Honored Contributor

Re: Help me understand this!

@151949 wrote:

I can't even begin to imagine what diet would get rid of lupus, RA, fibrfomyalgia and some undisclosed additional autoimmune disease. (lupus is an autoimmune disease.) I can't comprehend what effect diets have on these disorders, other than weight loss if the person is heavy.

Diet and weight loss helps the overall "stress" on the body.... it really does.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

If everyone followed their doctor's orders, and did what they knew they should do, we would probably have a healthier society, but that is not the case.  We all do exactly what we want to do. While some people may not understand the choices of others, it really is not our business.  Some people feel they need to justify their decisions because they know others will be critical of them. None of us truly know what someone else may be dealing with in making decisions.  I try to be supportive of people who are going through medical issues even if I don't agree with their choices.

Guilty as charged! You are right on though.

I am my own worse enemy and I'm not a stupid person.

I need to lose 50lbs. and it would get rid of the one Metformin pill I take to have better control of my blood sugar.  I most likely could also get rid of my Simvistatin.

I like my dad, have atrial fibrillation so, Metoprolol and Xeralto will be my life.

I am so very grateful that I have no autoimmune disease as my DH does.  His started with psoriasis at a young age from which he now has psoriatic arthritis in his fingers, hands and knees.  He is on anti rejections medications as he had a kidney transplant 9 years ago.

He is an amazing man who very rarely complains and every day he says that he is blessed to have come through stage IV bladder CA.  He chooses to focus on the positives in his life and carry on to the best of his ability.

My hat's off to all those suffering physically and mentally.

Honored Contributor

I've heard the same type of answer before at WW meetings. They don't want to give up a comfort food, for better health and see if there isn't a way they can substitue something else for their favorite. You have to make the decision on what's most important to you. Again, you can't keep doing what you've been doing, and expect different results.  I've yet to find a way, to make body weight fall off my body, w/o changing around a few things.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I've heard the same type of answer before at WW meetings. They don't want to give up a comfort food, for better health and see if there isn't a way they can substitue something else for their favorite. You have to make the decision on what's most important to you. Again, you can't keep doing what you've been doing, and expect different results.  I've yet to find a way, to make body weight fall off my body, w/o changing around a few things.

My mom told me at a fairly early age that she knew I was destined to have a weight problem as most newborns lose a few oz. in the hospital.  Not me, she said I gained a few oz. 

Anyway....my mom never had a weight problem and in fact, was quite petite and ate whatever she wanted.  However, her key/answer to keeping her weight manageable was: eat whatever you want, deny yourself nothing BUT.....just eat half of it.  MODERATION, MODERATION.

I wish I had that turn off switch in my head that allowed me to do this.  I took Phen-Fen when it came out in the early 90's and it worked wonderfully until they took it off the market. I NEVER felt the urge to eat.

Respected Contributor

I think most of us have the ability to justify what we do...whether it is positive or negative. Your co worker may not be able to emotionally accept a change in lifestyle.  Perhaps, she is still young enough that she doesn't worry how she is going to feel when she is older. Her aches, pains and sicknesses have become her "normal"...they define her...who would she be without them?  I have battled with weight issues my entire life and there have been times when I just said "this is who I am and I can't do anything to change it".  I was at that point last August when I suffered a herniated disc that affected my sciatic nerve.  I had never experienced such severe pain for such an extended period of time.  After having a spinal injection, I knew it was up to me to make my situation better.  I've lost 60 pounds and I walk 3 miles almost everyday now...but that was a decision I had to make...no one could do it for me.  

Respected Contributor

OP here- as many have noted it is not my business to lead a horse to water or try to make it drink. 

I was just so shocked at her attitude- if she does not care I am not going to lose sleep over her problems or decisions, I am just so amazed.

As someone with arthritis and joint pain and swelling I was OVER THE MOON when this dietitian isolated my trigger foods.  Staying away from some VERY HEALTHY foods (that I love) keeps me 100% pain free,  I am on no medications- none. 

I eat the wrong vegetable and I have joint pain for hours or days depending on the amount I ate.  My doctors are astonished at my recovery. 

Yes, I could take meds to control my symptoms but for me, it is a no brainer.  Change my diet and avoid meds.

To see these women try to start families and continue to have miscarriages breaks my heart.  They are both so thin and frail (although Abby is looking better every week and her weight is coming back on)  and all of us worry for them, but yes at the end of the day we all make our own choices.

Honored Contributor

I worked with a library aide who was pretty much exactly what you describe.  I taught nutrition and she would say beans, potatoes, and corn taste "GOOD"!  I guess so.  All three began to metabolise into sugar in your moth.  She "didn't" like vegetables and ate 1/4 cup of salad when they had it "for me".  

She became diabetic and now her doctor said she may lose her sight!

Honored Contributor

I really think that the concept of "comfort food" actually CAN change.

For me, comfort food WAS at one time one or two of the LARGEST Hershey Chocolate bars.

Now, after learning first hand the satisfaction of healthy weight loss, I can take cozy comfort from a bowl of berries and a bowl of nuts.

SERIOUSLYSmiley Very Happy!!

Honored Contributor

I have been on a gluten free and dairy free diet for many weeks.  I won't go into why....it is a long story.  It is very restrictive  but I am feeling better.  Now, I have to figure out which one is the real culprit so today I started back in on a little dairy.  I am hoping it is just one of these and not both.  If it is both....I will learn to eat differently and get me some new cookbooks so it doesn't get too, "boring".  If it's between diet and pain....I'll take the diet!!!  I mean...enough pain can make you just want to die.

Maybe she has just given up.  Maybe she needs to hear more success stories and a cheering squad!   Not to say everything works for everyone but surely it couldn't hurt to try.  I hope she will. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant, my guess, form a ton of reading, is that gluten, not dairy, exacerbates your issue (whatever it is). The genetics of wheat were artificially changed from 14 genes to over 40 in such a short time our human bodies have not had enough time to adapt. I am better in SO many ways since giving up gluten a year ago.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop