Esteemed Contributor

I just had to share, lol. I have been disappointed with my blood sugar since december, when I quit metformin. I eat about the same things so DUH, I should have figured it out! Last night I increased my Lantus, and this morning my bs was good, finally. It only took 2 months, lol. What a dumb a**!!! I also WISH I would have seen a doctor before I did! I had gestational diabetes when my twins were born, then I was ok. That was 21 years ago. Subtle warnings, thirst, fatigue,blurred vision and other things I attributed to menopause, lol. When I ended up in the ER, the doctor told me I'd had it for a long time! If I had paid attention, I could have prevented complications I have today!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Emmiesmom...don't be so hard on yourself, you can move forward from this point. When I dwell on what I could have done, it only creates stress and makes it more challenging. So, what can you do given your sitution today. Can you change your diet, get more sleep, meditate for calmness, just run a warm sudsy bath and breathe deep in order to clear your mind. Just commenting because we all have issues we wish we had handled in a different way...it is a main way that we grow and learn in life. Hugs to you....be kind to yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much for your kind post! You're right! Feeling guilty and looking back is futile! I just can't believe the mistakes I've made. I need to be more proactive in the future, I hope its not too late! I had no idea how serious diabetes really is!

-- Mae West
Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing that. I agree - don't beat yourself up too much. Though I beat myself up, too. That's why I sound like such a broken record on here sometimes... hoping that maybe someone out there will be like we were years ago. Only they will hear and 'get it' sooner.

I was so dumb. But at the same time, my doctors never really explained to me how BAD it was, either. The blood sugar thing was always sort of mentioned as a side note, like you should watch that. Like we should also get more exercise and not eat salty stuff and Big Macs. HELLO! I'd just hear that and it would go in one ear and out the other. If my doctors didn't think it was that big of a deal, then why should I?

Sheesh, they give more warnings about the little blue pill than they do about what will happen to us if we don't watch our blood sugar. Maybe they should do commercials on TV about going blind, painful neuropathy, wounds that wont heal, losing toes, failing kidneys, heart attacks and strokes if we don't watch our blood sugar. If THAT had been drilled into my head, maybe I would have paid attention sooner.

But anyway, I'm glad you got a good result today by increasing your medicine. How does that song go? "I don't care how you get here...get here if you can". Hopefully most people will get it faster than this stubborn old mule did {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/11/2014 iam4truth said:

Thanks for sharing that. I agree - don't beat yourself up too much. Though I beat myself up, too. That's why I sound like such a broken record on here sometimes... hoping that maybe someone out there will be like we were years ago. Only they will hear and 'get it' sooner.

I was so dumb. But at the same time, my doctors never really explained to me how BAD it was, either. The blood sugar thing was always sort of mentioned as a side note, like you should watch that. Like we should also get more exercise and not eat salty stuff and Big Macs. HELLO! I'd just hear that and it would go in one ear and out the other. If my doctors didn't think it was that big of a deal, then why should I?

Sheesh, they give more warnings about the little blue pill than they do about what will happen to us if we don't watch our blood sugar. Maybe they should do commercials on TV about going blind, painful neuropathy, wounds that wont heal, losing toes, failing kidneys, heart attacks and strokes if we don't watch our blood sugar. If THAT had been drilled into my head, maybe I would have paid attention sooner.

But anyway, I'm glad you got a good result today by increasing your medicine. How does that song go? "I don't care how you get here...get here if you can". Hopefully most people will get it faster than this stubborn old mule did {#emotions_dlg.blush}

They had a good segment about diabetes on CBN.com today. You would like it. They suggest LOW carbs and healthy fats, No sugar. This is the way I eat based on Bernstein's diet. You might enjoy it, they talk about the scary complications..I hope others saw it. Its an epidemic right now, based on the sugar consumption in this country. I was one, a sugarholic and I'm paying for it! Have a great day, hope your ear's feeling better!

-- Mae West
Super Contributor

That's my son. I worry a lot about him. He's like you - not overweight in the least. But I know he has sugar issues because I've tested him with my meter, I just can't get him to go to the doctor himself... But he practically lives on starches, cokes, energy drinks, ramen, rice. Whatever cheap processed stuff you might find in a young bachelors apartment, lol.

But he's ignoring me.... you know...like I ignored it for so long. And you did. Another thing I wish people would get out of their head is that Diabetes is strictly a "fat person" problem. That losing weight is the cure-all to preventing diabetes. If my son lost any more weight, he would be invisible!

I'll look up that article. I doubt I can get him to see it though. It might mean that he'd have to eat something healthy once in a while!

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/12/2014 iam4truth said:

That's my son. I worry a lot about him. He's like you - not overweight in the least. But I know he has sugar issues because I've tested him with my meter, I just can't get him to go to the doctor himself... But he practically lives on starches, cokes, energy drinks, ramen, rice. Whatever cheap processed stuff you might find in a young bachelors apartment, lol.

But he's ignoring me.... you know...like I ignored it for so long. And you did. Another thing I wish people would get out of their head is that Diabetes is strictly a "fat person" problem. That losing weight is the cure-all to preventing diabetes. If my son lost any more weight, he would be invisible!

I'll look up that article. I doubt I can get him to see it though. It might mean that he'd have to eat something healthy once in a while!

All three of my boys are slender and like junk food. The oldest has joined a gym and given up carbs,because his friends are on the paleo diet. My ex has diabetes too, so they're at risk for this friggin disease! I know they eat carbs, but they don't eat sugar like I did. I weighed in the 90's when I was diagnosed, I think those that are overweight can reverse this disease if they lose weight. My mom was a size 4 when she died.The avandia caused her stroke, its a deadly drug, still think its available. My rapid weight loss should have been a clue..the woman I cared for wanted me to go to her doctor, wish I had! Maybe we should make a commercial!

-- Mae West