Respected Contributor

Have you ever had shingles twice?

I know you can get them twice.  Did you have them in the same place? 

I had shingles a few years ago and it started on the back of my neck on the right side.  I have one bump that hurts in the exact same place they started before.  I'm praying it isn't shingles.  I remember before my neck was swollen and it isn't swollen right now.  I'm debating whether to go to the drs. It may be just a bug bite.  I know it is important to get meds as soon as you have them to lessen them.  I had DH look at it and he said it is just a red spot.  Probably red from me rubbing it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever had shingles twice?

@mima wrote:

I had shingles a few years ago and it started on the back of my neck on the right side.  I have one bump that hurts in the exact same place they started before.  I'm praying it isn't shingles.  I remember before my neck was swollen and it isn't swollen right now.  I'm debating whether to go to the drs. It may be just a bug bite.  I know it is important to get meds as soon as you have them to lessen them.  I had DH look at it and he said it is just a red spot.  Probably red from me rubbing it.

Hubby had them twice but the second bout wasn't as bad.  I THINK they were in the same place don't remember.  I'd go and let the doc tell you if you can and what to look for in the future.  I THINK there's something you can take that will lessen them.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@mima wrote:

Hubby had them twice but the second bout wasn't as bad.  I THINK they were in the same place don't remember.  I'd go and let the doc tell you if you can and what to look for in the future.  I THINK there's something you can take that will lessen them.  

@SoonerYes, there is something to lessen them.  The first time I went to the drs. and if you take the meds within 48 hours you don't get them as bad.  I didn't have them very bad the first time.  Don't get me wrong, it was bad enough!  I just discovered this bump yesterday afternoon, so I'd have until tomorrow to get the meds.  Thank you for your reply.

Esteemed Contributor

@mima Yes, you can get shingles again!! I got it 3 times!! It came in the exact same area every time .Each time it came with fewer symptoms ,it lessened.Please go to your doctor & get the medication to keep your condition under control.Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  Thank you.  I guess I'll call them now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ

omg  3 x   Smiley Sad    Thats a nightmare...........  had them once ...I pray I never get them again

Respected Contributor

Yes, I've had them twice.  First was 3 years ago this month. It started on the right side of my back at about armpit level. I was desperately sick and had to be hospitalized that time. I can tell you that I had a month I don't remember very well. High fever, terrible pain, nausea and vertigo that kept me in bed. The vertigo has never gone away.

Right after this past Christmas I began to realize that there was discomfort in the same place. It got worse and is not completely gone at this point. Like last time, it circled my body and continued to the breast bone in front. A little less pain than last time, and not nearly so sick.  

I also have two cousins who have had it twice. One in Texas, age about 48, gets it on the top of her right leg. It circles the leg completely and lasts about a month.  Another in California, a 90 year old male, gets it on his face each time. The woman in Texas had taken the Shingles shot. The man has not.  I have not taken the shot, and my doctor doesn't suggest it because I often have strange reactions to meds.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma It sure wasn't fun.The first time was brutal!! The next two where less uncomfortable each time.But still wasn't fun.It's been a few years since the last attack.Fingers crossed!!!

Respected Contributor

I had a severe case years ago that lasted one month.  Was in such pain I couldn't function.  Got a shingles shot a few years later, but got a very mild case on my forehead (the first case was on my left side) a couple years later.  Woke up and my eye felt like someone was stabbing it, then developed a red raised area above my eyebrow and on forehead- immediately went to dr and optomitrist and got viral meds and it went away fairly quickly. 

Honored Contributor

Please google "Lysine" for shingles relief.    I take 1,000 mg daily with the same amount of Vit C.   You can increase the dosage if you feel an attack coming on.

♥Surface of the Sun♥