Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever had shingles twice?

I've had shingles four times. First time I went to dr. Early and caught it in time to heal it. The other times it came back in different places, and took for ever to go away because I was too late going to the dr. Sometimes it seams like it may be tiring to come back in the form of a single bump, but eventually goes away. I have itching and strange nerve sensations in these areas years later.

Honored Contributor

Sure wouldn't hurt to call the doctor & ask advice. You could have DH take a photoof the spot & email it to the doctor?? (Just a thought)

My former boss had a bad case, and she had it start to come back a couple of times. She jumped right on the medication and each time it was nipped in the bud. She had it in her eye - scary!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I had shingles once, when I was 26!  Thankfully it was a mild case.  But, I've been afraid of getting it again.

I asked my doctor to allow me to get the vaccine.  I'm 58, but it is now approved for those 50 and older.  He won't write the script until I'm 60.

18 months to go..................

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

I had it once. I hope I don't ever get it again. My hand swelled up to the size of a softball. It was on my arm. If was so painful.

Honored Contributor

@mima@ccassaday@onlyshopsonline@Moonchilde

@Azcowgirl

DH got shingles around his eye. (Bike riding direct sun TX heat no sunscreen)

He wasted no time in going to the ophthalmologist and was RX' d drops.

After It subsided, he got the vaccine.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can get shingles twice.  I once worked for a woman who had a terrible case of shingles.  Her entire back, she was out of work for months.  A few years later, she developed another case of shingles on her side but it was much less severe than the first attack.  I remember her saying that her doc warned her about that.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

@Nightowlz

Shingles comes from the chicken pox virus, not the measles. If you have even had the chicken pox, you are susceptible to shingles.

@Havarti Ok I was thinking it was measles. I don't know if I had chicken pox or not. If both my sisters had it I probably did to. I will ask my dad if he knows but I already know the answer from him will be I don't remember.

Respected Contributor

Update: I did not have the shingles again, thankfully.  It was on the back of my neck where I couldn't see it.  It was an infected hair (sorry gross). It hurt, so I instantly thought I had shingles again. LOL

Thank you all for your replies.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I've had them twice. In my late twenties it was on my leg. In my fifties I had them again around my waist. Each time I knew why I got them. First time on vacation I had been stung by bees and also had a bad sunburn...my immune system reacted with shingles. Next time I was also traveling and was in a stressful situation. I think those were the reasons. It was uncomfortable, but not too painful. I've since had the Zoster vaccine. Hoping I am done with the shingles. 

I had a tingling sensation in the area before I knew I had the shingles. Same reaction the 2nd time, so I went to the doctor asap and got a prescription. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@My MIMA wrote:

Update: I did not have the shingles again, thankfully.  It was on the back of my neck where I couldn't see it.  It was an infected hair (sorry gross). It hurt, so I instantly thought I had shingles again. LOL

Thank you all for your replies.

@mima

Glad it wasn't shingles again! Hooray! 

I have had them twice in different places - first on thigh and second time on trunk.  The second time was less severe. Both outbreaks were when I was in my 40s. Got the vaccine for the first time last year. I am in my 50s now.