Esteemed Contributor

Went in for my yearly eye exam today. Dr. told me I need cataract surgery on my right eye. I knew that there was one starting as of last year, but it has grown a lot over the past year. I was surprised, but it explains a lot of vision problems that I have been having. I told my dh that I may just pay to have the lens replaced in my left eye after this is over with, instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop, since there is already a small cataract in the left. I took my brother (God rest his soul) to have his eyes done at the same clinic, so I'm very comfortable with the whole procedure.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Re: It's Official ~~ I'm Old

I try to be good about wearing sunglasses - I didn't the first 40 years of my life, but I do now. 

Trusted Contributor

I have the beginnings of them, due to steroid drops use. Cataracts aren't just age-related, I learned that Lasik patients can get them 10-15 years earlier than the general population.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep, my opthamalogist told me in my 40's that I would have to have cataracts removed some day.  I'm good so far but it will be on the list!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

My Ophthalmologist, @pattypeep, told me to not remove it until it was "ripe." He said to wait until it gave me a problem with driving, reading or something. I did and had a wonderful result. I had him put in a multi-focal implant. Love it. No glasses, no readers. He corrected astigmatism. No glasses on my driver's license. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have the beginnings of cataracts too.  Frankly, I can't wait to get them done.  I have worn glasses or contacts since the 2nd grade.  What a joy it would be to not have to put contacts in every day. ~ to see when I first wake up ~ to go swimming with no worries ~ to not worry about losing them when I am out of town ~ etc.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

My DH was also told that he would know when his cataracts neede4d removed and would tell the doctor , not the other way around.The doctor told him the longer you can wait the better. He had them done last winter and is thrilled with the result.

Honored Contributor

I had that warning years ago too @Lilysmom.  Some 30 years later it indeed came to pass and now I've had cataract surgery on both eyes.  It's not anything to dread with great fear.  It's about as significant medically as a trip to the dentist and just as routine.   They do them like on an assembly line at surgery centers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

My Ophthalmologist, @pattypeep, told me to not remove it until it was "ripe." He said to wait until it gave me a problem with driving, reading or something. I did and had a wonderful result. I had him put in a multi-focal implant. Love it. No glasses, no readers. He corrected astigmatism. No glasses on my driver's license. Smiley Happy

@taja 123 Your story sounds very familiar. I have been having trouble with all of the above and was concerned that it was my medication from my autoimmune disorder causing the problems. I also have astigmatism in the right eye. I will remember what you said: multi focal implant. Thank you. 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I try to be good about wearing sunglasses - I didn't the first 40 years of my life, but I do now. 

@hoosieroriginal

I have always worn sunglasses, winter and summer, because I am very susceptible to the sun's rays in all ways.  I have always had to cover up completely at the beach, and the few sunburns I have had have been very serious.  I am very fair skinned with blue eyes.

Eye doc said that's probably why my cataracts are still minor at age 79.  Especially during these times, it is so important to protect one's eyes.

So try to be "good" every day. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986