Honored Contributor

Re: How much of a tip for a massage

The OP never said this was physical therapy. She received a gift certificate for a massage.

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 willdob3 said:
On 5/18/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:
On 5/17/2014 kutira said:

A massage is a medical treatment without insurance. Do you tip your doctor? I certainly have never tipped my massage therapist. And I've gone about 12 years.

A massage at a spa is a true luxury, and surely not medical treatment, you call the salon and ask the price of the massage then you can base your tip on that

I disagree about massage at a spa necessarily being a luxury. Most of the massages I have had were at spas & for medical/health reasons (not Rx) rather than as a luxurious indulgence. I can't imagine not tipping. For a good massage I would tip 20%.

On the other hand, if it were part of PT paid for by insurance I might not tip. The only time I had an Rx for massage the place insurance covered did not offer massage.

Most spas I have been to are total luxury, and I tip well, PT is more like an appointment with an MD and I would never give a tip

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I agree with the advice to find out how much the massage is before you book - and also how much the gift certificate is. It may well be that the tip has been included by the person who gave it to you.

I had an experience where I was given a $65 gift certificate. The massage cost $49 for one hour. They had me come 15 minutes early. After waiting 20 minutes (5 minutes into my hour, they then gave me a pitch for signing up for weekly massages - taking another 10 minutes even when I repeated that I only wanted this one massage.) So my massage ended up being 45 minutes.

Then the clerk wanted me to leave an additional tip - he suggested another $20 - over the $16 (or 25% tip already included in the gift certificate). I declined.

So be knowledgeable and be forewarned.

Trusted Contributor

I get massages frequently at my chiropractor for my bad neck & shoulder (it's full body with a concentration in the bad areas). I initially didn't tip because, like some here, I felt it was for a medical problem and was being partially paid by insurance. But the same question always bothered me, so when I saw another patient tip, I asked the receptionist. She it was up to me, and what I felt comfortable doing. My cost is $50 (my chiropractor is now out-of-network but agreed to keep charging me the same co-pay). I usually tip $10 (20%) more if the person has done a particularly good job. I don't know how much the person is actually paid for each massage, or if they are getting a salary. I go there regularly and see the same 2 or 3 people, so for me, it's what I want to do. If it was not at a doctor's office, there would be no question, I'd definitely tip.
Trusted Contributor

My massage usually is $90, for one hour, I tip 20%. I love massages, and it's right up there with my hair, nails and makeup for maintenance! I've seen many massage places pop up and their prices vary greatly, as does service from what some friends tell me.
Super Contributor

A massage at a day spa is a luxury item, just like a facial at a day spa is a luxury, or a mani/pedi is a luxury at a day spa, or a wax job is a luxury at a day spa.

I'd tip 20 - 25%.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
New Contributor

My husband and and I just had massages yesterday. We tipped 20%.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Dagna said:

I agree with the advice to find out how much the massage is before you book - and also how much the gift certificate is. It may well be that the tip has been included by the person who gave it to you.

I had an experience where I was given a $65 gift certificate. The massage cost $49 for one hour. They had me come 15 minutes early. After waiting 20 minutes (5 minutes into my hour, they then gave me a pitch for signing up for weekly massages - taking another 10 minutes even when I repeated that I only wanted this one massage.) So my massage ended up being 45 minutes.

Then the clerk wanted me to leave an additional tip - he suggested another $20 - over the $16 (or 25% tip already included in the gift certificate). I declined.

So be knowledgeable and be forewarned.

I would hope you never went back....pressure tactics...what a shame...how dare the clerk ask for more of a tip....

Respected Contributor

On 5/17/2014 kutira said:

A massage is a medical treatment without insurance. Do you tip your doctor? I certainly have never tipped my massage therapist. And I've gone about 12 years.

Seriously, a medical treatment? Not unless you have it done in the MD's office who prescribed it for U! Otherwise you do tip as it is generally considered a spa service! Tip according to how you feel about the service. Loved it, 20%!

fyi......massages I've had start at $80 for 50 minutes.

EnjoySmiley Happy

12 years of no tipping? Really cheap unless this is a medically prescribed service by a MD, chiropractor etc.

Super Contributor

My one hour massage costs $85. I just give her $100. I guess I tip right under 20%. I cannot imagine not tipping the massage therapist. To me, it would be like not tipping your hair dresser.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}