Contributor

Re: Magnesium for insomnia - what type? Any other suggestions for insomnia?

Thank you for all the replies.  I have tried a lot of these things and also recently essential oils which seem to help a bit.

I will try the magnesium and also the blu blockers mentioned above as that is something I had not thought of.

I do need to see the Dr. again as she will not prescribe any more pills (14 at a time) until I do and will see what she can suggest.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Trusted Contributor

Walmart has a dupe for this by Spring valley.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Citrate; it's the most easily-absorbed form of any mineral.

This is what I've heard, as well.   I get Mag Citrate caps, 500mg, from Amazon and take two of them a night.  I'm not sure how much it helps ME, but I do have extreme sleeping problems.  I think it must help some because I have less nights where I'm up most of the night.

I've also read Folic Acid - to do both of those things, the Magnesium AND the Folic Acid.

It does, because it helps your muscles to relax.

It's also great for your heart, and the #1 supplement for fibromyalgia.

Esteemed Contributor

@Barbiedr wrote:

There is a magnesium drink called CALM. I get the raspberry-lemon one. It's not very tasty. I put a small amt of warm water in a mug and add 1/2 Tablespoon of the powder. It fizzes up. I drink it quickly. I find it helps me fall asleep quickly. I still get up to go to the bathroom.

Yes, I swear by this..also love the raspberry-lemon! I add it to my iced tea at night! You can add a little stevia! I also fall asleep quickly..sometimes I also take valerian. Magnesium is one of the most important minerals for our body! It also balances calcium, I eat alot of yogurt and cheese so I need the balance!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Contributor

Hi,

I did buy the Spring Valley Magnesium Citrate at Walmart but they only had 100mg and it says one a day but have been taking one in the morning and one at night with no results yet.  I think I need to increase the dose as some of you are taking 400 - 500 at night.

I also found a big thread about ionic liquid magnesium and have got some of that on order but wanted to take the capsules until that arrives and will update.

Thanks for all the help.

Honored Contributor

i was at Walmart today after reading here recently...

I bought Spring Valley rapid release Magnesium Citrate 100 mg Bone health.I t has 100 capsules and instructions of onecapsual 3times daily preferably with meals.

I took one tonight with evening meal and easy to swallow not like the huge big ones!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

I have found Mid Nite (melatonin) works for me.  I take about one hour before going to bed and sleep like a baby all night.

We're all different though and you just have to find what works for you.  I've tried magnesium citrate, but it doesn't work as well for me.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I have awful Insomnia and take the MID-NIGHT just before bed, I let it disolve in my mouth completly, this almost always helps me fall asleep, not always stay asleep but it does help me drift off.

Honored Contributor

feline groovy wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

feline groovy wrote:

Citrate; it's the most easily-absorbed form of any mineral.

This is what I've heard, as well.   I get Mag Citrate caps, 500mg, from Amazon and take two of them a night.  I'm not sure how much it helps ME, but I do have extreme sleeping problems.  I think it must help some because I have less nights where I'm up most of the night.

I've also read Folic Acid - to do both of those things, the Magnesium AND the Folic Acid.

It does, because it helps your muscles to relax.

It's also great for your heart, and the #1 supplement for fibromyalgia.

I'm sorry that I just saw this.  I need to get some Folic Acid and take it in the evening w/my Mag Citrate.

Is there any one that is better than another?  TIA  Smiley Happy