Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever had shingles twice?

Why don't you all just get a shingles vaccine?? I got shingles once, years ago and don't plan on going through that again! 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@ID2

Before I got shingles multiple times I resisted getting the vaccine because the CDC states that it is effective 51% of the time and I figured life gives me a 50% chance.  In my opinion, at the time, one percent difference was not worth taking the shot.  I tend to be very selective on the shots I take (as well as for my pets) – that is not to say I refuse all shots, just decide carefully.  After getting shingles multiple times I decided I needed any extra help I could get and went ahead and got the shot and I haven't had shingles since.

With 51%/49% odds of actually helping I can understand why some people skip this shot since not having it is 50%/50%.  However, having experienced the pain & misery shingles unleashes on a body for prolonged periods of time I would now say I recommend that shot, even with 51/49 odds.  And the older a person gets the more likely they are to develop shingles and potentially it may be harder on them if they get it at a later age.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

My mother who got the shingle vac has gotten shingles more than once.

They said she only gets mild cases because she had the vaccine......!!

She started getting shingles in her 60's, but is VERY healthy, active, eats well, exercises and is retired.  How or why she gets shingles is a mystery.

Respected Contributor

In response to the question " why don't you all just get the vaccine?" The advertising for the vaccine says do not get the vaccine if you have a weakened or compromised immune system. I for one, fall under that category.