Respected Contributor

Has anyone had a PRP treatment to treat ankle tendon?

[ Edited ]

Good morning.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with having a PRP treatment to treat any tendon issues in their foot/feet.  I've been dealing with a months-long ankle/arch tendon issue, and this might be my last (or second to last) option before surgery.  I'm on the fence about doing some weeks of physical therapy compared to just doing this treatment as soon as tomorrow, if I choose, and staying in my walking boot for about two weeks.  If anyone has any knowledge or first-hand experience, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, all.  :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a PRP treatment to treat ankle tendon?

No experience from me but if it saves you from surgery and p/t and it works, then I would do it. Especially if you could get it so soon.  Does your insurance cover it?  What does your dr think/say about it? I have an arthritic toe I've been thinking about prp for. I guess I would be thinking about if it didn't work and then having to get the surgery anyway---Foot surgery is no fun--well surgery in general is no fun---

Regular Contributor

Well, it wasn't me and it wasn't an ankle - but my husband had PRP for his elbow issues and it helped tremendously.  He is pain free now.  Also, my brother had PRP for his knee issues and, again, it helped and he is doing very well.  

It seems to be a procedure that is offering relief without being very invasive.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what PRP Treatment is but in 1998, I had surgery on my right ankle to correct a tendon problem.  It was stretched out which caused my foot to pronate very badly.

The surgery was quite an ordeal.  I was in a wheelchair for a couple months then on a walker in a boot.  Went to PT to get strength back in my leg.  I was pretty incapacitated for at least 3 months.

In the end, it proved to be pretty much a waste of time and effort as the condition still exists today and never improved.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have no idea what PRP treatment is.

Before you have surgery have you done any research to see if there's any options besides surgery?

I use red light therapy a lot. I don't know if it will help your situation but it's worth looking up.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  I've never heard of PRP either.  Anyway, sorry to hear all you went through.  I've heard of others who went through the same and also had little or no results.  I guess ligaments are a little tricky.  One of my ankles was sprained years ago, and it never healed correctly.  I still have trouble with it from time to time.  In fact, it's been giving me pain for the past few weeks.  It happens if I slip a little or turn it some way.  

Respected Contributor

@AnnieBelle   Ooooh, that's good to hear!!!  I decided to do it and my appointment is tomorrow afternoon.  Keep you posted.  Thank you so much for responding.  Glad your hubby's elbow is better.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   Thanks for your fast reply!  I am very flat-footed so what's supposed to be my arch (!!) on my left foot, like yours, is over-pronated and aches.  A lot.  I've been in walking boot on and off since April, I've had six laser treatments, I've had a few cortisone shots.  This weekend I was absolutely miserable again, out of the blue, couldn't even put any weight on my foot.  When I went to the podiatrist on Monday morning, I was thinking surgery was gonna be happening, but he told me about this PRP which is done in his office and takes hardly any time.  I'll have to be back in my boot for another two weeks.  I can do that.  Insurance doesn't cover it, but I figure the $500 out-of-pocket is likely less than what my insurance would bill for physical therapy.  Sorry to bore you, I'm just happy that I got 5 replies!!!!  Thanks tons!!  Keep you posted.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz   Thanks for your reply!!!  I did six of the red light laser treatments in the doc's office.  Meh.  No real relief.  PRP is this:  a little bit of my blood will be drawn from my arm and coagulated down so that my plasma can be injected into the tendon.  It's supposed to help speed up the healing process.  I figure if I've had cortisone injected into me which helped a lot, I might as well have my own plasma injected.  You get some numbing injections first so I won't feel anything other than maybe some soreness at the injection site for a day or so.  It'll be better than surgery, that's for sure.  What I didn't like about the surgery option is that you get knocked out instead of just a bunch of locals.  Then there's the whole recuperation process with no weight bearing, keeping an incision dry, etc.  Hoping PRP tomorrow does the trick.  Keep you posted.  And again, thank you for replying!!!

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Nightowlz   Thanks for your reply!!!  I did six of the red light laser treatments in the doc's office.  Meh.  No real relief.  PRP is this:  a little bit of my blood will be drawn from my arm and coagulated down so that my plasma can be injected into the tendon.  It's supposed to help speed up the healing process.  I figure if I've had cortisone injected into me which helped a lot, I might as well have my own plasma injected.  You get some numbing injections first so I won't feel anything other than maybe some soreness at the injection site for a day or so.  It'll be better than surgery, that's for sure.  What I didn't like about the surgery option is that you get knocked out instead of just a bunch of locals.  Then there's the whole recuperation process with no weight bearing, keeping an incision dry, etc.  Hoping PRP tomorrow does the trick.  Keep you posted.  And again, thank you for replying!!!

@BarbiHollywood 

I did a little more reading about the red light therapy. It did say laser light is a better option. I have my pad around my knee right now. What a relief.

At least you have an option besides surgery. Hope the PRP works out for you.