Respected Contributor

Just wanted to pass some information on regarding mental health. My 19 year old daughter has suffered over the past 14 years with mental illness. Has been on different meds to the point we were told she has exhausted everything. New doctor asked if she ever had genetic testing done.....no. He did it and the results showed she was missing a gene that produces cerebral folic acid. This gene is what makes the meds do their job. This folic acid is different than the one found in your body, this is in your brain. To obtain this supplement you need a script from your doctor. She just start taking it and should have results in a few weeks. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to pass the info on. 

Respected Contributor

Glad you found a doctor who seems to have gotten to the bottom of things.  I hope things will improve quickly.  It's a lesson to all of us to keep looking for answers on medical issues when things just aren't right. Best of luck. 

Contributor

Hypo and hyperthyroidism are also often misdiagnosed as various "mental illnesses"; it's appalling to think how many people suffer on the merry go round of psychiatric drugs when what they really need is something completely different.  Good luck to your daughter and I hope she gets off the psych meds.

Honored Contributor

Panda, I take the special folic acid treatment almost every winter for SAD, and it works REALLY well for me.

I SO hope it is successful for your granddaughter. Please let us know how it's working out.

By the way, the "name" brand she is taking may be Deplin, and VERY expensive. Some pharmacists WILL find a true generic for it if you are very persistent. Perhpas her precribing MD can help with that too. Mine was very helpful.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Panda, I take the special folic acid treatment almost every winter for SAD, and it works REALLY well for me.

I SO hope it is successful for your granddaughter. Please let us know how it's working out.

By the way, the "name" brand she is taking may be Deplin, and VERY expensive. Some pharmacists WILL find a true generic for it if you are very persistent. Perhpas her precribing MD can help with that too. Mine was very helpful.

Thank you for the feedback. She does take the Deplin and it was $126 for 30 day supply but it went thru insurance and was only $15. Just wondering, how long did it take to work for you and do you take meds with it? We are at the point where the meds are not working and this sounds like it is the answer.

Contributor

OP, I really feel for you because I have seen scenarios like this play out multiple times.  If and when your daughter comes off the various psych meds be prepared for the situation to become worse before it becomes better.  Her developing brain has now become chemically dependent and titrating down could potentially unleash a whole host of withdrawal symptoms (and they are withdrawals and not the return of underlying mental illness).  Find a good doctor to help he come off slowly and definitely investigate the psychiatric survivor community for more resources.  It's a difficult process, but so is the prospect of taking an unending parade of psychotropic drugs for the rest of your life.  Again, good luck.

Valued Contributor

Panda-

This is really very interesting. I hope the added script of the special folic acid helps her body do better with the meds. My best to you and your daughter. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Sorry for reaponding so late-

I take Deplin OR the generic (when I can get that) in courses of weeks/months, without other meds, and the effects are relatively rapid for me, usually no more than a week.

I take it for SAD and dysthimia.

It has none of the problems (for me) of other meds that work for depression/anxiety.

I truly hope that this young lady benefits, as her diagnostic assessments seem to indicate she might.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Sorry for reaponding so late-

I take Deplin OR the generic (when I can get that) in courses of weeks/months, without other meds, and the effects are relatively rapid for me, usually no more than a week.

I take it for SAD and dysthimia.

It has none of the problems (for me) of other meds that work for depression/anxiety.

I truly hope that this young lady benefits, as her diagnostic assessments seem to indicate she might.

Thank you for your reply. It has just been one week and we are keeping our fingers crossed. I will keep you posted.

Trusted Contributor

Anita thank you for your wise, compassionate response to OP.