Esteemed Contributor

Re: I bought health insurance from the exchange.

[ Edited ]

@sillimee: Other than working for state government have you held any other jobs?(including Summer jobs when you were in school?).  If you have some credits, get a pt job (anything will contribute to your quarters).  I have a friend who retired as a Federal worker, when at the time had no contributions to SS, who got a job at a fast food place, just to round up her quarters for Medicare.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@sillimee: Other than working for state government have you held any other jobs?(including Summer jobs when you were in school?).  If you have some credits, get a pt job (anything will contribute to your quarters).  I have a friend who retired as a Federal worker, when at the time had no contributions to SS, who got a job at a fast food place, just to round up her quarters for Medicare.

@patbz

I have looked into working part-time but with the kind of disability I have it is very difficult for me to hold any kind of job. In a nut shell I have  severe hand disability which prevents me from doing many things...simple things like picking up a phone or holding a broom. No one wants to hire a person with 'no hands' so to speak. But what you said has been touched upon but unfortunately nothing can become of it. Yes, I do have a few few work credits in my SS records but not enough to qualify for any benefits.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mint2 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear @SilleeMeeWow you were super lucky to have insurance like that. Are you eligable for SS disability that could help you out?

No, I am in no way eligible for any SS benefits, including SSI, SSD or Medicare. I worked for the state government where SS or Medicare tax was not withheld from my paychecks because it was not required by law at that time. I am receiving a state pension fund now and when I turn 65 I will have to pay the full amount of the premium for Medicare insurance which is very disheartening. @Mint2

My DH has friends who worked for local government ( police officers)  and they too paid no SS taxes.  When they retired, they took their wonderful pensions and got another job.  They have been working full time for years now just so they can get SS/ Medicare benefits. All are over age 65 now and still working.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mint2 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear @SilleeMeeWow you were super lucky to have insurance like that. Are you eligable for SS disability that could help you out?

No, I am in no way eligible for any SS benefits, including SSI, SSD or Medicare. I worked for the state government where SS or Medicare tax was not withheld from my paychecks because it was not required by law at that time. I am receiving a state pension fund now and when I turn 65 I will have to pay the full amount of the premium for Medicare insurance which is very disheartening. @Mint2

My DH has friends who worked for local government ( police officers)  and they too paid no SS taxes.  When they retired, they took their wonderful pensions and got another job.  They have been working full time for years now just so they can get SS/ Medicare benefits. All are over age 65 now and still working.

Lucky for them. I'm disabled and if I wasn't then I would still be working at my age of 62. I have tried to find someone to hire me to do what I can. But when you have 'no hands' people won't even consider me.@Carmie

Honored Contributor

We've been hearing for YEARS that there are much better plans.

Of course we don't know what they are.

Even those telling us there are much better plans don't know what they are.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

New taxes for Obamacare start Jan 2020, it's called the Excise Tax on Comprehensive Health Care Plans, a 40% tax on Cadillac plans, you can look for the details online along with all the different taxes in effect & the hikes coming. UnitedHealth also is adding a 3% tax to all plans again in 2018, I'm still looking for info if that hike applies to all insurers. Good Grief, you will be paying an additional tax on plans you can't afford in the first place & can't use unless you meet the high deductibles. More & more people will opt out & pay the fine. Designed to fail & so it goes....

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mint2 wrote:

Lucky for them. I'm disabled and if I wasn't then I would still be working at my age of 62. I have tried to find someone to hire me to do what I can. But when you have 'no hands' people won't even consider me.@Carmie

I am so sorry to here that.  I posted my comments before I read about your disability. Please excuse me.  I didn’t mean to be unkind.

I know that there are people who can’t afford Medicare and they get it from a Medicaid program that costs them nothing. I don’t know much about it, but,I know it exists.  Medicaid also pays for the supplement.

I came across it while working in Customer Service for a health insurance company.  I used to get calls from Medicaid about the premium bills which they paid.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wish I had something to look forward to in getting on Medicare when I turn 65 @maestra. But as it appears, I will have to pay for it, unlike most people who get it automatically when they turn 65. Last time I checked, Medicare premiums are at around $600, or there abouts, and that is what I will have to pay since I do not have 'work credits' in the SS system. Mine were contributed to state retirement association. I have been told by my health insurance agent that my case is highly unusual and that he has a strong suspicion that I may be placed on Medicaid when I turn 65 because with my income it would be impossible to pay for it in it's entirety.

I am confused.  Why do you say that most people don't pay for medicare?  When DH started getting his SS payments, the premiums were and are deducted from his payments.  You are saying that some people don't pay anything for Medicare? 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mint2 wrote:

I am so sorry to here that.  I posted my comments before I read about your disability. Please excuse me.  I didn’t mean to be unkind.

I know that there are people who can’t afford Medicare and they get it from a Medicaid program that costs them nothing. I don’t know much about it, but,I know it exists.  Medicaid also pays for the supplement.

I came across it while working in Customer Service for a health insurance company.  I used to get calls from Medicaid about the premium bills which they paid.

Oh no, @Carmie no offense taken. Woman Happy Thank you for giving that info about Medicaid and how it relates to Medicare. My insurance agent mentioned the same thing to me about it. The way it looks for me at age 65, I may be placed on Medicaid. That's fine with me as long as I can still see a doctor.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mint2 wrote:

Thats why my husband and I don't retire, the insurance. 

@Mint2  Wouldn't your health coverage continue after you retire?  My Husbands retirement plan  covers his health care completely ..and My cost per year on his coverage as his spouse is about $350 a month.  

You’re lucky, @SeaMaiden.  Very few companies offer that anymore.