Frequent Contributor

Re: Need your ideas and support...feeling scared this morning...

Sometimes I forget how many good people God has put on this earth. Thanks for your comments so far. We got home yesterday so it is safe. Will probably make a dr appointment for this week. Thanks for all thoughts and prayers.

Super Contributor

I haven't read any of the other answers yet, but please take him to a neurologist. The driving and the communication issue make me think dementia (I hate to say it but you need to know now what to pursue instead of having some primary care doctor tell you it's depression like my mother's did for 3 years when she could have been getting treated).

It may be a few months before you can get him in, but start observing spatial/depth perception issues and memory issues, write them down with dates and times. The reason things may have escalated while you were on vacation is because he was in a different environment with different people for a sustained length of time. Harder to cover.

Super Contributor

On 5/11/2014 ilovedaisies said: his bad driving might be that he can't manuever the strange to him van, but he really must be seen by a doctor.

I agree. If he's not accustomed to a minivan, it could be that simple. As for communication issues, family vacations can be really stressful, and maybe he was just tired and cranky.

Get him in for a check up, and then you can worry about something else. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Am glad you are home safe and sound, and are going to make an appointment for your husband to see his doctor. I agree these are issues that need to be looked into. Remember that if your husband is noticing and realizing he is having some unexplainable problems, he will be more stubborn or challenging because of his fears. Best wishes to you both.

Respected Contributor

My advice would be to dial back your worrying. You have no.idea what this is. You are scared because you are imagining the worst, yet you have no idea what it is yet.

It could be something very simple, that with medication or other treatment will go away or be easily managed.

Instead of worrying right now, make an appointment with your doctor tomorrow...try to get in asap and go from there.

I have had times in my life where I've imagined the worst, and it's turned out to be not so bad.

Please don't make yourself distraught. Think positive thoughts and go to see your doctor so you can get solid information, instead of torturing yourself with your mind's speculation.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

There are dozens of possible reasons for what is happening with your husband, including the possibility that he was just plain tired. Also it's possible that if you're having some issues right now, he may simply be distracted. Are there job concerns or financial concerns you may not be aware of? There are so many things men worry about!! He may be feeling that something isn't right with his health, and that's upsetting him. The only way you are going to know for sure is to have him see a doctor as soon as it is practical, and that's going to be harder if you are having communication problems right now.

Don't push the panic button and say we've got to go this minute. You're home now, so try to relax, ease off the communication problems as much as you can, and then work on getting him to a physician. Just don't put yourself in the hospital by panicking over something that may not be a problem. Find a way to calmly and lovingly let him know about your concerns and see if you can visit someone together. Meanwhile, talk to his doctor (if he has one) about your concerns and ask his advice.

God bless you for caring.

Contributor

I'm sorry you have feeling so worried but I understand...I would feel the same. I seem to think the worst when something like that happens. Try to relax and remember that it may be something as trivial as some of the reasons stated above...him not being used to driving that van or being tired. I would definitely make an appt though for him to see his Dr. this week. I prayed for you this morning. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's day.

Super Contributor

While I can appreciate everyone saying don't "panic", the distress in the OP's post is palpable and I am thinking this is not the first time her husband has had issues, which is why she is asking here. Either that or he has some family history and that's why she is afraid.

OP, if you want to take him to a primary care, that's fine, but if they give you some answer like depression, let him be treated for 2-3 weeks and if there isn't a VAST improvement in his functioning, go to a neurologist.

Respected Contributor

The unknown is more worrisome than the known. First thing is to see a doctor for a diagnosis, if there is a problem, and then get a treatment plan. I think then you can have a sigh of relief.

It could be as simple as needing correct eyeglasses.

Honored Contributor

On 5/11/2014 Sweetea-pie said:

Sitting here this morning at 6:41 am feeling so scared. Just got back from a trip yesterday with my husband and daughters family. We rented a mini-van and my son-in-law sat up in front when my husband drove. He was mentioning that my husband was going outside of the lines while driving, but I didn't pay much attention. Then I drove with my husband and I saw the same thing. I have been driving with my husband for 42 years (he just turned 65 in January) and I have never seen him have depth perception problems or whatever this is. I am sitting here feeling so worried and sick to my stomach. My husband and I have been having some communication problems lately which seemed to escalate on vacation. He told us he was going to the bathroom and then he would meet us on the ride, but nobody heard him say it so we stood outside the bathroom waiting.

Please send me your thoughts and please send me some cyber prayers as I just feel petrified as I sit her.

I have reached out to folks on this board several times with health issues and always got love, support and ideas. There are some wonderful people who read these boards.

Karen

What exactly is it that you are afraid of? I could write some general comments but I don't see that it would do anything positive for you or your husband.

hckynut(john)