Honored Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

@151949 I understand..it's going to be a long stressful day of waiting for you.I think as a nurse that you have more knowledge of the things that can go wrong and that leaves you with more to worry about.I hope everything goes timely and well and that you can sneak in a little nap sometime during the day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

Seems as though this isn't the first time you have posted about travel times and distance for appointments.

You have options - you can either find doctors that practice, operate and use facilities closer to your home or get a motel/hotel room the night before.

Honored Contributor

Whatnow, you always confirm my first impression of you--  that of a dear, caring, perceptive soul.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter Yes she probably could but maybe there are reasons that we aren't aware of that she chooses not to stay in a hotel.She is most likely just a little worried and posted in hope of some support.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I just have had it with non nurses on this board telling the nurses their INCORRECT opinions about what nurses should do, say, be and know. Why would I - a retired ICU nurse - who worked only in ICU have any knowledge at all about how they schedule cases in the OR? Or - why would I , who never worked in this hospital have any knowledge how they schedule their cases?

I find the idea that an ICU nurse doesn't "have any knowledge at all", when many surgical cases go straight to the ICU after the RR, rather strange to say the least. Not to mention, every hospital I have worked in (5-6 large urban) passes the next day's surgery schedule out to pretty much every department in the hospital with "need to know." ICU definitely "needs to know."

People aren't saying things you don't appreciate about nurses, they're responding to your seeming lack of knowledge in several areas over many threads re things that just about any nurse should know. 

Credibility; it's a Good Thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@CelticCrafter Yes she probably could but maybe there are reasons that we aren't aware of that she chooses not to stay in a hotel.She is most likely just a little worried and posted in hope of some support.

There's no evidence that she's worried about anything. She seems to be very annoyed at the wake-up time for the early requested arrival time of her husband's surgery. She wants to be able to sleep until 7 AM. It's just a gripe, not a cry for help.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I just have had it with non nurses on this board telling the nurses their INCORRECT opinions about what nurses should do, say, be and know. Why would I - a retired ICU nurse - who worked only in ICU have any knowledge at all about how they schedule cases in the OR? Or - why would I , who never worked in this hospital have any knowledge how they schedule their cases?

I thought everyone knew...lay people included, that the first people to be taken in for surgery are always those who have pre-existing conditions where not eating could affect the outcome. Almost all diabetics are scheduled early morning ....in the operating room as you know being a nurse, it is a lot more dangerous for a patient to take their oral meds or insulin before surgery and have hypoglycemia during the procedure. It is safer to run a little high, so often times the first insulin dose of the day or oral meds are given AFTER the surgery and delayed. Thus the scheduling early morning... I

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I thought everyone knew...lay people included, that the first people to be taken in for surgery are always those who have pre-existing conditions where not eating could affect the outcome. Almost all diabetics are scheduled early morning ....in the operating room as you know being a nurse, it is a lot more dangerous for a patient to take their oral meds or insulin before surgery and have hypoglycemia during the procedure. It is safer to run a little high, so often times the first insulin dose of the day or oral meds are given AFTER the surgery and delayed. Thus the scheduling early morning... I

I didn't know about this, but it definitely makes sense re pre-existing conditions. My diabetes is rarely taken into account - I presume because my numbers are decent and I have no issues like neuropathy & going low. 

When I have procedures & surgery, I want to be an early case. Maybe not the earliest, but for outpatient surgery anyway, I've always been very slow to come out of anesthesia - like extra hours. I think current anesthesia options are much better than they used to be for that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'll always take that first slot. I believe it gives you more time during the day, if anything goes wrong or you have questions or complications after leaving, to get back in touch with the actual people involved in your procedure (as opposed to going to the emergency room etc.).

In my opinion, the staff is fresh and with it, where later in the day, they may be winding down or be tired. 

If we have to be too far away from home that early, we will simply get a hotel room in that city for the night before.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I know a lot of nurses, and they know a lot of other nurses....and they all talk. They have at least second hand knowledge of just about any type of nursing, facility and the procedures, what doctors, hospitals, clinics are good, which are not. They know enough of 'the basics' to understand why certain things are done or scheduled certain ways. 

As in any field, I guess you know what you want to know.