Honored Contributor

I need your help searching for specifics on doctors

Hello and Happy Mother's Day. I know some of you are computer savvy. I need some instructions on how to conduct a search for top rated doctors in certain specialties. I am also searching for an MD/DO, integrative Dr or naturopathic Dr. I have a very rare diagnosis and only 5 places in the entire world have conducted research, 3 of these are overseas. The other question I have....is there a publication listing top rated doctors by specialty? I talked to my SIL who works the CDC and she was not able to help. I am thankful for any help. TIA D
Super Contributor

Re: I need your help searching for specifics on doctors

First thought that comes to mind -- http://clinicaltrials.gov/

You can search for your situation on here to see if there are any US clinical trials.

And if your situation is truly as "rare" as you're assuming it is, you may not be able to be quite so selective, i.e., DO, naturopathic, etc. And I'm sure you know there are a lot of quacks in the less traditional medical world, so please beware of snake oil vendors.

Super Contributor

Some magazines will list "top rated" doctors, but the ratings are subjective---each person has different requirements for what they consider a "top rated" doctor. Example--I want to go in, get what I need and get out-- if I have something wrong, give me my options briefly and I'll let you know. I don't want to sit around talking with the doctor. Most people wouldn't want a doctor like that, but I do. Some ratings are actually paid for, you don't want those either.

If you have a "very rare diagnosis" your options will be limited anyway. If there is a central website for your disease (like for kidney disease there is the American Kidney Foundation), you might be able to access a message board for your disease that gives recommendations from real patients.

If you have a diagnosis of some very obscure thing, you might try using Google by searching for whatever the diagnosis is and the word "physician".

If your SIL at the CDC can't help, I don't know who could. If you say what the diagnosis is here, maybe someone will read and give you a direction to go in.

Super Contributor

My Indianapolis Monthly magazine has a yearly "Best of the Best" MD edition, where the MDs themselves vote who's the top in each category. Perhaps other major cities have the same thing??

And what about Dr. Phil's Doctor on Demand thing? Maybe calling into that and asking for direction might help??

Super Contributor

Have you tried ratemds.com? You can search for Drs. by name, city, state or specialty. Once a year San Diego Magazine lists the areas best Drs. I assume that other cities do the same. Hope this helped. Sue

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 butterfly123 said: how to conduct a search for top rated doctors in certain specialties.

I typed exactly that into the Bing search bar. Lots of suggestions.

Without more specific information, it's not an easy question to answer.

Honored Contributor

I would try NIH. My friend's mother did a clinical trial there for her rare cancer and had a wonderful experience (and outcome). You become a lifer when you do these trials. They have to follow you for life.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

When I had an unusual problem there was only one doctor in the area who performed the surgery I needed and had only done 3 in a year so I went to the internet. I entered my diagnosis and one doctor's name kept showing up because of his research and papers he had written. It was a few hundred miles away in a major medical center but I made an appointment and had the surgery and it was the smartest thing I could have done. The doctor told me that most of the time he has to try to correct previous surgeries done by doctors who are not skilled in the procedure and that makes the outcome much more iffy. It was uncomfortable going to a strange city and then having to go all the way back for a check up a week post surgery but I'm so glad I did. The internet really made it easy to find the information I needed. Good luck and I hope you have a good outcome.

Honored Contributor

The diagnosis is Retroperitoneal Fibrosis.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/11/2014 butterfly123 said:

The diagnosis is Retroperitoneal Fibrosis.

Try doing a search for Nephrologists in your area.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines