Respected Contributor

Re: Is the flu still out there?

My elderly dad lives in an independent senior facility in the far southwest suburb of Chicago. They have a communal dining area. Last Thursday it was closed, no bingo, no Wi bowling and their deli was also closed due to stomach virus. Their dinner was pre packaged and delivered to their rooms.

I was out with him today and he told me that the deli and dining room were opened today but still no activities.

Honored Contributor

More of my friends were Mia today.I called one woman and sure enough she has the stomach bug.I sure hope I can escape this one.
Valued Contributor

Yes the flu is still around. I came down with it last Thursday.. My fever was 103, aches and pains everywhere,chills,diarrhea,dehydration,occasional nausea loss of appetite and,sore throat. Today my temp has been near 102 and I have begun to cough. Returning to doc on Friday. I finished radiation treatments for breast cancer in the middle of February so my immune system is very compromised right now so my doc is monitoring me closely.Tomorrow I start week 2 hoping it's the recovery week. And yes I did have the flu shot.
Super Contributor

My 78 year old mother was sick with the flu for a month. She says she will now get the flu shot.

Honored Contributor

embgm so glad to hear your radiation treatments are over but now you have to beat the flu.You sure have had a rough time sorry to hear that.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not hearing local news about the flu, but many students, faculty and staff at work had quite a time of it in February and early March. I had a flu shot in October (controversial, I know) and I stayed away from the gym, since January, where people were hacking on the equipment.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Stomach "flu" does not exist, it might be viral or another cause....Influenza is just that...often people use, gi problems, bad colds, synonymously with "flu". High fever, body aches, headache are usually presenting symptoms....we do have Influenza all year round and one reason is due to international travel; the flu seasons elsewhere or different than ours many times and travelers bring it home....traditional cases are heavier February through April in the US. The vaccine does not cover all strains every year but some years it is pretty accurate; this year a new strain popped up here but they do say that if you contract the uncovered strain and had the flu shot, your case may be less severe.
Esteemed Contributor

Still going around out here and I did get my shot, so this is something else indeed. All of the mentioned symptoms in spades along with truly amazing joint pains in my hands, could hardly hold a glass. Got up today and took a shower and brushed my teeth which is a first since last Friday as near as I can recall. The night sweats made me all nostalgic about menopause - not.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your kindness dex. I'm sporting a 101.7 fever right now and I am shivering. Poor husband has had to care for me through surgeries, infections, radiation and now the flu. As this progresses New symptoms appear. Today I lost what little breakfast I ate in the shower and tonight my congestion and coughing has increased. Tomorrow I'm back to see the doctor . This is my second week so I'm hoping to see the end soon.
Contributor

Yup...just getting over it! Fever chills cough congestion wiped me out for 5 days! Kicker is I GOT THE FLU SHOT!!!!! Oh well...we are weak beings if a microscopic organism can kill us! Smiley Wink