Honored Contributor

Re: Just a Reminder That Mammograms Can Cause Cancer

A very close friend of mine who had breast implants (because of multiple benign cysts removed by an overzealous surgeon) had one of her implants crushed by a mammogram to the point that it broke.  Of course, they never admitted that the break was due to the mammogram, but it was obvious.  She has been through hell and back because of this.

Here was a young woman who had nothing wrong with her in the first place, who was disfigured by medical procedures by a surgeon and a mammogram and has lived most of her life suffering the consequences. 

Very often a simple ultrasound can detect the same idiosyncracies in the breast that a mammogram can.  And there is little risk.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

It is this kind of ignorence that causes more women to die from breast cancer. Self examination will not find most kinds of breast cancer for any number of reasons, starting with the fact that most women do not do it correctly! Even if you do, dense breast tissue mimics lumps which can only be found through testing. Hormonal changes can cause lumps as well. 

The amounts of radiation we receive from this procedure is minimal, a lot less than you will have to receive if you get the diagnosis of Stage 3 breast cancer. This discussion is plain scary!

Respected Contributor

Ultrasound didnt pick up the breast cancer I presently have; 2 diagnostic mammos did.

Honored Contributor

If you are afraid of the mammogram, then ask for an ultrasound, you may have to pay for it, but it would be so worthwhile to have a proper screening of some kind done.

Honored Contributor

OP - you should be ashamed of yourself. mammograms save thousands of lives every year.

Esteemed Contributor

Whenever I read some of these irresponsible posts that essentially tell people to avoid modern medical practices I have one thought. What was the average life span in 1900, 1800, 1700, etc.? What were the major causes of death and why are they no longer a problem in the U.S. anymore?

Honored Contributor

I think this is just a classic example of the benefits here will outweigh the risks!!!

Honored Contributor

I just read on another thread someone gets a regular mammo, digital mammo, and 3-D mammo. That's way too much radiation. Totally unecessary. For all those wishing for a cure for cancer I believe they already have a cure for a lot of cancers. Big Pharma will never release that info. They are in the business to make money. They cannot do that if there are not sick people.

Super Contributor

@Lovethesea wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

You will have many who dispute the finding.  One of my bff's feels the same way.

IMO, we all have dormant cancer cells in us.  Let's hope they stay dormant. 

Yes, I expect that there will be many who dispute the finding, but it is in every woman's best interest to investigate this subject.  Being informed is so crucial!

Well, you are betting on this with your life.................... good luck. My neice got breast cancer at 24, no family history.

Honored Contributor

Ya know----I really am insulted at this post---I went thru ALL  the above to figure out what kind of breast cancer I had. That was 3 years ago. Maybe you thought you were doing us a favor with this info but lady, you need to watch how you word things like this!!!!!!! I HOPE to the Almighty, that you NEVER have to depend on these incredible advances to save your life but I thank God every day that I am alive and kicking due partly to these types of scans. Its easy to judge and offer advice but you'll NEVER know until it happens to you.