Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy or (almost healthy) Meals

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Laura, give PB and chocolate a try....you can decide is it for breakfast or dessert!  I use Lindt 90%: it did not take me long at all to really love it....Also, PB2 came out with a chocolate variety: I have it, but haven't tried it yet.

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  Not sure the PB would do it for me (it really tastes like awful dirt to me) although that is my favorite ever candy combo.  

I actually don't want to go there because I've been really successful with no sugar in the past year and I have the great cholesterol results to prove it.  I personally stay away from anything resembling candy or sugar treats because it's a gateway for me personally but it's a great step down if you are just starting out with kicking the bad stuff out.  

It's taken me about 5 years to finally kick sugar to the curb pretty much completely and I don't want to tempt fate with anything I might really like on a regular basis like a chocolate oatmeal breakfast.   

Honored Contributor

A great make ahead breakfast is omelette cups. Take all of your main omelette ingredients and divide the mixture into a cupcake pan. Bake in the oven and you have 12 mini omelettes you can keep for the week. Quick, easy and high protein with as many vegetables as you want to pack in there.

I personally like spinach, broccoli and just a bit of cheese. Others have done corn and hot sauce for a Spanish flair. Get creative with what you'll eat.

And a word about eggs: unless you've been told otherwise by a doctor, perfectly fine and, in fact, better for you if you use the whole egg. Most of the egg's nutrition including the Vitamin D is in the yolk and it really won't affect your cholesterol levels unless you eat them all day every day. Eggs are one of the best proteins out there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night's dinner was a stir fry-

• gluten free pad thai rice noodles

• sauce- teriyaki (GF), peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, coconut oil, chicken broth, ginger tea, fresh garlic and sriracha, blended together in the Vitamix

• roasted peanuts

• sauteed veggies-

-ETA- celery

-fresh broccoli

-matchstick carrots

-baby portabella mushrooms

-red pepper strips

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Laura, give PB and chocolate a try....you can decide is it for breakfast or dessert!  I use Lindt 90%: it did not take me long at all to really love it....Also, PB2 came out with a chocolate variety: I have it, but haven't tried it yet.

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  Not sure the PB would do it for me (it really tastes like awful dirt to me) although that is my favorite ever candy combo.  

I actually don't want to go there because I've been really successful with no sugar in the past year and I have the great cholesterol results to prove it.  I personally stay away from anything resembling candy or sugar treats because it's a gateway for me personally but it's a great step down if you are just starting out with kicking the bad stuff out.  

It's taken me about 5 years to finally kick sugar to the curb pretty much completely and I don't want to tempt fate with anything I might really like on a regular basis like a chocolate oatmeal breakfast.   

@Laura14, I have the same problem with sugar. This year I am really going to try and beat it. I gave up smoking years ago but my addiction to sugar has never left me. I associate it with good times in life and I need to break the cycle. One taste and I want the whole thing.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Poodlepet2

@Laura14, I have the same problem with sugar. This year I am really going to try and beat it. I gave up smoking years ago but my addiction to sugar has never left me. I associate it with good times in life and I need to break the cycle. One taste and I want the whole thing.

@Trinity11

Years ago I read that if you're constantly craving sweet things, it's very likely you aren't getting enough protien!    I found it to be true for me.   If you like, test this theory and see if it helps you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sweet Potato Chips/Fries

This can be used for just about any vegetable but it's a quick and easy way to make a snack or side depending on how thin you slice.

I like sweet potatoes which I slice thin for chips or cut into thicker wedges for a side.  You can spray them with canola oil or use real oil in a bowl to cover and season them.  I use a non-salt seasoning.  

Toss them on a foil covered baking pan so they are lying flat and not on top on one another.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until tender or for chips until crisp.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Poodlepet2

@Trinity11

Years ago I read that if you're constantly craving sweet things, it's very likely you aren't getting enough protien!    I found it to be true for me.   If you like, test this theory and see if it helps you.

@Tinkrbl44, thank you. I had low protein on my last lab results. I was cutting back on fish and chicken which made me weak in addition to craving sweets. I am increasing my fish intake with limited amounts of chicken...hopefully it will help.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Sweet Potato Chips/Fries

This can be used for just about any vegetable but it's a quick and easy way to make a snack or side depending on how thin you slice.

I like sweet potatoes which I slice thin for chips or cut into thicker wedges for a side.  You can spray them with canola oil or use real oil in a bowl to cover and season them.  I use a non-salt seasoning.  

Toss them on a foil covered baking pan so they are lying flat and not on top on one another.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until tender or for chips until crisp.  

Sounds really delicious! I need to use my oven more for vegetables. My daughter makes Brussel sprouts drizzled with olive oil and she sprinkles them with a little sea salt. They are soooo good!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I am surprised the Mods haven't moved this to the "Recipe" forum....I really would like to see it there because you are free to post recipes.

More people have adopted whole foods as a life style, and I think this important topic would reach more people.

Poodlepet2

I like it here. I once went to the Recipe area of the boards and most of it was extremely unhealthy so I never went back to read. Here I am able to follow the thread which I have enjoyed reading immensely....

@Trinity11

ITA .....   I've read a few recipes in that section that made me do double takes .....  and ask myself:

"Holy _____, don't they know ANYTHING about nutrition?   Do they REALLY feed this to their loved one?"  

OTOH, some people post really good recipes.    lol

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Sweet Potato Chips/Fries

Sounds really delicious! I need to use my oven more for vegetables. My daughter makes Brussel sprouts drizzled with olive oil and she sprinkles them with a little sea salt. They are soooo good!

@Trinity11  I have had sprouts in my freezer to try that for a year now.  I really need to get on it!