Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@nomless wrote:

Usually,  the cost goes up each year, but occasionally it doesn't.  I have not heard what the premium will be for 2017. Please talk with a certified Medicare advisor in your area prior to siging up next year so that you understand the options available to you.

What the heck is a Certifid Medicare Advisor?  I have never heard of one.., where are they and who certifies them?  There are Certified Senior Advisors though

Your Medicare Part B premium for 2016 is based on your adjustable tax earnings for 2014 for new enrollees. This amount is  now $104.80 for a single tax payer making $85k or less and a joint tax payer making $170K or less.

The rate is adjusted up depending on your reported adjusted gross income.

Medicare Part B premiums have gone up over the years, but not by much IMO  compared to other insurance premiums in the last 25 years or so.  In 2012 the premium was $99.90.

Here is one way:

https://www.nahu.org/education/certifications/medicare.cfm

It's certification and education for (primarily health) insurance agents, not the man on the street. In addition, some insurance agencies specialize in *nothing but* Medicare supplements and MA, and have multiple employees trained to be aware of all relevant laws in each state, since this can vary fairly widely from state to state, which people on these forums often fail to realize.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I wonder if the original poster is talking about the annual medicare deductible.  Yes, it goes up almost every year.  i remember when it was $100.00

Honored Contributor

BY LAW - they can't raise the monthly cost of medicare unless they also give a COLA raise. Thus far I have not been notified by SS that they are going to give a COLA raise this year. So - without that notification the entire discussion is a moot point. COLA raises are not given by congress or the president - they are from a formula that was a law passed about 30 years ago. In the 6 years I have not , as yet, had a raise in my medicare that I felt was unreasonable, nor a COLA raise that was a windfall. 

Respected Contributor

The cost of Medicare currently is different for people who do not receive Social Security.  As some have noted the current cost for SS recipients is $104.  That is what my DH pays.  I, however as a CSRS Fed retiree pay $121 - and it is projected to go to at least $149 next year.

The law says if SS recipients do not receive a COLA, their Medicare will not go up.  Thus, to try to make up for the shortfall, those of us who do not receive SS (even tho CSRS folks did not get a COLA either - and the many SS recipients who also receive pensions are not penalized as we are) have to pay more.