Honored Contributor

Healthy or (almost healthy) Meals

I'll start in case anyone wants some inspiration. According to my post in the healthy eating plan, here's what I've learned to do that works well for me.

Dinner and four other meals. I put a pound of ground turkey because you don't have to drain it and it's better for you (you can use beans for veg lifestyles) and skillet shortcuts from Picsweet which I found in Walmart. Ingredients are red potatoes, onions, and red and green peppers.

Throw it in a pot and cook/brown for 10-15 minutes. Spice it with what you like. This is the time I sneak my tumeric in.

While it cooks, I microwave a sweet potato which you get in your supermarket wrapped in plastic. It takes about 5-6 minutes. Top it with something you like that's real but not too terrible. I do put full fat sour cream on mine. Low fat anything tends to be added sugar and, in my opinion, fat is good for your brain. You just don't live in it or have it every meal or every day.

Voila! Healthy dinner with nothing processed and four more grab and go meals that I can make into a burrito, chili, shepherds pie, etc...

Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy or (almost healthy) Meals

14829651400751454156770.jpg

Honored Contributor

1482965294716757295676.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

I like sweet potatoes with cinnamon. I will look at Walmart for your suggestion. 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
I'll start in case anyone wants some inspiration. According to my post in the healthy eating plan, here's what I've learned to do that works well for me.

Dinner and four other meals. I put a pound of ground turkey because you don't have to drain it and it's better for you (you can use beans for veg lifestyles) and skillet shortcuts from Picsweet which I found in Walmart. Ingredients are red potatoes, onions, and red and green peppers.

Throw it in a pot and cook/brown for 10-15 minutes. Spice it with what you like. This is the time I sneak my tumeric in.

While it cooks, I microwave a sweet potato which you get in your supermarket wrapped in plastic. It takes about 5-6 minutes. Top it with something you like that's real but not too terrible. I do put full fat sour cream on mine. Low fat anything tends to be added sugar and, in my opinion, fat is good for your brain. You just don't live in it or have it every meal or every day.

Voila! Healthy dinner with nothing processed and four more grab and go meals that I can make into a burrito, chili, shepherds pie, etc...

@Laura14, Thanks, I can always use the inspiration! I appreciate the ideas.I would love to hear more from anyone else!

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Laura14

I like sweet potatoes with cinnamon. I will look at Walmart for your suggestion. 

@butterfly123  My local supermarket doesn't carry this particular product but I do find it in Walmart in the frozen vegetables section.  It's not even $2 if I remember right.  The turkey is $2 and the sweet potato is $1 so five meals for $5 and 20 minutes of cooking in one night with one pan to clean .  Works for me.  Smiley Happy

I love cinnamon too and they say it's very good to lower your blood sugar.  I'd say toppping the potato with anything other than smothering it in cheese would work since everything else is so good for you.  

Honored Contributor

I don't microwave my sweet potatoes.  I like them better roasted in the oven.  I top them with sour cream and fresh salsa.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14

Thanks for the tips. I'll be trying this out next week.

Honored Contributor

I make sweet potato toast slices. Use them in place of bread. Top them or spread them with anything you like. Slice potato in half-inch slices and place in toaster. Mine take four cycles of toasting to get them tender and slightly browned. 

download.jpg

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I make sweet potato toast slices. Use them in place of bread. Top them or spread them with anything you like. Slice potato in half-inch slices and place in toaster. Mine take four cycles of toasting to get them tender and slightly browned. 

download.jpg

@SilleeMee

That is interesting.  They don't make a mess in the toaster?