Respected Contributor

Re: My Husband is Having a Total Hip Replacement Next Monday

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox  I didn't have hip replacement, but I did have two total knee replacements at HSS.  Your husband, in my opinion, is in the very best place for his replacement.  Actually, HSS is rated #1  the top hospital for joint replacement in the entire USA!   

My surgeon was Dr. Steven Haas, who specializes in total knee and hip replacements.   From the pre-surgery, to the surgery, to the post surgery, everything was top-notch.  Your husband is in very good hands!   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I felt exactly that way from the second I called to make an appointment, we are lucky that his surgeon has office hours at Burke Rehab once a month so we were able to see him locally for the initial appointment, I was very impressed how pre op went and I expect Monday to be totally orchestrated.

==========

@ciao_bella wrote:

@I am still oxox  I didn't have hip replacement, but I did have two total knee replacements at HSS.  Your husband, in my opinion, is in the very best place for his replacement.  Actually, HSS is rated #1  the top hospital for joint replacement in the entire USA!   

My surgeon was Dr. Steven Haas, who specializes in total knee and hip replacements.   From the pre-surgery, to the surgery, to the post surgery, everything was top knotch.  Your husband is in very good hands!   

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox  I had both done in 2014 and 2015.  It is no big deal these days. I suggest he have the Anterior method done as the healing is much faster and only a 2 inch incision and you have  no  restriction on movement. I was released in less than 24 hours to go home.

Hopefully his surgeon uses the Anterior method rather than the old posterior method.  The posterior method is Much more painful, a 7 to 8 inch incision and you have to be so careful after surgery with his you bend over etc.    

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

My Brother In Law had it done last year and two days after the surgery he was walking all over the place on is own and said the minute he woke up from surgery he couldn't believe how the pain he had for two years was gone. It was amazing.

@Kitlynn   That was how good I felt.....I cam home the next day, and was vacuuming the house.....not too bright, but that was how great I felt!

Respected Contributor

His really good doctor is key. The therapy after is very important. It hurts but it makes all the difference. My friend didn't and is limited.

Trusted Contributor

I had THR of my right hip 9 days ago with the anterior method. I was up walking with the walker 3 hours after surgery. The brutal pain was gone and all I had to deal with was major stiffness. Home the next day, 23 hours after the surgery was finished. I am still on the walker because I did so much damage from postponing the surgery too long. With that said, I feel better than I have in 6 years!

Valued Contributor

A family member of mine had his hip replacement just 2 weeks ago. He is doing great and walking with just a cane, after the initial walker for the first couple weeks. He has no pain and is getting physical therapy twice a week. He was in so much pain, prior to having the surgery. All went well and he is relived.

Honored Contributor

This is all interesting to me.  I have been dealing with severe (now I can barely walk) knee pain (both knees and back).  I've reached the point where I have to get at least one done.  The said he'd do them both at the same time because they are so bad, but I'm going to go with one first.

I've lived with so much terrible pain with my back I know the pain will be worth it because I'll be working toward an end.  

My best friend's husband just had his second knee replaced this morning.  She just called to say he was out of surgery.  He's had so many other medical issues we were scared to death, but he's doing OK.  

The Dr is putting something in his major leg artery that will kill the pain for 3 days?  This is the first I've heard of this?  They did a spinal block on him too in addition to the leg thing.  I've had many spinal blocks over the years.

I go to the Dr for the final "talk" hopefully my daughter will go with me because she's driving me crazy, in about 2 weeks.  I know the prep before (seeing all different Drs to sign off is a pain) but worth it.  I'm in pretty good health.

Sorry, to go on about me, but I was so interested in reading everyone's post.  

I would just say that my motto is it's not about the quantity of one's life, it is about the QUALITY of one's life.  If the quality isn't good the quantity doesn't matter.  Getting necessary 'work' done is part of improving the quality of life.  Just remember that!

Honored Contributor

He is having his surgery at the premier hospital for Orthopedics i the county and he had very little choice in the position of the surgery.

=========

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@I am still oxox  I had both done in 2014 and 2015.  It is no big deal these days. I suggest he have the Anterior method done as the healing is much faster and only a 2 inch incision and you have  no  restriction on movement. I was released in less than 24 hours to go home.

Hopefully his surgeon uses the Anterior method rather than the old posterior method.  The posterior method is Much more painful, a 7 to 8 inch incision and you have to be so careful after surgery with his you bend over etc.    

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

His really good doctor is key. The therapy after is very important. It hurts but it makes all the difference. My friend didn't and is limited.

@Catiele  Therapy for hips is not that important.  After my double knee replacement yes,PT needed, but, hips do not require much more than time to  heal  and walking. I had no PT with either hip replacement and my hips healed beautifully.