Frequent Contributor

Re: Itchy Body Rash

[ Edited ]

@bosmamaa , first, I'm very sorry for your loss. From experience, I believe that kind of stress can set you up for a lot of physical reactions.

Please do a search for methylisothiazolinone allergy.  Also, click on "images" and compare those rash photos to what you have.

I began a thread in August on Community Chat, "If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash," with more information, which I won't repeat here.

Best of health and luck, and I hope you heal very soon.

Respected Contributor

Sorry you are going through this. Must be terrible as I can relate. I have to take an allergy pill (Zyrtec) every night as if I don't I will get huge welts on my body. I am highly allergic to dust mites, pollen, etc.

Why not take an allergy pill and see if it goes away and then you know it's allergy related. Good luck. 

Valued Contributor

Amarica, my husband started to use Wen cleanser.  Three weeks later, he was complaining that his scalp was so itchy.  He stopped using Wen and the itching went away.  The same thing happened to my Mom when she tried Wen.

Methylisothiazolinone was the culprit!!  Surprisingly, Methylisothiazolinone is a preservative used in body washes, soaps, lotions and creams, cosmetics, etc. but there are many people who are allergic.  I have to look closely at labels and can't buy any product containing Methylisothiazolinone.

Regular Contributor

After numerous visits to Doctors.my Hubby just learned that an intense itch and rash he has been struggling with is Grovers Disease..never heard of it  before...trying a compound medication but not have much success,hopefully.it will eventually pass..

Valued Contributor

there is a condition called Morgellons, Joni Mitchell has it and it causes biting and itchiness and Drs do not know what it is either. Many people are getting it and some feel it is from maybe Gmo's.... you can draw your own conclusions because it is a controversial at best condition.

Trusted Contributor

I'm going to take this in a different direction.  Have you been tested for autoimmune diseases.  Sometimes they can present with hives and rashes.

Before my Hashimoto's disease was diagnosed, I broke out for years with tiny little "hives" all over my hands.  One hand would get so bad that the skin would crack and bleed.  Turned out it was due to the Hashimoto's.

Other autoimmune diseases can cause the same sort of thing.  Also, have you been checked for diabetes?

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your responses, you ladies are great!!

Valued Contributor

@bosmamaa has anyone considered psoriasis? I get a sore patch on my stomach whenever I'm getting ready to have an ulcerative colitis flare. That was the first sign that I had UC. I had an itchy, kind of blistery looking rash for about 8 months before I actually was diagnosed. Just something you might want to consider. Psoriasis can associate with a lot of other diseases or just be there on it's own.

Honored Contributor

Although I think Shingles is painful too, are there different strains of that? Hope it's getting better for you.

Honored Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

@bosmamaa has anyone considered psoriasis? I get a sore patch on my stomach whenever I'm getting ready to have an ulcerative colitis flare. That was the first sign that I had UC. I had an itchy, kind of blistery looking rash for about 8 months before I actually was diagnosed. Just something you might want to consider. Psoriasis can associate with a lot of other diseases or just be there on it's own.

Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease (as is Sarcoidosis, which is what I have)... as is Hashimoto's....  so I agree with getting the rash totally checked out.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*