Honored Contributor

Re: I bought health insurance from the exchange.

@Mint2 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear @SilleeMeeWow you were super lucky to have insurance like that. Are you eligable for SS disability that could help you out?

No, I am in no way eligible for any SS benefits, including SSI, SSD or Medicare. I worked for the state government where SS or Medicare tax was not withheld from my paychecks because it was not required by law at that time. I am receiving a state pension fund now and when I turn 65 I will have to pay the full amount of the premium for Medicare insurance which is very disheartening. @Mint2

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mint2 wrote:

Thats why my husband and I don't retire, the insurance. 

Believe me @Mint2, I would still be working had it not been for disability. The insurance I had when I was working was the best thing anyone could ever ask for. It cost me nothing and I never had to pay any medical bills either. It covered 100% of everything at no cost to me.

DH and I have been dealing w/problems about healthcare for 2 years now.

I had to retire due to breast cancer, DH was already retired (he was on my ins.) and my employer had a legal way out not to provide COBRA (they said it was for my own good, can you believe the nerve?)

I cant wait to get onto Medicare.

Respected Contributor

There is only 1 provider in our state now; all the other companies bailed.

Valued Contributor

@tansy wrote:

The exchanges are being set up to fail.  

They were already failing.

Honored Contributor

I wish I had something to look forward to in getting on Medicare when I turn 65 @maestra. But as it appears, I will have to pay for it, unlike most people who get it automatically when they turn 65. Last time I checked, Medicare premiums are at around $600, or there abouts, and that is what I will have to pay since I do not have 'work credits' in the SS system. Mine were contributed to state retirement association. I have been told by my health insurance agent that my case is highly unusual and that he has a strong suspicion that I may be placed on Medicaid when I turn 65 because with my income it would be impossible to pay for it in it's entirety.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm also getting insurance through the exchange and mine is going up to $930.00 a month in January from my current payment of $840.00.  Last year it was $670.00 so I know that it will be well over $1,000.00 in January of 2019.  I'll finally be eligible for Medicare in the spring of 2019!

This is just for me....my husband is getting Medicare and I'm not eligible for a subsidy.  I rarely go to the doctor.  It stinks and It's the first time since I've been a teen when I've been actually looking forward to getting older!

ETA:  It is a joke & insulting to the many who either can't or can barely afford it by calling it the "Affordable" care act.

Respected Contributor

I've been on it since it's inception.  Every year the premiums went up 30 percent at least and each year I had to find another provider because they are all dropping out.   Now there's hardly anyone left. Deductibles before anything kicks in 5,000-8,000 including med's.  You live for the insurance.

For a good policy with top notch hospitals, Doctors, premium is well over 700.00-800 a month now with huge deductibles. And this year I was looking at participating hospitals, Doctors, and the good ones don't want anything to do with it.  Just awful.

I did better before "obamacare" came to pass.  My premiums were around $400.00 a month, 5,000. deductible. No crazy yearly hikes. Every hospital, doctor accepted it too.  Disgusting.Woman Mad

Were on the way to single payer, this is unsustainable for the people and the government.

Honored Contributor

@Mint2 wrote:

@Mint2  Wouldn't your health coverage continue after you retire?  My Husbands retirement plan  covers his health care completely ..and My cost per year on his coverage as his spouse is about $350 a month.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mint2 wrote:

@Mint2  Wouldn't your health coverage continue after you retire?  My Husbands retirement plan  covers his health care completely ..and My cost per year on his coverage as his spouse is about $350 a month.  

@SeaMaiden- many companies don’t offer coverage to their retirees. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The affordable health insurance has been going up every year since the beginning.  Many insurance companies are dropping out because they are losing money.

in many areas like where I live, there are only two plans to choose from.  My son who is not eligible for any subsidy help is paying double for the year 2017 as compared to 2016 and he has never used it.  His yearly deductible is $5000.  I am scared to look at the premiums for 2018.

He might as well just burn his money.

This program is imploding.  Hopefully, it can be replaced with something much better. I don’t Think it can get much worse.