Esteemed Contributor

Re: I think the melanoma is winning

@Ditzydori I believe in the power of prayer, sending prayers and well wishes, never stop believing, miracles do happen every single day!

Honored Contributor

It is late, and I should be in bed sleeping now.....but saw your thread and just had to come on.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma.  Have been on the OPDIVO immune therapy  since the beginning.  My cancer showed up in 3 different locations.....  This is a very potent treatment.  Get one every other Tuesday.  So far, I have had 2 naps since I am home.....and right now I am ready to hit the hay. 

I can really empathize with what your DH is going through.  It is not easy.....and some days I wonder how much longer I can go on like this.  Have been told I will have to do this the rest of my life.  Don't know how old your DH is, but I will be 77 in May.  There are a number of side affects, but that goes with the territory.  I am alone.....but have many folks that care about me and look out for me.....  My only sister lives in San Antonio, 1000 miles away.  She does make it to St. Louis 2 times a year to be with me and to check up on how I am really doing.

Please don't give up or let your DH give up.  There is always something better that can come along, as they are working very hard on a cure for us. Will remember your DH and you in my prayers.

Good night and blessings to you both.

Honored Contributor

I said a prayer for your husband this morning, Ditzydori.  I also prayed God will help you as you try to encourage him in his battle for life and give you both strength and hope. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jubilant, thanks so much for your prayers!!

SHOWME: I am so glad I came back on here tonite and saw your post. I don't remember the name of the immunotherapy they will put him on, but I'll take note of the one you just mentioned. Maybe that will work for hubby as well.  

We are waiting for the doctor to call us. We are originally from up north. Now, we are in Florida (snowbirds).  I don't know if you're familiar with Sloan Kettering in NYC, but that is a cancer hospital which is STATE OF THE ART!!!  Here in Florida the docs aren't like NYC, or at least the ones we saw so far.   😩😩😩.  I'm shocked because I thought the docs here would be comparable to NYC but so far, there're not.

We switched doctors because the first one would have killed him (long story). The new doctor was very thorough but I'm guessing is very busy because we are waiting (and waiting) for his call after he reviews hubbys films and calls the NYC dr at Sloan to discuss what's the best course of action to take next.  I'm anxious to get hubby help because he simple is not well. It seems like I'm watching the melanoma eat  him up right before my eyes. We're together 45 years, and because of this illness, he is a changed man. 

My hubby was already on Keytruda, another immunotherapy but it hasn't worked. You gave me hope that perhaps another will.  

Hubby is very grouchy, but I'll give him a free pass to,be grouchy because of what he is going thru. He just had major surgery in his neck last June. The last thing we wanted to hear is that it is back in his neck. 

I wish you health, peace and happiness. When I pray I def will include you as well. Thanks so much for sharing and giving me hope that perhaps this isn't  the end of the line.  God bless you always have 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear @Ditzydori.   (((gentle hugs))) for you and your husband.   I could recount stories and outcomes of all kinds about melanoma patients because I've known many in my family and also among my friends, but each one is so individual that I don't know that it would help.   I believe your husband is in good hands.   If you look to the internet for information, please be wary and cautious of unreliable sites.   I will add both of you, and his medical team, to my prayers.   Please stay in touch, as you feel comfy doing, and at the least please know many of us are here to listen if you need support or just a compassionate "ear." ❤️ 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori (Hugs) my dad is a melanoma survivor. He had surgery and was on interferon for a year. Doctor also put him on an antidepressant as well.  Dad wasn't fond of that, but took it.  He's been cancer free for almost 17 years. Smiley Wink. Will keep you and your  husband in my prayers.

@ShowMe You're in my prayers as well. I knew you were fighting cancer, but did not realize it was melanoma.  (Hugs).