Trusted Contributor

Is epsom salts still good for a relaxing soak of the feet?

Thank you!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Cat HappyRobot LOL
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is epsom salts still good for a relaxing soak of the feet?

[ Edited ]

Dead Sea Salts are much better for you , they have so many  more minerals and much less of the sodium that is bad for you.

I order mine from SaltWorks they are having a sale right now and it is free shipping.

eta site

http://www.saltworks.us/

Respected Contributor

There is no sodium in Epsom salts. It is magnesium sulfate. I have a skin condition and bather twice daily with Epsom salts. Real salt: sodium chloride, would destroy my skin.

You probably could use something stronger on your feet. Magnesium sulfate is a muscle relalaxant.

Honored Contributor

Suzanne Sommers swears by a weekly epsom salt for 20 min. I used to do a weekly soak faithfully, but for some reason started to feel itchy afterward and stopped.

Regular Contributor

I've never tried epsom salts, but right now I am battling a bad case of poison ivy and am wondering if epsom salts would be good for clearing it up. Has anyone ever used it for that? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi MissBonBon,Yes Epsom salts are good for poison ivy. The salts will draw the moisture out. Soak in tub for 20-30 mins. Mix equal parts alcohol, water & apple cider vinegar & dab on areas & let dry to help with itching

Regular Contributor

Thanks Nightowlz... you're a lifesaver! Heart

I hope the epsom salts will help OP with her feet.

New Contributor

Being a sufferer of poison ivey cases in the past I'd highly advise against soaking in a warm bath or taking warm showers.  Best advice ive gotten is only cold showers or baths when poisoned.  Good luck and take care..  I wouldnt wish a bad case of PI on my worst enemy

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your input Bucks_Brewers_Packers. I'll try soaking my hands and arms in the cold water mixture.

Esteemed Contributor

One of the cheapest therapies there is!

I soak 2 or 3 times per week in a tub w/a cup or good handful of Epsom salts. Add 1 cup of baking soda if you're trying to heal dry/itchy skin.

Winter time I soak in as hot a tub bath as I can for aches & pains. Summer time in cooler water to reduce swelling in feet and ankles at the end of a long day.

If you can't get in & out of the tub, try a good foot soak in a tub of water or foot bath. Add a bit of baby oil or other bath oil for softer feet.