Honored Contributor

Re: If you are 60 plus...have you had your colonoscopy done yet?

@goldensrbest wrote:

There is a new at home test,Colon Guard, they send you a container to do your stuff in,and they test it,it will show if you have cancer,but does not show polyps.

When my doc sends me to the lab annually for all the blood drawing and whatnot, they give me the kit that looks like match books to test a stool sample.   Mine is ok every year.

Honored Contributor

I'm 61. (yikes, that still sounds weird!)

I've never had a colonoscopy or a mammo.   While this is perfectly fine FOR ME, I don't go around recommending that for others.  Hopefully, others know what is right for them and their lives.  Smiley Happy

I have heard that both procedures can be harsh.  If/when you go, I hope it goes well.

The only time I've had cancer was over 30 years ago so - so far, so good.

Honored Contributor

I've had 3 colonoscopies in less than 10 years, due to being at high risk.   So far no polyps or problems, which is how I want to keep it.   The doctor who does my colonoscopies, was also my fathers doctor, and he knows how much I want to avoid what my dad went thru.  

I am on the 5 year plan, but have never gone that long between tests, and probably never will.   I am determined to be proactive about this, and will never put off having this test because of fear; which is what my dad did, twice.   I have never encountered a problem with my insurance paying for the test on a more frequent basis, but if for some reason they refused to pay, I would pay for the test myself.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Seriously, you preach loud & hard to everyone you know (and don't) about how important this test is.  Many here know too am a huge advocate for getting your colonoscopy test done. 

I'll just say, trust me when I tell you the alternative in finding cancer is not at all a good thing.  Good to know the Dr found it, the consequences are grueling.  Back to almost normal, a blessing.

Respected Contributor

When I was scheduled for a screening spigmoidoscophy by Kaiser, I had to cancel dueto wrapping up things prior to retirement. This type of cancer does not run in my family so Kaiser sends me what I call a poop test annually. You take a little wand, get poop on it and mail it back in it's little test tube in a prepaid envelope. Always negative so far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking to the "if it ain't broke....." group.  I used to be one of you, but learned my lesson and sincerely hope you'll reconsider.  

Now I'm embarrassed to say it was years, I mean YEARS, that I didn't go for my annual pap smear and NEVER went for a mammogram.  I felt they were demeaning and just didn't like the thought of going through the process.  Plus, I don't like getting on a scale in front of anyone.  Starting around age 49 and lasting a few yrs., I had horrible periods that confined me to my house, much of the time my bed as I had to be very near to the bathroom.  My mom was never one to discuss such topics so I didn't know if what I was experiencing was the normal progression of perimenopause through menopause  Eventually they tapered off and stopped except for a bit of a tint.  Again, I didn't know if this was all part of how it all was supposed to go or if I should expect to just dry up all at once. That tinting lasted around a year or so until I finally decide that I'd better get it checked out.  I won't give you the blow by blow details, but the doctor told me that according to my age I was postmenopausal and that bleeding, even though minor, was abnormal.  After a number of tests and procedures, one of the discoveries was that I had precancerous cells in my uterus.  I ended up having a complete hysterectomy in 2013.  I'm so grateful that precancerous cells was all it was and that I had an opportunity to get rid of everything before things turned bad, but it still shook me up a bit to know what could have happened if I remained in the "leave it alone and not going to bother with it" camp.  After being reluctant to have a mammogram done, I'm happy to say I'm finally on track with that too.

Around the same time that I was beginning to address my female issues, DH and I had colonoscopies scheduled.  Not because we wanted to, but because we had money left in our flexible spending account that we figured we should use and colonoscopies are being recommended now.  DH is much more into health than me.  So we did it, each a week apart so the other one could do the driving.  The prep was no fun, in fact a bit brutal, but it was a small inconvenience relative to what could be detected and better addressed if found early.  As it turned out, each of us had a small polyp that the doctor removed on the spot.  But again, had we waited, the thought of what could have happened was very sobering.  Due to the polyp, we're both on the 5 yr. plan and we have every intention of keeping to that schedule.

Respected Contributor

Yes, the colonoscopy IS the gold standard, any thing else is waisting your time. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

So glad you got tested on all accounts !!!  Better safe than sorry, as the old saying goes!  I hope everyone who reads your post takes the appropriate action...you may have saved some lives today.

As for the prep, I have posted my latest experience which was truly a piece of cake compared to 10 years ago.

Took a few Dulcolax at 4 PM followed by drinking 8-10 ounces of Miralax dissolved in Snapple diet peach-flavored ice tea every 30 minutes ( 80 ozs total ).  No bloating / no diarrhea / no abdominal cramping / a solid good night's sleep.  

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I found if you drink "that stuff" with a straw and nothing coats your mouth and tongue it is easier (excuse the pun) to swallow.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I wanted to add that I like the idea of a less  invasive type test so...before my next one is due, I will do some research on that one.  

@jubilant

if there is a "less invasive" test my Gastro Doctors don't know about it. i guess some can hope. i'll stick with ones i know work, in spite of my 20 gallons of Go/NuLytely drank, or is it drunk?

hnj

hckynut(john)