Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to get DH to get his hearing checked?

@Zhills@reiki604

Oh, yeh, my husband is an adult, but he's also an idiot.

Around 1991 he had a horrible head cold.  He and DD were scheduled for a weekend trip to Monterey to go cold water diving.  I begged him not to go, because you simply do not go divin when your sinuses and ears are plugged up(!).  Well guess what?  My husband with the 162 IQ lost 3/4 of the hearing in his right ear and around 1/4-1/3 in his left ear at his initial eval after the diving incident.

He finally went to the audiologist in my ENT's office in SoCal for only the 2nd time in 2013, before we retired and moved.  Ha!  When he came home with the results, which he refused to share with me, he said his hearing was normal.  This guy is in pathological denial.  I'm so sick and tired of repeating myself for the millionth time.  If you haven't experienced life with someone like this, you've no clue!  He actually gets mad at ME for repeating my answer to him, after he says, "What did you say?"

Esteemed Contributor

Gee, I don't remember typing that........but it is my thoughts exactly!  Even my doctor said she thought it was pathological denial and not dementia.  I might as well live in a vacuum.  My dog understands more than he does.  

Today, I mentioned that I liked the candle we got and was looking to buy another one online.  I said, "They don't have the sugared cranberry.  They have a lemon lime."  "Who wants one that smells like turpentine?"  Honestly, do you think he could even think that is what I said.   That is a normal conversation here anymore.  I don't have a lifetime invested and I am ready to bail.  I can handle illness, I can't handle denial and arguments.  SORRY.

Hope you have a good evening!  Know that someone understands!

Honored Contributor

My husband has some hearing loss from the war(Viet Nam), but it's only certain frequencies. Like he can hear a helicopter or airplane a mile away, but he can't hear me calling him from the next room. I think he's playing me though, because I'll test him by lowering the tone of my voice and he still doesn't respond.LOL I think it's dangerous when you can't hear, but the deaf deal with it.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I certainly would not want someone telling 

me what to do.  It is his hearing, his business. Sure, mention it once....but if he is fine with his hearing, then do not nag at him. 

@SeaMaiden  Obviously, you havn't lived with someone with a hearing issue.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I certainly would not want someone telling 

me what to do.  It is his hearing, his business. Sure, mention it once....but if he is fine with his hearing, then do not nag at him. 

@SeaMaiden  Obviously, you havn't lived with someone with a hearing issue.

@mousiegirl  I know all about irritating husbands... 35 years with one.  Nothing new.....

Esteemed Contributor

You deserve a medal.

Image result for medal

I haven't been married to this fellow that long and it is living in a hole with a curmudgeon!  Got caught in a financial trap for 3 years but that ended.  Escape!!!!!!!