Honored Contributor

Re: Home remedies for cough and congestion?

@BeccaLou wrote:

@house_catI came acrossed another odd but really works, is to tape a little piece of onion to each toe. And it will clear your sinuses. While you sleep . That being you don't own a pet that sleeps in your bed. Also a clove of garlic steeped in some chicken broth. And breath it in, or you can slowly drink it .

@BeccaLou

I have a pet that sleeps in my bed - been married to him for 34 years.  We've been through a heck of a lot together, but I think the onions might just be a deal breaker, lol!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@house_cat  Traditional Medicinals has some excellent herbal teas for coughs, congestion, colds, sore throats.  Beathe Easy, Gypsy Cold Care, Throad Coat  

Some drugstores carry them but Amazon has them.  

I love Breathe Easy and Throat Coat.

Steam and a humidifier can help ease symptoms. I like to use Olbas oil in a steamer and I mix some with a carrier oil to massage into my foreheard, temples, and cheekbones  if I'm having sinus pressure. It doesn't cure anything, but it helps ease symptoms some.

I also use a nasal rinse. A Neti pot can be tricky to use, but a NeilMed sinus rinse bottle is super easy if you've never done a nasal rinse before. You can buy one with a pre-mixed salt and baking soda powder to dissolve in the water, but you can find recipes to make your own online. The mixture is important because not enough salt or baking soda can make it sting.

Image result for sinuflo

Esteemed Contributor

This was on my FB page this morning....

Oregano Tea Recipe to heal strep throat, sinusitis, & infections

4 to 6 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
2 ½ cups water
1 tablespoon organic raw honey
Tea strainer

Method:

Cut the leaves to release the oil.
Boil the water on the stove for 10 minutes.
Add oregano leaves and allow to steep for five minutes.
Strain and add the honey.
Drink while hot to reap its maximum benefits.

Oregano tea uses:

Coughs, headaches, bronchial problems, swollen glands,
eczema, ear infection, sprains, colds, and back pain.
Indigestion, excess gas, bloating, urinary problems and constipation.

DISCLAIMER: This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions about your medical condition and/or current medication.

In the Tyson chicken ad she states that they feed their chickens oregano so they don't have to give them antibiotics.  We're not chickens, but apparently oregano had some good properties.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@sophiamarieIt is Vick's Vapor Rub. As in Vapor of smell.

IMG_0311.JPG

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Cough and cold meds have a terrible effect on me - I cannot tolerate them.

What's the best remedy for cough and congestion?

Thank you.

Lemon. Place some in water and heat it up or add it to tea. I juice some into ice cube trays and freeze them. I do this with lime too, so they're always ready. You usually aren't feeling well and don't want to juice a lemon. Feel better soon.

Respected Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I rub Vick's vapor rub on the soles of my feet and put on a heavy pair of socks at bedtime. It works like a charm to break up the congestion.

I make a pot of chili and a pot of any chicken soup. 

Works for our family.   

I have read articles online that doctors admit that it works, but don't know why. I found a product at the Dollar Tree by Assured (Menthol Relief Stick). It is back by their burn relief creams, hydrocortisone creams, etc. It is not always in stock, so when I see it, I pick up a few. It works great for coughs when you put it on the soles of the feet...and it also stops restless legs very quickly. It is less messy than rubbing mentholatum on the soles of the feet. Just swipe this over your soles instead, and it works wonders.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks so much, everyone!

I feel bad complaining of a simple cold and sore throat, but they sure can make you feel awful.

I made tea with a slice of lemon, honey and a thin slice of ginger.  It seemed to help a lot.

Oh, those colds can really make you miserable. I usually start taking zinc lozenges at the first sign of a cold...and it stops the cold in its tracks.

When we were children and had to stay home from school because we had a cold, my grandmother would sometimes babysit if my mother had to go out. Grandma would make us hot tea with honey, lemon, ginger...and a wee bit of brandy. It would knock us right out, so she didn't have any problem with us kids making a lot of requests.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou

I mean that I don't think he'd want to share a bed with me if I taped onlions to my feet.  It's an interesting remedy and would be worth a try if I had a spare bedroom.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@house_catOh Live a little and shock him and try it.

Lol, I was kind of annoyed at him when I went to bed last night - it would have been a good night for the onions! 

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

1 part honey to one part Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

Take one-two tablespoons every hour or so.

Then purchase some saline nasal spray.  Take off the squirter, pour out some saline and fill it with 1 Tbsp or more of Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.  Shake and spray twice in each nostril every 1/2 hour.  This will kill any start of a sinus infection or anything else brewing. 

It all works naturally without drugs Smiley Happy

Peppermint oil is also fantastic for eleviating sinus congestion.  I apply it directly under the nostrils and even the sinus (just be careful not to get in your eyes).

Eucaliptus oil is also great to rub on your chest/under nostrils for congestion.

Also, I purchase something called Thieves.  It's a blend of essential oils that will actually prevent illness and cut illness time in half.  I purchase this from Young Living.  Or you can go on Amazon and buy it.  It's expensive, but it works.