Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a supplement that really helps reduce inflammation?

On 3/24/2015 julianne said:

In al honesty, this is not the place to ask. Consult a professional. Good luck

I'd disagree. Some posters know more about supplements and vitamins than many physicians. I know that for a fact.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 3/24/2015 julianne said:

In al honesty, this is not the place to ask. Consult a professional. Good luck

Regarding nutrition and supplements, there is a lot they don't know.

EXACTLY!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

This is a great brand of tumeric. It is more easily absorbed

Valued Contributor

On 3/24/2015 terrier3 said:

Eliminate sugar and processed starches from your diet.

Eat salmon at least 3 times a week. Drink unsweetened tart cherry juice.

Exercise...at least 30 minutes a day.

Get your teeth cleaned at least 3 times a year.

Plus the supplements.

Taking supplements won't do a thing if you still have a diet filled with a lot of sugar and starches (and alcohol too).

Great suggestions!!!

Super Contributor

We take Andrew Lessman's turmeric with every meal we have at home. It will probably be special priced in July at HSN.

As others have said, eliminate inflammatory foods. Dairy, meat, for example. At the very least, dairy. - Bird

Trusted Contributor

Did your doctor prescribe the 800 mg. of ibuprofen? Taken on a daily basis, it can harm your kidneys. I am a living testament to that. I was prescribed an N-SAID for years for arthritic pain. I now cannot take any NSAID, no tylenol, and basically no pain medications. The arthritis keeps getting worse and now I can't take anything (other than a narcotic drug prescription) for pain and I refuse to use the narcotic drug pain relievers, so even if I get a headache, a muscle pain due to exercise, etc., I can not take anything. So, if your doctor did not prescribe the ibuprofen, I would get it cleared from your doctor.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Hi, AGV. I am a person who likes turmeric, too, and I usually recommend this spice/supplement if a person is not on blood thinners. I also like ginger as an anti-inflammatory.

However, I have something else to recommend for you, and you will need a doctor's help for it, too. As you are experiencing a lot of inflammation, perhaps you need to get blood work done to determine if you are regularly eating foods that you are allergic to and that are setting off an inflammatory process in your body. Food allergy testing may be the answer for you. You may even be one of those who cannot tolerate fish oil, so a full food panel might be very revealing and help you to reduce your inflammation by eliminating foods that are potentially triggering your problem.

Good luck. I hope you reduce your inflammation significantly.

Respected Contributor

unsweetened tart cherry juice? Is that sold at Trader Joes? I've never heard of such a claim that it reduces inflammation.
Regular Contributor

On 3/24/2015 wagirl said:
On 3/24/2015 gabstoomuch said:

I will never understand the rigidity of board.

People asking for "idea, thoughts, suggestions" are really smart enough to ask a question and then research an idea or suggestion to figure out if it is best for them, or even worth asking a Dr about.

Some of the best information, whether it be a medical question, or buying a washer, comes from 'word of mouth'.

A message board nothing more than digital word of mouth, imo.

Also, in my opinion, most Dr's know very little about adjunct stuff. I would trust Andrew Lessman(HSN) over my own Dr for supplement information, in a heartbeat! Dr's don't have every answer.

I find I have to be my own health advocate nowadays. I ask many questions, wherever I want to, and filter the info myself. I end end up finding out things I had never heard of. I have thyroid disease. I won't feel better just depending on my DR, that is for sure.

I find it insulting that some members of this particular board beat the "this is not the place to ask 'that' kind of question (anything medical) drum over and over.

Why can't the people that want to make a suggestion, do so.

Those that feel off-put by a question, then just don't offer up any idea?

No one is going to get sued by giving a suggestion/idea on a public message board.

Well said and I agree 100%.

It never ceases to amaze me that there is always someone telling the person asking for some advise on this health and wellness board to seek the advice of a doctor. Why do some feel the need to say this on a health board. It is so strange to me, we are all here to help and or encourage others who might be going through the same thing. It doesn't mean that the person asking the question never visits a doctor, it just means they are open to suggestions, please refrain from saying "go to a doctor" on this medical board and leave us all alone.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Mochahoney said:
On 3/24/2015 gabstoomuch said:

I will never understand the rigidity of this board.

People asking for "idea, thoughts, suggestions" are really smart enough to ask a question and then research an idea or suggestion to figure out if it is best for them, or even worth asking a Dr about.

Some of the best information, whether it be a medical question, or buying a washer, comes from 'word of mouth'.

A message board nothing more than digital word of mouth, imo.

Also, in my opinion, most Dr's know very little about adjunct stuff. I would trust Andrew Lessman(HSN) over my own Dr for supplement information, in a heartbeat! Dr's don't have every answer.

I find I have to be my own health advocate nowadays. I ask many questions, wherever I want to, and filter the info myself. I end end up finding out things I had never heard of. I have thyroid disease. I won't feel better just depending on my DR, that is for sure.

I find it insulting that some members of this particular board beat the "this is not the place to ask 'that' kind of question (anything medical) drum over and over.

Why can't the people that want to make a suggestion, do so.

Those that feel off-put by a question, then just don't offer up any idea?

No one is going to get sued by giving a suggestion/idea on a public message board.

gabstoomuch, very well said. no, this is not a medical forum where one consults a physician. rather, this is a place where one can ask a question and get information and insight from others who may have some knowledge ( from personal experience or observation) to offer. then the poster seeking the information may filter through the answers and possibly gain some perspective on what to further research or discuss with their medical professional.

when I was diagnosed with De Quervain's tenosynovitis, an inflammation of the tendons in the thumb and wrist, I was advised by my physician to take the antioxidants astaxanthin and resveritrol as well as NSAIDS ( ibuprofen). I chose to try the antioxidants first and got great pain relief within a week. as someone else mentioned, I also trust Andrew Lessman's supplements and use his astaxanthin and resveritrol. I would not be without it.

although these antioxidants were recommended to me for treatment of a tendon inflammation, I have since read that these antioxidants are recommended for treatment of any chronic inflammatory condition.

OP, I hope you find some material here to work with and can then seek your physician's opinion specifically for your situation.

I have also been diagnosed with De Quervain's Tenosynovitis. I'm waiting to see a Hand Surgeon. It is so painful. It really affects my activities of daily living. I take Ibuprofen and it helps some but doesn't give me full relief. Is there anything that can be done, medically or will I just have to live with it?