Super Contributor

Re: Have you ever had shingles twice?

Yes! I have had them 4 times----the first time I was in High School and I am 64 now.  I have them in the same place each time----but I never had a very severe case-----they never spread in too big of an area.  The meds to help lessen them---I can't take----gave me horrible headache and other symptoms.  But, as soon as I could turned 60 I got the shingle vaccine and have not had them again-----I don't even have that residual pain that pops up from time to time in the affected place. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes. I have had shingles four times. Stress is my trigger. 

For me, each time was in the same area – abdomen. However, it can come back in a new area just as easily. The first couple of times it was horrible because for the initial one I just thought it was a rash so I tired changing soaps, double rinsing things, creams, etc. By the time I went in it was too late for the meds to help. The second time….I did not know you could get shingles twice, I was sure once you had it you were done so I did not go in right away. By the third time I went in immediately and the meds worked and the suffering was lessened. The fourth time, I knew I was under a great deal of stress at work, plus I had to travel for a prolonged period of time so the doctor gave me the meds to take with me just in case. Sure enough…I developed shingles on that trip and was so grateful I had the meds to take immediately. After all that I did get the shingles shot and I developed a shingles=type rash in the area of the shot that lasted nearly two years. Since then, I have retired and been shingles-free!

I would waste/invest the money on the doctor’s appointment and go in ASAP for peace of mind and the possibility of a jump start on lessening the outbreak if at all possible.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

When I turn 60 vaccination.
Honored Contributor

No, and I have not had them at all.  I have an auto-immune disease and COPD, I surely do not need Shingles.  I pray I do not get it.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you get shingles... and god forbid shingles twice.. Man SurprisedWoman Surprisedit is a cry out / a wake up call.....that your immune system is really needing help!  Are you taking care of yourself? Stress, illness, poor diet, poor absorbtion of vitamins,  and pharmacutical meds all contrinbute to a poor immune system, As we get older our immune systems need even more help!~   

Look into supplements and lifestlye changes you can take and make that might help you to keep the shingles virus at bay and to not override your immune system.   Many many great options out there and information to read up on.   

Honored Contributor

My sister had them twice. I don't remember if it was the same place or not. I don't think it was as bad the 2nd time. I know one time she had her gallbladder removed & still had severe pain. They found the rash on her back & said she had shingles. She had to take pain medication. My younger sister also had them. Hers was on her face, close to the eyes, neck. So far I have been lucky & have not had them. Knock on wood because I don't want them. I know I had the measles when I was a little kid plus I also has the 3 day measles when I was a teenager.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz

Shingles comes from the chicken pox virus, not the measles. If you have even had the chicken pox, you are susceptible to shingles.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

My 2 dear aunts each had shingles at least twice. 

One had them around the body and then near her eye, the other had them twice around her trunk.

Honored Contributor

I've never had shingles but a friend of mine broke out with the rash on her back. She had gotten the Zostavax vaccine which apparently did not work for her. After a second outbreak in the same area on her back, she received low-level laser treatments and she said they were miraculous. She got several of these treatments back to back and after the rash subsided she has not had the rash return.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Please google "Lysine" for shingles relief.    I take 1,000 mg daily with the same amount of Vit C.   You can increase the dosage if you feel an attack coming on.

I got shingles a couple of years ago, also on my back. It was awful..didn't have insurance, so I used lysine. The nerve pain lasted six weeks or more. I take 2,000 mg daily now..won't be without it!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West