ate a little at dinner but wasn't feeling well . This morning he has to have a CT scan and is again - clear liquid breakfast then nothing until after his test which isn't until 1:45. Just a bit ago I found him on the kitchen floor barely conscious. I gave him OJ and made him eat . He called the outpatient clinic and told them he had a hypoglycemic episode and had to eat something - they got really nasty with him , but are going to "try to do the CT anyway."I guess they think It would be preferable if I just let him expire on the kitchen floor! He hasn't taken his diabetes meds for 2 days - though they never told him not to - imagine if he had taken them.After I gave him the OJ I checked his sugar -- 34.

This is a problem with doing all this stuff as outpatients. If he was in the hospital being worked up - he could have an IV to keep his glucose up.When he collapsed in the kitchen he could have really been hurt.Luckily he wasn't. And what if I wasn't here? He could barely drink the OJ - let alone have gotten it for himself.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nothing by mouth or just clear liquids ....

As a nurse, you already probably know that the orange juice rise in his glucose will quickly go down again in 2 to 3 hours. He needs to eat something...preferably protein with some fat.

Next time he has a test mention he is diabetic. Most facilities understand that many diabetics cannot fast easily and they give their morning appointments to them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope his CT is successful but he does need to tell people he has diabetes when making an appointment like this.  

Honored Contributor

The thing is that the way it seems to be done down here is you go to the doctor and they say they want a test - then you go out to the desk to pay your co pay and the girl gives you your appt for whatever the doctor ordered. They don't give you an opportunity to chose where or when at all. Then they hand you a paper with the prep on it. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The thing is that the way it seems to be done down here is you go to the doctor and they say they want a test - then you go out to the desk to pay your co pay and the girl gives you your appt for whatever the doctor ordered. They don't give you an opportunity to chose where or when at all. Then they hand you a paper with the prep on it. 

Don't wait for them to give you an opportunity, talk to them. They hand you the paper, you look it over and say thank you, but this does not work because and explain why. 

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised they didn't tell him to take his meds. Diabetics need the med's to keep that count where it needs to be. They should have made a point of stressing that to him.  Glad you were there and he's ok.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

At that point, it is encumbent upon the patient to tell them about his condition.  If you think you cannot meet the conditions for having the test, they need to know.  There usually is some sort of alternative.  And sometimes you have to get really insistent.

Also, your husband should have been closely monitoring his blood sugar.  If you had to defy the instructions, at least you could have caught it before it became dangerous.  My husband would have had the opposite problem--he would have ended up with high sugar given those same instructions.

I know that was a frightening experience for you both and I hope his tests turn out okay and he gets back to normal ASAP.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@151949 wrote:

At that point, it is encumbent upon the patient to tell them about his condition.  If you think you cannot meet the conditions for having the test, they need to know.  There usually is some sort of alternative.  And sometimes you have to get really insistent.

Also, your husband should have been closely monitoring his blood sugar.  If you had to defy the instructions, at least you could have caught it before it became dangerous.  My husband would have had the opposite problem--he would have ended up with high sugar given those same instructions.

I know that was a frightening experience for you both and I hope his tests turn out okay and he gets back to normal ASAP.

If he had taken those meds he'd be dead now. 

Honored Contributor

Ask them if he can have a Glucerna. I know its not a clear liquid ,but it is a liquid ,and will provide him with some nutrients

I am sorry that has happened to you both

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@151949 wrote:

If he had taken those meds he'd be dead now. 

No, as a nurse, you should realize that the moment he experienced symptoms, you would be on the phone calling 911. Experienced EMT's are well versed how to bring up low blood sugars.