Honored Contributor

Re: IBS Sufferers --- Please share what helps you --

@Toppers wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

How did you IBS sufferers find out you had this,were any test done?

Hi @goldensrbest,

I saw a Gastroenterologist years ago when I was first having problems with Acid Reflux. I developed IBS at the same time.

I then moved to a different location and was referred to another GI doctor due to a worsened flare-up of symptoms.

He did a lower endoscopy specifically of the lower part of the colon, just to rule out/confirm what he thought, and he confirmed the IBS. They kind of rule it in/out by a process of elimination of other issues. That's how it was done for me--that was my experience.

@Toppers

Yes, that's pretty much how it worked for me, too!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

@goldensrbest, for me it was months and months of tests. The colonoscopy with biopsy showed that I was suffering from colitis. Nothing really has helped me. They have a lot of meds out there for IBS-C, but not many for IBS-D. It is embarrassing that you might not get to the bathroom in time and frustrating. I have had this for about 16 years. @AngelPuppy1@Fressa, I understand completely. My MIL had Crohn's disease and has the same problem with "D". 

@loveschocolate

I know, it can be just awful, right?  There are days and days when I don't want to leave the house or be around people.  Not only do you feel lousy, but you are worried about the bathroom issue!!!  

Honored Contributor

I got some IB guard, to give it a try ,to see if it helps.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

We found eliminating meat and dairy to be most beneficial.   We cook lots of soups with beans, lentils, split peas, etc.

The thing about soups is that they cook for a loooong time and that seems to break down the foods to a state that is easier to digest.  We also use an immersion blender to further break down the food.

The veggie meats don't seem to hurt either, so we use them for chilis and burritos.

We had to learn a new way to cook but it is very successful for us.

Best of luck!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I got some IB guard, to give it a try ,to see if it helps.

@goldensrbest

Is that sort of like Floristor?  I take that 2ce a day.  

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

We found eliminating meat and dairy to be most beneficial.   We cook lots of soups with beans, lentils, split peas, etc.

The thing about soups is that they cook for a loooong time and that seems to break down the foods to a state that is easier to digest.  We also use an immersion blender to further break down the food.

The veggie meats don't seem to hurt either, so we use them for chilis and burritos.

We had to learn a new way to cook but it is very successful for us.

Best of luck!  Smiley Happy

@Oostende

I think that's great that you found this helps for you.  I am just trying a few different things and seeing if anything makes a difference!

Super Contributor

It's so funny, but my IBS is in a flare at this time, so seeing this post was a blessing. 

You are so right that it can make you miserable. I worry all the time if my stomach is going to be ok when I know I have to be out for the day.  

The heating pad certainly helps. 

I take digestive enzymes, probiotics, and fiber. They do help, but sometimes not.  My whole life seems to revolve around my stomach, sometimes. 

I have had many, many test to rule out something more serious. Although IBS is not life threatening, it certainly is a miserable illness.  

I feel your pain, and I wish you (and every other fellow sufferer) relief real soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think splenda might cause a flare for some people if you are trying to id triggers. 

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

It's so funny, but my IBS is in a flare at this time, so seeing this post was a blessing. 

You are so right that it can make you miserable. I worry all the time if my stomach is going to be ok when I know I have to be out for the day.  

The heating pad certainly helps. 

I take digestive enzymes, probiotics, and fiber. They do help, but sometimes not.  My whole life seems to revolve around my stomach, sometimes. 

I have had many, many test to rule out something more serious. Although IBS is not life threatening, it certainly is a miserable illness.  

I feel your pain, and I wish you (and every other fellow sufferer) relief real soon. 

@Ditzydori

It is a problem for sure.  And one which is so unpredicable.  I might be out somewhere and want to eat something and then worry --- uh-oh, what if this causes a problem??

Best wishes to you and to all! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 - I starting having very unfun symptoms about a year ago, which my doctor said are typical of IBS, but I don't officially have IBS. Her recommendation was for me to alter my diet to follow the FODMAP Food List. I was skeptical at first, but realized that my already healthy diet consisted of daily foods like apples and whole grain bread -- all on the "NO" part of the FODMAP list. 

So, I decided to follow my doctor's recommendation and experiment. It certainly couldn't hurt to try.  Holy cow! I discovered exactly which foods were causing my symptoms.  My doctor told me it would take a few days to a week of not eating those foods at all for me to see things change if they were going to change. She was right.   She also had me do some extra tests after I got my gut happy again.  Of the foods I identified as the culprits, she had me eat a small amount of them a few months after all of my symptoms had been gone.  Sure enough, symptoms came back with a vengeance in a matter of hours after eating just a small amount of the culprit food!   Amazing.  (Also, my doctor told me that many people who think they can't tolerate foods with gluten are actually not sensitive to gluten at all; it's other foods, as shown on FODMAP, that are giving them trouble.  Interesting, I thought.)

Anyway, if you don't already know about FODMAP (here's another good article from the Cleveland Clinic), you might want to do some research and give it a try also.  The fact that eating this way has completely stopped my IBS-like symptoms continues to amaze me!