Honored Contributor

How do you keep your teeth white ?

[ Edited ]

Have heard 2 commercials this last week that contridict each other. One "dentist" says once you have lost the enamel on your teeth you don't/can't get it back. The last one said,  use their product and replenish the lost enamel. Now which is right? I'd think the first one. As we age, we lose more than we gain in most cases. (Only seem to gain weight! LOL),

Anyone know for sure? and how do you keep your teeth white?

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you keep your teeth white ?

Funny you posted this.  Everytime I see the one for the toothpaste that supposedly restores your enamel I think the same thing.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

From what I understand there is noting out there that will restore the enamal on the teeth.  I believe there are pastes out there that help to stop the erosion of enamel and I think there is a toothpaste that fills crevices and small pits of enamel loss but I don't believe that there is anything that will restore it.

I use a brush on whitener called Smileactives that I purchase off QVC.  It'll whiten maybe up to 2 to 3 times lighter and it didn't make my super sensitive teeth any more sensitive.  I am happy with the results...  Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

... I use a brush on whitener called Smileactives that I purchase off QVC.  It'll whiten maybe up to 2 to 3 times lighter and it didn't make my super sensitive teeth any more sensitive.  I am happy with the results... 

So this did not make your gums hurt at all?  I would like to try a whitener but my gums are so sensitive, I can't use regular toothpaste or mouthwash.

Honored Contributor

I use Colgate Optic White toothpaste a couple of times a week. It really works.  My teeth have always been naturally white though. 

I don't smoke or drink wine or eat many other teeth staining foods.  I brush a lot.  I have a phobia about getting yellow or brown teeth.  I thin it  would age me.  I already have silver hair, so I don't need to look older.

I have used a whitener a few times, but I don't think it made a difference

Honored Contributor

I think many people make their teeth too white, including a couple of QVC hosts.  This is especially true for people with darker or tan skin tones.  When they smile all you see are huge, unnaturally white teeth.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I stopped drinking lemonade and grapefruit juice. I still do eat grapefruit occasionally. Citric juices are really hard on enamel. If you do really want to drink them, it's best to sip them through a straw. 

I still do add lemon to my Vitamix green smoothie because its a great detox food. The greens help balance the acidity of the lemon. It's interesting because while lemon is acidic in the mouth, it is alkaline in the intestines.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think many people make their teeth too white, including a couple of QVC hosts.  This is especially true for people with darker or tan skin tones.  When they smile all you see are huge, unnaturally white teeth.

This is very true and for natural-looking results, cosmetic dentists say your teeth should never be whiter than the whites of your eyes.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I think it is true that once the enamel is compromised, it is compromised.  Also, some of us naturally have whiter teeth than others.  I have had several discussions with several dentists about this.  I am unhappy that my teeth have never been really white and I take excellent care of them and have used all types of whitening pastes, strips, rinses, etc.  I eventually started getting a bad reaction and sensitivity to all of these products and had to stop.  My current dentist said I am doing more harm than good and my teeth were not getting any more white any way.  Of course, if you have the money to pay for whitening at the dentist, that would probably work to a degree.  

Also, some foods help to keep your teeth a bit whiter I have read, such as pineapple, apples and strawberries.  Of course, coffee, tea and red wine are notorious for staining teeth.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

From what I've read, as soon as lemon mixes with the saliva, it turns alkaline.