Valued Contributor

Insulin and Steroids Weight Gain

Has anybody else experienced a lot of weight gain after starting to take insulin and steroids?

Honored Contributor

Re: Insulin and Steroids Weight Gain

I've known several people and a dog or two who gained weight on steroids.  Have you done a search on the side-effects of this drug?  It's very powerful and not to be taken casually.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I cant speak to insulin but yes, I've taken corticosteroids and they will make you hold water and cause insulin disturbance in your body.

Short term use and the weight gain they cause should disappear when you stop taking them.

Respected Contributor

I'm not on insulin, but started taking 2000mg/day of Metformin in April.  When I went in for a recheck in August, I actually lost weight (11 lbs).  My Metformin was lowered to 1000/mg per day.  I'm still losing weight, slowly.

Honored Contributor

Everyone is different but I think generally many people gain weight from sterioids.  I've had to take steroids at different times (injected into me) and I've even experienced what they call "the roids" where you emotionally feel affected from them.

I had a cat that we had to give steroids to and my vet said there was a chance he'd get diabetes from them and he did.

Honored Contributor

I have been on inhaled steroids for my asthma for about 3 years now. All my weight gain has been around my middle which is very frustrating.However, being able to breathe makes it worthwhile.The dosage of inhaled vs oral steroids is much less so that is good. My SIL's sister has to take oral steroids for her RA  and she has the whole moon face  and big belly and really high blood sugars  as a result. every time I see her - about once or twice a year - she looks worse. I guess she doesn't want to take the biologicals.

Valued Contributor

Insulin can cause weight gain. Rule of thumb, the higher the dose, the more potential for weight gain. I am sorry you are going through this.
Honored Contributor

@Gayle2 wrote:
Insulin can cause weight gain. Rule of thumb, the higher the dose, the more potential for weight gain. I am sorry you are going through this.

Actually -- when a person is unable to use carbs for energy then the body burns fat instead - however this causes the body to become acidotic, which is a very unhealthy state for the vital organs, and lose weight.When that person is started on insulin they can now use the carbs they eat for energy and instead of just peeing the sugars out they get used normally, and the `acidosis and weight loss that goes with it stop. 

Honored Contributor

I've never taken insulin, but they did put me on prednisone when I was diagnosed with cancer, years ago. It's known to have fluid retention as a side effect. It also increases appetite. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

I have tried so hard, but the weight just keeps piling on.  It's like a foreign object.  I'm even having a hard time carrying all that weight, especially since I have so many other health issues.  I've met with a nutritionist to address it, with no solution.  Two of my doctors just shrug it off and say "it's comon" or "it's normal".  How would THEY like to have the problem?  The steroids are not temporary.  Smiley Sad