Valued Contributor

Re: I Need Advice From Those Who've Had Total Knee Replacement

Well, I went to my OS yesterday and it looks like TKR is the next step.  I didn't set the date but did get all the information that I could and got the schedule for the joint replacement class at the hospital.  I'm sure I'll have lots more questions before alls said and done and his assistant was very helpful and gave me her personal number so that I coud call her at any time with additional concerns or questions.   I know a lot of people who have said to be very cautious about PT and what you will and will not let them do.  How did you choose your outpatient PT group and what limitations did you put on your therapist, if any; or did you just go to the one recommend and were satisfied with the one they assigned to you.  My OS gave me a couple of groups to choose from but one is extremely close to home; so, that's probably the one I would choose  My doctor said about 6 weeks or so outpatient.

Honored Contributor

@patticakes,

My TKR was done in the hospital where I worked.   Prior to surgery I spoke with several employees who would be taking care of me so I knew what to expect from them, and knew what I had to do for myself.   

The only PT option I considered was thru the hospital.   My therapist was actually the director of the department, and she was wonderful.   I tried every single exercise she asked me to do; if it hurt too much, I said so, and we simply moved on to something else, but I was receptive to trying everything at least once.  Some exercises I liked more than others, but I always tried to do everything.   In my last session, I pushed 140 lbs of weight with my legs, and no pain in my knee.   

My bend and flex movements were at outstanding levels within 3 weeks, and I was always way beyond each skill level prior to my physician rechecks.   My therapist did not think I needed all 22 PT sessions, but my OS insisted on the full therapy even though I had reached my max skill level in a few short weeks.   

I look at my TKR as a wonderful experience.  I suffered for 13 years before realizing it was time for surgery.  2011 was the most painful and difficult year of my life.   Once I made up my mind to go for the surgery, I absolutely refused to let anything get in my way.   I MADE my experience a good one, and I would absolutely do it again.  I do not have any pain or problems with my new knee.    

Best wishes to you with your surgery and healing!

Super Contributor

Red top, your story is exactly like mine to the tee. I'm def going to do the other knee after I come back from Florida. Thanks for sharing. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Patticake, you seemed very worried about PT. Like I stated before, it's NOT a bad experience at all. Try not to worry about it. I'm still doing PT.  I am going on my fifth week, plus 2 weeks at home after surgery. They constantly ask if I'm ok and if I need a break. I will disagree with anyone who told you negative things about PT. It's a positive thing that benefits you immensely.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

My friend just had both his knees replaced, at the same time, just this past Thursday. Not many doctors will do two at the same time.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I'll probably be getting it done the first of the  year on theleft leg and then the right about six months later.   Anyone use an ice therapy machine; and if so, is it worth buying if the insurance doesn't pay for one?  

Honored Contributor

@patticakes,

Those of us who have had TKR have experienced many similarities in our recoveries, but also many different ones as well.   The big difference for me was when it came to icing.   My knee was only iced 2x, and that was done early in my first week of PT sessions as part of their protocol; not because I needed, or wanted it done.   I did not experience swelling, and never iced my knee at home.   

My surgery was scheduled right after New Years.   I concentrated on cleaning my house, moving furniture to give clear pathways for my walker, removing rugs and any other obstacles, stocking my house with enough food and supplies for several months, so that no one had to worry about picking up much more than bread or milk.  I put all the comfy clothes I intended to wear to PT in a stack together for easy access.  Those first few weeks you don't want to have to be bending and searching for items in bottom drawers and the closet floor; think ahead and move what you'll need to an easy access location.   

The other thing I did was limit my exposure to germs during the holiday, to ensure I stayed healthy enough to have my surgery.   

Again, very best wishes to you with your procedure and recovery.

Respected Contributor

I had TKR almost 3 weeks ago.  My recuperation has been easier than I expected.