Honored Contributor

I walked out of the dentist office today!

I still have a dentist I trust up in PA. So I see him in the summer when we are there. All I need or want from the dentist while we are in Florida is my 6 month teeth cleaning. I want my regular dentist in PA to do my x rays and anything else.So today I go in for my teeth cleaning and the hygienist says I have to have x rays.I said no I would prefer just a cleaning and my dentist in PA will do my x rays. She said no ,they will not do just a cleaning.Either I let them do the xrays and then the doctor will do a complete exam and they will tell me what I need from there. I said NO ,just a cleaning here and I'll have the xrays done at the other dentist and she actually said Well, we have to do everything the insurance will allow today or we can't do anything. So I said then it won't be anything and I walked out. I am so sick of the rip off dentists here! 

Valued Contributor

Re: I walked out of the dentist office today!

My dentist in Virginia did the same thing to me.  I didn't want X-Rays and I was told I would not get a cleaning if I did not do the X-Rays. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would think a patient has the right to refuse any type of treatment they do not want. I sometimes tell my dental office, I do not want xrays taken on that day, and they dont take them.  I have White Coat Syndrome, so I only allow my BP to be taken at my internist's office, nowhere else. I absolutely think you did the right thing.

Honored Contributor

The only problem is I still have to find someone to just clean my teeth.

Frequent Contributor

I had a similar situation last time I went to the dentist. I'll admit, it's been a few years since I've been as I went for a few years without dental insurance. I want for a cleaning. After they did the xrays, exam, they told me I need a deep pocket cleaning. My out of pocket for it is pretty expensive. I asked if they could just do a regular cleaning this time, and in 6 months I'd come back for the more extensive cleaning. They refused. They said they either had to do the deep pocket or nothing. I walked out. 

Honored Contributor

@151949Apparently what you encountered is very common.  I say that because when I was in my Long Island dentist's office in October, we discussed my finding a Florida dentist.  I'm here more than there and have been for about 10 years now with no dentiest.  Both the dentist and my long-time hygenist in that office tell me I need to have a back-up here.

But here's what might interest you -  They told me the new dentist will probably want to do x-rays.  They suggested I agree, but ask for copies to be sent to them.  I plan to follow their suggestion. After that discussion, I don't even want someone to clean my teeth without their seeing the x-rays.  They are always on the wall as my hygenist works on me. , so it just made sense to me.

Honored Contributor

One of the ladies at my sewing club is a retired hygienist and she tried to make me feel bad saying that the hygenist s down here work on commission and because I walked out she won't get paid.It seems to me if you work on commission you should not take an attitude with your patients then. She could have gotten paid for a cleaning then but she chose to take the gamble and see if I would take the bait.

Respected Contributor

I agree - my new dentist is the same way - x-rays or no cleaning - I think it is ridiculous - so now I'm going to someone else to have just cleaning done.  I don't like x-rays in my mouth constantly - I think it should be our decision!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@151949Apparently what you encountered is very common.  I say that because when I was in my Long Island dentist's office in October, we discussed my finding a Florida dentist.  I'm here more than there and have been for about 10 years now with no dentiest.  Both the dentist and my long-time hygenist in that office tell me I need to have a back-up here.

But here's what might interest you -  They told me the new dentist will probably want to do x-rays.  They suggested I agree, but ask for copies to be sent to them.  I plan to follow their suggestion. After that discussion, I don't even want someone to clean my teeth without their seeing the x-rays.  They are always on the wall as my hygenist works on me. , so it just made sense to me.

The insurance will only pay for 1 set of x rays a year and I want them to be done by the dentist who will be doing the work if there is any needed.Even if this dentist said he found a cavity I would wait and get it filled unless it was a cavern. 

Also last winter the dentist here said I had cavaties when I actually did not.When I told him he had to get pre approval from the insurance before filling them, he could not produce x rays to show any cavaties. My PA dentist said there were no cavaties! So you get a sense of what you are dealing with down here.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I agree - my new dentist is the same way - x-rays or no cleaning - I think it is ridiculous - so now I'm going to someone else to have just cleaning done.  I don't like x-rays in my mouth constantly - I think it should be our decision!

Well you have to get your teeth cleaned twice a year and you only get x rays once a year so at least half the time they are cleaned without an x Ray.