Respected Contributor

Highly recommended inexpensive treadmill

I've been wanting a treadmill as the weather here all summer has made it almost impossible to get my walks in.  I found one on HSN for $399 and it had great ratings.  I got it two days ago and I just love it!  It is a Weslo (space saver feature too).  It's not as fancy as your more expensive machines, but is very quiet, has range from 1-10 mph, has 3 preprogrammed weight loss workouts and 3 preprogrammed intensity training workouts, a place to put your bottle and book - just about everything I wanted.  I'm 64 and it only took me 30 minutes or so to put together - only around 12 screws - they give you the tools.  So if you are looking for a treadmill, I would HIGHLY recommend this. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Highly recommended inexpensive treadmill

@hoosieroriginal....glad you found a treadmill you liked.  I love to walk and this summer was just miserable to walk outside.  I have an eliptical that I think I might need to sell...I am having back issues and I don't know if it is OK to use it.  I am waiting for an appointment to discusss it with the doctor.

Do you know how long the walking area is on your treadimill? Many years ago we purchased one  (treadmill) but it was uncomfortable to walk on there was not a long enough stride.......

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hoosieroriginal....glad you found a treadmill you liked.  I love to walk and this summer was just miserable to walk outside.  I have an eliptical that I think I might need to sell...I am having back issues and I don't know if it is OK to use it.  I am waiting for an appointment to discusss it with the doctor.

Do you know how long the walking area is on your treadimill? Many years ago we purchased one  (treadmill) but it was uncomfortable to walk on there was not a long enough stride.......

@Mom2Dogs - that's funny.  I got rid of my eliptical and got the treadmill.  The bed on the treadmill is really long - I don't even come close to the end of it even taking long strides.  My only concern was a few reviews said the boxes were damaged when they received them.  I called HSN a few days before it arrived to see what my options were if the box was damaged (since it was coming all the way from California to Indiana).  They were so nice, said if it is damaged, just refuse it, call them, and they would send out another.  I am really impressed with the quality of this treadmill, especiallly for the price!  I have no more excuses this winter - want to get to spring without gaining weight this year!  Good luck with your back. 

Respected Contributor

Your treadmill sounds perfect.  I just looked on HSN and found a Weslo Cadence G5.9 for $399.  Is that the model you bought?

Honored Contributor

This sounds like a great price. I am deciding between a treadmill and the Pilates Pro Chair. The only reason I am leaning more towards the Pilates is it doesn't take up much space, and I already have an XL Glider, and a stationary bike, so space is getting very limited. But I love walking on treadmills, and getting that good cardio workout! Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

Almost 20 years ago we purchased a ProForm treadmill from HSN.  We paid between $400 and $500.  Within the last month it died.  It was a great piece of exercise equipment and worth every penny. 

We are in the market for another, so I'll take a look at the one the OP suggested.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs

Depending on ones leg/stride length can make a difference. I put over 20,000 miles running on my old treadmill. I am 5'8" and never had an issue running at 10mph with it's 50" running belt length. I could even move forward and backwards while running, no issues.

I will say this about running. Leg speed turnover(shorter strides) is much more efficient for running faster, as opposed to longer stride lengths. I am only adding this for comparative purposes with the physiology of running. Taking shorter strides "MIGHT?" While walking might be the same, I do not really know.

My newer Sole treadmill has a 60" tread length. For walking, unless one has very long legs and likes to take long strides, you could probably get by with a 50" belt length, but I personally would go with 55" minimum.

My old treadmill has an 18" tread belt width, my Sole has a 20" width. The Weslo I checked ($399.95) has a 50" X 16" belt surface. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)