Honored Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

@Bri36 wrote:

You would think being a nurse and all, you would understand why they schedule surgery for that time.

Yes because according to those who post on this board nurses are all knowing of all things and we have no personal feelings about anything. We are just to be happy to be everyones slave. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

@151949 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

You would think being a nurse and all, you would understand why they schedule surgery for that time.

Yes because according to those who post on this board nurses are all knowing of all things and we have no personal feelings about anything. We are just to be happy to be everyones slave. 

Slave?  I don't know what that means regarding your issue.

Honored Contributor

I am not a morning person, so I feel your pain.

Besides complaining, there is nothing else to do.  Just be thankful, you can sleep to 7 am or longer on most other days this coming year.

Also, be thankful you can complain.  Many women have lost their DH and would be more than happy to give up a few hours of sleep to have him by their side.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for your DH.

Honored Contributor

I just have had it with non nurses on this board telling the nurses their INCORRECT opinions about what nurses should do, say, be and know. Why would I - a retired ICU nurse - who worked only in ICU have any knowledge at all about how they schedule cases in the OR? Or - why would I , who never worked in this hospital have any knowledge how they schedule their cases?

Esteemed Contributor

I feel your pain. I was told to be at the surgery center at 5:00 am a few years ago for out patient foot surgery. It is a little over an hour drive. Get there, go in main hospital part, but when we get up the area we were told to go (correctly)for surgery, the doors are locked with notice on them that they don't open till 5:30. I was steaming.

DH had to have gallbladder surgery few weeks ago. He didn't have to check in till 8:30 that morning. Happy, happy, happy!

@151949, I hope your hubby does well.

Esteemed Contributor

Its been an office person who usually schedules our surgeries.

Honored Contributor

@happycat They did tell us to come in thru the ER and tell the triage nurse we are there for surgery and she'll tell us where to go next.

Respected Contributor

My surgery was scheduled for 9am. I had to be there at 6:30am. I don't live far from the hospital and I didn't mind. I'd rather have an early surgery before the surgeon gets behind schedule. I was out of the hospital by 10:30am.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

My DH is having surgery up in Sarasota Monday AM . We have to be there at 5:15 AM - need 45 min to get there even that early when there is no traffic, so we'll have to leave home at 4:30 & we'll have to get up at one3:30 because DH needs to shower and shave with antibacterial soap etc. before we go. Every surgery or procedure either of us ever has is always the first AM one requiring this ridiculous wake up time. Just once I'd like to be the second case - the one who gets to sleep in til 7AM.

@151949

Not me! I want the earliest time I can get, and my wife is exactly the same, regardless of which of us is the patient. 

Then there is no "the previous procedure(s)/surgery(s) were longer than expected" given for your time being an hour or more behind schedule.

Lack of sleep? Who cares, not me or my wife. We are both retired and can sleep any time we choose. The lady that works the Procedure Center, for all Outpatient Procedures at our hospital, is a good friend of mine. Her son played in my hockey league and she is a big hockey fan.She says most patients she sees come in wish they could have gotten an earlier time, especially the person doing the waiting, not the patient.

No empathy from this oft "been there, done that" patient and the one in the waiting area. Go to bed earlier or schedule the "whatever", later in the day. Doctors do more than 1 procedure(maybe not yours), but most do not go to a Surgical Center or hospital Surgical Room for 1 patient.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hope all goes well with his surgery, and a great outcome.