Honored Contributor

Re: MEDICATION BEFORE DENTAL PROCEDURES

[ Edited ]

my 75 year old mother has to take amoxicillin prior to any type of dental procedures, even teeth cleaning. she has never had any knee surgeries.  if you trust your dentist i would follow his advice.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I saw the dentist today, and took my 2000 mg dose of Amoxicillan 2 hrs before my appointment, just as I've done for every dental appointment for the last 3 1/2 years.   When I saw my ortho physician in April for the yearly X-ray of my replaced knee, he is still in full support of this preventive measure for invasive procedures.  

My dermatologist gives me 7 days of antibiotic treatment with all invasive procedures as a precaution.    I receive IV antibiotics when I have my colonoscopies.   I'm not putting myself at risk after my $35,000 knee replacement, and have no problem getting the antibiotic prescription.   

I have two knees and two hip joints replaced. I have had dental procedures, cleanings, root canal. Crowns, and colonoscopy.  No antibiotics.  Have you done any research on your own on the new information that it is not nececessay?

It is also not good to be taking antibiotics over and over again in high potency.  It is not about it "being NO PROBLEM"... It is about being an informed consumer and not subjecting yourself to unnecessary  medications. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes it IS appropriate.  Every person and every scenario is not the same.   This doesn't mean that anybody would recommend taking antibiotics all the time.  But sometimes it makes sense.   There is a giant difference between taking antibiotics all the time and taking them before or after a surgical procedure, when it is appropriate.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tissyanne,  Clindamycin can cause C-Diff.  I had it twice since my surgery and the last time it was for 4 months and the doctor was setting me up for a fecal transplant.  Sorry but there is no other way to say it.  Luckily the last time I took Vancomycin it cleared it up.  I don't want to go through that again.  Each time I take any antibioitic I have to take the Vancomycin but when I took Z-Pak two weeks ago I didn't take it.  I took 3 Florastor a day to help prevent the C-Diff.  Any antibioitic is a nightmare for me.  Colon surgery years ago doesn't help.

I wanted to get an idea of what doctors in other parts of the country say about it.  I did read up on it and after 2 years I can stop according to the ADA.  Like I said  I didn't get a call back from the ortho doctor's office.  I talked to my dentist and she offered to call and sure enough she got through and called in a Z-Pak for me.  Clindamycin, from what I read, is the antibioitic of choice after implants but I just can't go through that again if I have a choice to take something else.  I can't take any pencillins.

I need an Apicoectomy on a tooth because I have an infection in it and it's crowned with a post in it.  This give me a better chance of saving the crown.  If she goes into the tooth through the crown she says I will lose the crown.  Have to go for a 3D scan of the mouth next week and then will schedule the surgery.  I'm a better to be safe than sorry type of person and will take the antibiotic.  While I am so glad I had the knee implants I didn't think about the side effects of antibiotics.  Never really took them.

Honored Contributor

I have three joint replacements and still take clindamycin before dental work of any kind.  My surgeon, fairly young, insists I do that rather than risk the complications of an infected joint.  

Honored Contributor

DH was the city's first angioplasty at thirty-four and he always has to have an antiobiotic before dental procedures.

Esteemed Contributor

I think dental implants are made of titanium (inert) just like the screws that were implanted in my hip 2  years ago.  There should be no adverse reaction at all to titanium...

Respected Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@kismet wrote:

I recently posted that I needed a root canal on a tooth.  After seeing the dentist I had two teeth that needed root canals due to an infection.  I had one root canal done through the tooth but the other one has to be done as a surgical procedure.

Has anyone that had knee replacement been told they have to have medication before any dental procedure.  My dentist said the rules have changed and it's 2 years.  I called my ortho doctor and they couldn't tell me.  Never called me back.  My dentist said she can prescribe one but wonders if I really need it.  I'm 5 years out on surgery.

I do have an allergy to penicillin and was given clindamycin which I won't take because of the side effects.  Anyone have any information that may be more up to date.

@kismet, What are Clindamycin side effects? I ask because my son is taking it?

I worked for an orthopedic surgeon up until I retired 10 years ago.  The general rule of thumb for those who had total joint replacements was to take a one time dose of whatever antibiotic 4 hours prior to dental cleaning or any invasive procedure.  Our antibiotic of choice was Amoxicillin. 

Over the past few years however, we left it up to the discretion of the dentist/oral surgeon.

DH is a kidney recipient and he takes it even for teeth cleaning.

People that have had cardiac surgeries should most definitely take the antibiotic.

Valued Contributor

The side effect of clindamycin for me was C-Diff.  If you google C-Diff you will see what the symptoms are.  The antibioitic I had to take for it was very expensive but luckily my insurance paid for it.  Right now I keep a supply of it just in case because I can tell when I have it.  One day I was fine and the next I was in the walk in clinic.  It came on fast for me both times.  I use to take Florastor because of two knee replacements and stopped taking it.  I feel this is why I got it.  Now I take florastor every day and when on an antibiotic for anything else I take 3 a day.  This is suppose to stop the C-Diff from forming from what the pharmacist said.  Thing about getting C-Diff it can cause colitis after getting it.  My GI doctor said once you have C-Diff that colitis is common.  Never had that before.  C-Diff can spread to someone else too.