Honored Contributor

Re: I walked out of the dentist office today!

@151949Do the hygenist's set policy in the office, have their own malpractice, etc.

I'd think you're hearing office policy. not her personal policy.

Think back to your nursing years -  did you get to decide treatments or did you follow instructions from above.  I know in teaching I used to tell my students that I could pass on the choices given to me, but would not go against orders from above.

Even if the hygenist is on commission, she's still following some orders.

Honored Contributor

Wow, sounds like you need a new dentist in FL.  I was going to say (BS aside that you can't make your own health decision for yourself) what does it matter where you have them taken especially if they are covered by insurance if you can have the x-rays sent to the other dentist but I understand more now.  That's BS and I'm sure there's a dentist in FL who has picked up on it and will work with you.

I go to a dentist (unfortunately in GA not FL or I'd recommend) that takes no insurance at all and everyone pays either out of network costs or on their own which is what I do.  My hygenist actually suggested I push my five year x-rays to the next six months because I was already doing something else that was added expense.  I took her up on it and we did it that way which helped me financially.  The good ones are out there.  It's a shame they are hard to find.  

Respected Contributor

Maybe your regular dentist will let you come in just before you leave for FL, and just when you come back.  It'll be a little longer than 6 months, but not by much.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Maybe your regular dentist will let you come in just before you leave for FL, and just when you come back.  It'll be a little longer than 6 months, but not by much.

Unfortunately the insurance doesn't allow any closer than every 6months and we are only in PA for 4 months.It would be nice ,but not possible.sigh.I think I am going to hold off and just go as soon as we get home in the spring,then find a new dentist down here in the fall.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe they are doing this.  I've never had any trouble holding off on xrays if I asked.  Can you speak directly with the dentist?  I'm just wondering if the dentist knows this is going on.

Esteemed Contributor

It's all about the money........just like all the tests physicians think we need......

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it has something to do with liability and not just to try to bilk more money out of you (your insurance). So, for example, if you have a tooth issue you didn't know about (e.g. loose filling, cracked tooth, etc) and they clean your teeth and it makes the problem worse or causes an infection, etc then they could be liable.

Honored Contributor

I just changed dental plans and this is part of a first appointment ....  maybe the insurance won't pay anything if the xrays aren't done ....  so why would they bother if they can't get paid?

Are you willing to pay out of pocket for the cleaning?   Have you spoken to the Dental plan customer service about this?

Super Contributor

The dentist i go to told me i can have my teeth cleaned with out any ex-rays.

The reason i had was had several exrays for other health issues in the past several months.

Really very surprised that all mentioned they were not allowed to have there teeth cleaned without having ex-rays done...

I also am a breast cancer surivor and prefer not to have any ex-rays unless required...

lovestodanceWoman Surprised

Honored Contributor

When I get my regular cleaning done, xrays are part of it.  I don't mind them and always comply.  The xrays are the first thing done before the hygienist starts her work.  At the end of the appointment, the dentist comes in and does her part.  We never can be 100% certain of what's going on in our mouths, we might have a problem that we aren't aware of because there's no pain, swelling, etc.  When I had my last cleaning, toward the end of 2015, the dentist reviewed the xrays and saw I had a crack in one of my teeth, which she confirmed with her own visual examination.  Because it was caught then, we were able to schedule work to be done before I actually broke the tooth and would have been in world of hurt.  Who knows, if I didn't do anything and the tooth broke it may have required more extensive work and cost me more money.  IMO, getting regular xrays done at the same time as the cleaning makes sense.