Honored Contributor

Re: IBS Sufferers --- Please share what helps you --

@AspenGrove wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 - I starting having very unfun symptoms about a year ago, which my doctor said are typical of IBS, but I don't officially have IBS. Her recommendation was for me to alter my diet to follow the FODMAP Food List. I was skeptical at first, but realized that my already healthy diet consisted of daily foods like apples and whole grain bread -- all on the "NO" part of the FODMAP list. 

So, I decided to follow my doctor's recommendation and experiment. It certainly couldn't hurt to try.  Holy cow! I discovered exactly which foods were causing my symptoms.  My doctor told me it would take a few days to a week of not eating those foods at all for me to see things change if they were going to change. She was right.   She also had me do some extra tests after I got my gut happy again.  Of the foods I identified as the culprits, she had me eat a small amount of them a few months after all of my symptoms had been gone.  Sure enough, symptoms came back with a vengeance in a matter of hours after eating just a small amount of the culprit food!   Amazing.  (Also, my doctor told me that many people who think they can't tolerate foods with gluten are actually not sensitive to gluten at all; it's other foods, as shown on FODMAP, that are giving them trouble.  Interesting, I thought.)

Anyway, if you don't already know about FODMAP (here's another good article from the Cleveland Clinic), you might want to do some research and give it a try also.  The fact that eating this way has completely stopped my IBS-like symptoms continues to amaze me!

@AspenGrove

I have heard of this but haven't really looked into it much.  My doctor told me to try and research this and some other things.  I thank you for the article!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

for IBS with constipation I take magnesium citrate, 500mg and it works like a charm.  Hubby recently had knee replacement and has opiod constipation and I gave him some (as he rolled his eyes) and yes, he was quite "relieved" the following morning.

Honored Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

for IBS with constipation I take magnesium citrate, 500mg and it works like a charm.  Hubby recently had knee replacement and has opiod constipation and I gave him some (as he rolled his eyes) and yes, he was quite "relieved" the following morning.

@PhatCat

Thank you for this suggestion!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Miralax once a day for three days.  Usually only have to do this routine once a week.

No dairy, no meats.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Miralax once a day for three days.  Usually only have to do this routine once a week.

No dairy, no meats.

@LilacTree

Thanks! I appreciate your tips.  What do you do for calcium?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

No dairy, no meats.

@LilacTree

@AngelPuppy1

Calcium gives me unbelievable digestive problems.  I do take 2000 IU of D3 every day, as well as B12.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

No dairy, no meats.

@LilacTree

@AngelPuppy1

Calcium gives me unbelievable digestive problems.  I do take 2000 IU of D3 every day, as well as B12.

@LilacTree

Thank for replying.  I have a lot of issues with milk these days.  If I eat yogurt it doesn't seem as bad.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Lettuce - love my tossed salads and have refused to give them up - but......I've narrowed sleepless nights when digestive system seems to working for hours - to lettuce.  Boston lettuce - Romane, etc., all the same.  Same for fried foods or heavily coated meats.  Google hard to digest foods and raw greens comes up often.    You're not suffering alone!

@fthunt, I don't have IBS, but am having digestive problems and lettuce was bothering me too.  But I can eat raw Baby Spinach - not regular spinach. This is the only raw vegetable I have eaten for several months with no problem.

Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Lettuce - love my tossed salads and have refused to give them up - but......I've narrowed sleepless nights when digestive system seems to working for hours - to lettuce.  Boston lettuce - Romane, etc., all the same.  Same for fried foods or heavily coated meats.  Google hard to digest foods and raw greens comes up often.    You're not suffering alone!

@fthunt, I don't have IBS, but am having digestive problems and lettuce was bothering me too.  But I can eat raw Baby Spinach - not regular spinach. This is the only raw vegetable I have eaten for several months with no problem.

@ Montana

Wow, that's interesting!  I love most vegetables and would hate to give any of them up!!!  

Valued Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 - I starting having very unfun symptoms about a year ago, which my doctor said are typical of IBS, but I don't officially have IBS. Her recommendation was for me to alter my diet to follow the FODMAP Food List. I was skeptical at first, but realized that my already healthy diet consisted of daily foods like apples and whole grain bread -- all on the "NO" part of the FODMAP list. 

So, I decided to follow my doctor's recommendation and experiment. It certainly couldn't hurt to try.  Holy cow! I discovered exactly which foods were causing my symptoms.  My doctor told me it would take a few days to a week of not eating those foods at all for me to see things change if they were going to change. She was right.   She also had me do some extra tests after I got my gut happy again.  Of the foods I identified as the culprits, she had me eat a small amount of them a few months after all of my symptoms had been gone.  Sure enough, symptoms came back with a vengeance in a matter of hours after eating just a small amount of the culprit food!   Amazing.  (Also, my doctor told me that many people who think they can't tolerate foods with gluten are actually not sensitive to gluten at all; it's other foods, as shown on FODMAP, that are giving them trouble.  Interesting, I thought.)

Anyway, if you don't already know about FODMAP (here's another good article from the Cleveland Clinic), you might want to do some research and give it a try also.  The fact that eating this way has completely stopped my IBS-like symptoms continues to amaze me!

Thank you for the FODMAP link! I've had IBS w/FI for years and after seeing a Gastro and Surgeon, was told I have to find out what's causing this myself. My PCP said to avoid raw fruit & veggies for 2 weeks, but that hasn't helped. I see a lot of things I like are on the High side of the list. Time to start eliminating some of them I think.