Super Contributor

When reading your first sentence I automatically thought genetic mutation.  Sounds like she has methyltetrahydrofolate reductase, better known as MTHFR.  One thing to keep in mind that it is folate not folic acid that needs to be taken!  VERY important and never eat any fortified cereals, folic acid cannot be broken down into folate in a person with MTHFR and that's where the trouble begins.  Diet is very important as well.

If she starts getting anxious, jittery etc., she is overmethylating, a very common side effect if she also has CBS and/or COMT mutations.  Non-flush niacin can alliveate this side effect. 

(I have been taking PhD classes in epigenetics, four semesters now so I know what I am talking about.)

Respected Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

When reading your first sentence I automatically thought genetic mutation.  Sounds like she has methyltetrahydrofolate reductase, better known as MTHFR.  One thing to keep in mind that it is folate not folic acid that needs to be taken!  VERY important and never eat any fortified cereals, folic acid cannot be broken down into folate in a person with MTHFR and that's where the trouble begins.  Diet is very important as well.

If she starts getting anxious, jittery etc., she is overmethylating, a very common side effect if she also has CBS and/or COMT mutations.  Non-flush niacin can alliveate this side effect. 

(I have been taking PhD classes in epigenetics, four semesters now so I know what I am talking about.)

Thank you soooooo much for the valuable information. She does take the folate but I had no idea regarding diet --- Dr. never told us. Thanks again.

Super Contributor

Panda, a clean diet is very important.  No processed foods!  Even deep green veggies are high in folic acid (think Kale, broccoli, asparagus).  Eating foods like this thinking you're getting good folate can backfire and cause the CBS gene to express.  This gene is responsible for the sulfur pathway and if blocked, eating foods such as this, as well as onions, peppers and garlic (the most popular foods) will cause high ammonia in the body which has its own set of symptoms.  For me personally, my urine burns so bad after I eat these foods it's just totally not worth it.  Some people will smell like ammonia when they sweat which is also a clue the pathway is blocked.

I too have suffered with mental illness for YEARS!  It was not until I was diagnosed two years ago and put on supplements that my depression all but disappeared.  It was hit or miss, found I can't tolerate methyl donors, and still plugging along.  I still have moments now and again being down in the dumps but I know what triggered it (usually eating c rap foods) and by the end of the next day after eating well I am fine.

It's a long journey, I wish you and your daughter well.

A side note:  It may be worthwhile for an Organic Acids Test aka OAT be done.  Below is a cut and paste of what it will test for.

Metabolic Analysis Profile (Organic Acids)

The Metabolic Analysis Profile is a nutritional test that assesses urine metabolites in order to evaluate four critical areas of metabolism: gastrointestinal function, cellular and mitochondrial energy production, neurotransmitter processing, and amino acid/organic acid balance as influenced by vitamin/mineral cofactors. Results can be used to address chronic systemic complaints ranging from chronic fatigue and mood disorders to headache, muscular/joint pain, and digestive problems.

The Metabolic Analysis Profile is a nutritional test using an urinary assessment of 46 key organic acids grouped according to their primary roles in the following four central areas of metabolism.
Gastrointestinal Function — This profile measures eight markers that can reveal malabsorption and dysbiosis. These imbalances can be addressed to improve gut health and to help prevent or alleviate: chronic digestive problems, common causes of nutritional deficiency, yeast overgrowth, cognitive impairment, gastrointestinal distress, and degenerative conditions.

Energy Production —This profile assesses metabolites that serve as important intermediates in the citric acid (Krebs) cycle. This cycle supplies the body with its primary energy needs, converting 90% of food energy into cellular energy. This subpanel also includes:

• Carbohydrate metabolites that can signal impaired glucose metabolism
  • Markers that help evaluate the breakdown of fats and production of cholesterol
  • A marker measuring the production of coenzyme Q10

Imbalances of cellular energy metabolites are linked with chronic fatigue, accelerated cell breakdown, and unhealthy aging.

Neurotransmitter Metabolites - A special grouping of neurotransmitter metabolites serve as important diagnostic indicators of abnormal metabolism that can underline many key aspects of neuropsychiatric function. These markers are urinary metabolites of powerful neurotranmitters that act on the central nervous system, including: Epinephrine, Dopamine, and Serotonin. These substances can profoundly influence patterns of stress response, emotional well-being, cognition, and sleep.

Assessment of Nutrient Sufficiency — This nutritional test provides a functional assessment of nutrient sufficiency and usage that covers a broad range of vitamins, coenzymes, elements, enzyme activators, and other nutrients.  An analysis of amino acid metabolites which require vitamin and mineral cofactors for their metabolism can hint at deficiencies of: vitamins B6, B12 and C, magnesium, copper, iron, and various amino acids.

Honored Contributor

PhatCat, while I don't suffer from the issue you were describing, I was really interested to read your information. Thank you for taking the time to share it with everyone. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

PCat It is just GREAT to read about how far you've come!

I feel like the poster child for researching an eating plan that works.

My life has turned totally around since I've stopped eating grain, dairy, salt and refined/high carb foods.

It literally feels so great living this way I'd NEVER stop.

PLEASE keep up the good work, and keep posting!

Respected Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

Panda, a clean diet is very important.  No processed foods!  Even deep green veggies are high in folic acid (think Kale, broccoli, asparagus).  Eating foods like this thinking you're getting good folate can backfire and cause the CBS gene to express.  This gene is responsible for the sulfur pathway and if blocked, eating foods such as this, as well as onions, peppers and garlic (the most popular foods) will cause high ammonia in the body which has its own set of symptoms.  For me personally, my urine burns so bad after I eat these foods it's just totally not worth it.  Some people will smell like ammonia when they sweat which is also a clue the pathway is blocked.

I too have suffered with mental illness for YEARS!  It was not until I was diagnosed two years ago and put on supplements that my depression all but disappeared.  It was hit or miss, found I can't tolerate methyl donors, and still plugging along.  I still have moments now and again being down in the dumps but I know what triggered it (usually eating c rap foods) and by the end of the next day after eating well I am fine.

It's a long journey, I wish you and your daughter well.

A side note:  It may be worthwhile for an Organic Acids Test aka OAT be done.  Below is a cut and paste of what it will test for.

Metabolic Analysis Profile (Organic Acids)

The Metabolic Analysis Profile is a nutritional test that assesses urine metabolites in order to evaluate four critical areas of metabolism: gastrointestinal function, cellular and mitochondrial energy production, neurotransmitter processing, and amino acid/organic acid balance as influenced by vitamin/mineral cofactors. Results can be used to address chronic systemic complaints ranging from chronic fatigue and mood disorders to headache, muscular/joint pain, and digestive problems.

The Metabolic Analysis Profile is a nutritional test using an urinary assessment of 46 key organic acids grouped according to their primary roles in the following four central areas of metabolism.
Gastrointestinal Function — This profile measures eight markers that can reveal malabsorption and dysbiosis. These imbalances can be addressed to improve gut health and to help prevent or alleviate: chronic digestive problems, common causes of nutritional deficiency, yeast overgrowth, cognitive impairment, gastrointestinal distress, and degenerative conditions.

Energy Production —This profile assesses metabolites that serve as important intermediates in the citric acid (Krebs) cycle. This cycle supplies the body with its primary energy needs, converting 90% of food energy into cellular energy. This subpanel also includes:

• Carbohydrate metabolites that can signal impaired glucose metabolism
  • Markers that help evaluate the breakdown of fats and production of cholesterol
  • A marker measuring the production of coenzyme Q10

Imbalances of cellular energy metabolites are linked with chronic fatigue, accelerated cell breakdown, and unhealthy aging.

Neurotransmitter Metabolites - A special grouping of neurotransmitter metabolites serve as important diagnostic indicators of abnormal metabolism that can underline many key aspects of neuropsychiatric function. These markers are urinary metabolites of powerful neurotranmitters that act on the central nervous system, including: Epinephrine, Dopamine, and Serotonin. These substances can profoundly influence patterns of stress response, emotional well-being, cognition, and sleep.

Assessment of Nutrient Sufficiency — This nutritional test provides a functional assessment of nutrient sufficiency and usage that covers a broad range of vitamins, coenzymes, elements, enzyme activators, and other nutrients.  An analysis of amino acid metabolites which require vitamin and mineral cofactors for their metabolism can hint at deficiencies of: vitamins B6, B12 and C, magnesium, copper, iron, and various amino acids.

Wow it is amazing how our bodies can react to food, even food that is good for us. Glad you got to the root of your depression and doing better. I feel depression is a cancer of the soul or an invisible disability -- so sad. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor

Violann, isn't it amazing what the right foods can do for you!??!! 

I remember seeing a newscast about a young girl, idk around 6 or so if not younger, who just could not function anymore.  At one point, the poor child was totally lethargic and the parents brought her to many doctors who were at a total loss on what was wrong.  Finally, they took her to a functional med doc and was diagnosed as having vitamin deficiencies!  Once she was put on supplements and the right foods, she has recovered significantly.  As of that newscast, she wasn't 100% but well on her way.

Panda, I wish you and your daughter well. Don't let her give up!  Lilac Bush (?) aka Ford1224 can help with this as well, she has a family member struggling with the same issues.

(( )), Kath

Respected Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

Violann, isn't it amazing what the right foods can do for you!??!! 

I remember seeing a newscast about a young girl, idk around 6 or so if not younger, who just could not function anymore.  At one point, the poor child was totally lethargic and the parents brought her to many doctors who were at a total loss on what was wrong.  Finally, they took her to a functional med doc and was diagnosed as having vitamin deficiencies!  Once she was put on supplements and the right foods, she has recovered significantly.  As of that newscast, she wasn't 100% but well on her way.

Panda, I wish you and your daughter well. Don't let her give up!  Lilac Bush (?) aka Ford1224 can help with this as well, she has a family member struggling with the same issues.

(( )), Kath

PhatCat, you are a wealth of information as well as being encouraging --- thank you. Would love to talk to Lilac Bush, is she also Lilac Tree? 

Super Contributor

my bad, yes...Lilac Tree.  aka Ford1224

Her daughter has/is going through some of the same things that I have.  Although her's is mostly lyme related, it all intertwines.

Respected Contributor

Genetic testing is indeed an amazing tool for diagnosing and treating illnesses.  Most insurers are now paying for genetic testing if it's being done for treatment reasons.  It's like we've entered a whole new world when it comes to medicine.  I hope this works out well for your daughter.