Respected Contributor

New health insurance hoop to jump through

[ Edited ]

I work for a large worldwide company and I was reading through our paperwork getting ready for open enrollment.

So in addition to $650 additional annual premium cost if you use tobacco products, there is now a annual wellness visit with your PCP that is required.

If you do not get an annual wellness physical by year end the employee is charged an additional $30 per pay on top of the insurance cost.

Not getting a physical and tobacco use is getting VERY expensive.

What next?

Honored Contributor

Re: New health insurance hoop to jump through

[ Edited ]

I work for a large worldwide company too.  We get a $300 credit on our premium for being a non smoker.  Nothing about physicals.  On one hand it feels a little like big brother.  On the other hand, they are paying a good portion of the bill.  You staying healthy lowers their cost.

Respected Contributor

@GCR18  Wow a credit! that's the first time I heard that.  I have only heard of the surcharge.  This is nice.

Frequent Contributor

I went for my yearly exam.  When my doctor was writing up the blood work I reminded him to add my ferritin numbers.  I have heredity hemochromatosis.  He told me that the insurance will no longer pay for that test..what?  Now, if I go back to the doctor, tell him I feel bad then he can run the test!  Ridiculous..so I paid for the test myself.  Our premiums rise, co pay rises, less service.  Doctor was sorry but they have to follow rules!

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl That's interesting.  My daughter lives in Denver.  They're getting ready (Colorado is)to vote whether or not to allow "smoking" you know what I mean to be allowed in restaurants and Yoga studies, etc.  Gee, I wonder how that will affect medical insurance.

Respected Contributor

My company has been doing it for years. We have United healthcare. Its not a new thing. If you do not get a wellness check every year they add an extra $30 or so to employee contribution.   Makes me mad for my employeer does not need to know my personal business( wellness check is at our HR building) I pay the extra money for  I do not like to have my privacy invaded

Honored Contributor

I worked for a large hospital system who were also a health ins co - so they self insured us ( it was a terrible policy). Anyway - we were required to go to one of their doctors for a yearly physical and we were surcharged for being overweight, smoking, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, alcohol use - basically anything they perceived was a possible cost  risk to them. That job was so horribly emotionally draining!No one has ever been happier to retire than I was. They offered psychological counseling so my friend went for that to lose weight so she would not have to pay the overweight surcharge - then they surcharged her for using the psycologist.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@GCR18  Wow a credit! that's the first time I heard that.  I have only heard of the surcharge.  This is nice.

My company also gives us a credit it we get a health screening each year. They have medical professionals come on campus to take blood pressure, blood samples, weight, and a survey. You can also have your own PCP do the tests and mail in the information.

We also get $250 a year we can use to join the gym at work, which makes it free, or use toward a piece of home gym equipment.

Honored Contributor

I know I've said this before and I apologize for repeating it, but because I was self-employed when I turned 65 (even though I was happily paying my own (expensive but I didn't mind it) health insurance, I was forced to get Medicare.  Ugh!  I don't have a problem with it (in fact they pay for a very, very expensive infusion I have to get that I'm told many/most insurances don't pay for) and I have additional insurance (United Health Care).

I feel so sorry for people who can't afford the additional insurance because many Drs won't take them with just Medicare.

This insurance stuff makes me sick (sorry, not meant to be a pun).  I think if you can afford your own insurance you should be able ..... no make that expected to pay for it.  But then the government would waste it on something else.

Honored Contributor

The corporation my husband worked for required physicals for the employee and spouse.

If your spouse had insurance benefits available through their job and wanted to be on this corporations insurance instead, they had to pay extra to do so. 

Employee and spouse also had to meet 3 additional requirements. Examples, twice yearly dental visits, specific classes, flu shots etc. 

My suggestion for insurance companies is to have a policy for adults without children. Instead of single or family policies. Just my 2 cents!