Valued Contributor

Re: Is the flu still out there?

Saw the doctor today. She was hoping to see some improvement in me but that hasn't happened yet. Now I'm on antibiotics,prednisone,anti nausea meds and my goal for this afternoon is hydrate. We are gonna talk later to see if she wants me to go to the er for hydration. I have had a fever for 9 days.
Respected Contributor

As several of you are suffering from some sort of influenza or influenza-like illness, I thought I might share this from Pubmed which talks about Complementary Alternative Medicine things like coconut oil, green tea, licorice, etc. that some cultures use to combat influenza:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2957173/

Please note that I am not attempting to give out medical advice, and I am not trying to dissuade anyone from treating with their doctor, but rather I am providing some interesting information that you may not have seen yet (even though I think I have posted this link a few times already in this forum). I hope everyone feels a lot better soon. It is never fun to feel run down and ill. All the best to you.

Honored Contributor

The symptoms you report are not symptoms of seasonal flu. The sick people must have a stomach bug.

Super Contributor

I live in SoCal. My grandkids had it and I got it. I was released from the hospital today. I had nausea, vomiting, horrible cough and congestion, extreme muscle weakness and headaches.My doctors sent viral titres to the lab. They confirmed the diagnosis of influenza. This was not Stomach virus. It was the good old fashioned flu. Because I was so dehydrated I started to go into kidney failure. Thank God the IV fluids took care of that. Doc says he is seeing 2-5 cases a week. He said that he panicked when he saw me because I rarely see him and I usually take care of my minor aches and pains. I am an RN and Iknew I was in trouble. I am doing better but still have muscle weakness.
Respected Contributor

I di dnot get sick this year other than some food poisioning.

I rarely get sick but when i do it is bad!

i was sick 11/2013 to 02/2014 and almost went out of my mind it was so bad ughh

Honored Contributor

Embgm...sounds like you are really having a nasty time of it.Maybe you need some good old fashioned chicken soup and some extra ticket us know when you feel better and take care.