Honored Contributor

I am considering getting myself a mobility scooter. I'm like many who can walk, but only for certain distance and amount of time. It really cramped my style this summer. I don't qualify to have it paid for by Medicare - again, like many.

I need one that comes apart to go in the trunk, and the heaviest piece isn't more than 30 lbs give or take a couple of pounds, otherwise I couldn't/shouldn't be lifting it.

I know that 3-wheel are lighter and often cheaper than 4-wheel. I don't plan to do a lot on off-road, uneven surface so have thought I could get by with a 3-wheel. 

Would love to hear user experiences. I have been looking at middle-of-the-road scooters in the $1000-$1600 range because the seats are more comfortable, they hold more weight, and they go longer on a charge than the cheapest ones. But I honestly don't know if it matters terribly between 7 mi max vs. 12 mi max. I'd prefer to keep it about $1200-$1300.

I have investigated lifts, but they are way more expensive than the chairs(!) so I think that's out.

Any recommendations of specific chairs/models? Good CS vs bad CS? Important stuff I haven't thought of?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I can't answer your question, @Moonchilde, but given that you are one of the brainiacs of the board I'm sure you've considered the effect of a scooter on your need for exercise.  Would you still adhere to the best exercise program you could?  It's my understanding that one should be as active as one can within physical limitations in order to avoid further loss of physical function. 

Honored Contributor

Re: MOBILITY SCOOTERS

[ Edited ]

Is there a reason you can't use a regular wheelchair? Much less expensive and much easier to transport.I spent 4 months in a w/c when I had ankle surgery and found there was no where I could not go, easily pushed it all by myself, grocery shopped with a basket on my lap.went to church, cooked for myself when DH was away working. And I was totally unable to put any weight on one ankle so I could go in the w/c or stand on the other leg and pivot only.

Trusted Contributor

I broke the top of my foot in 5 places this spring so spent part of my summer on a scooter until I got the go-ahead to walk on my boot.  I rented it from a medical supply place. The type of scooter I used was one where you put your knee on it and use the other foot to scoot you along.  Soooo much better than crutches!

I don't know your restrictions so this may not be what you're looking for. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms X, I cannot exercise now - certainly would not do "more" without a scooter. See below :-(

@151949

I have ankle, foot, knee and back issues that will not improve.  I can do ADL just fine in the house. I can drive, and I can shop, walk, stand and push a cart for about 30 min. max before a pinched lumbar nerve starts to create a variety of different types of pain. This might improve with an injection (which I will probably ask for at some point out   of desperation) but those don't last long and the pain will return. Not bad enough to consider surgery but socially crippling nonetheless.

What I want the scooter for could not be accomplished in a wheelchair - swap meet/flea market, county fair, antiques fair 1-1/2 mi long, Ren Faires and that type of thing. There is no one to push me, and that is way more than just tooling down a few store aisles :-( (Not meaning to be snarky at all.)

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Teddie! Not what I'm looking for but I've seen them and I think they're cool :-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde, do you have knees or hips that are bone on bone?

Respected Contributor

Please forgive me then, @Moonchilde.  My mother is in her early 80s and recently had a knee injection, which gave her great relief.  She finally got it at my urging.  I'm trying to get her to get the other knee injected again, though I guess she has side effects.  She needs to discuss how to manage those side effects with her doctor, as they last weeks while the pain relief lasts months.

There's a show running on my local PBS in which an "expert" discusses exercising as one ages.  It seems to me that one can exercise even from a sitting position.  I'm not trying to harangue you.  I just am going by what I've seen others say in terms of exercise improving and preserving function.  I'm sure you know to what extent this applies to you.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Moonchilde, do you have knees or hips that are bone on bone?

@tansy my hips are fine (as far as I can tell, lol). My right knee is chronically painful due to several falls on it over the years as well as arthritis deciding to become increasingly painful over the last 6 months. The last time I had an x-ray (after a fall a few years ago) the orthopod said I did not have degenerative disease of the needing knee replacement type.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X, it's definitely true that one can do seated exercise including cardio, but your original post wondered if I would exercise less if I got a scooter. Since I can't do weight-bearing exercise either with a scooter or without one, the scooter makes no difference in the equation. I would not be exercising less than I am now if I had a scooter. I would be in less pain, however.